Interviewer?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Pete

Interviewer?

Post by Pete »

I was just thinking................
if Leonard participated in a tv interview/chat show that enabled the interviewer to have the time to explore, develop, question and delve 'under the surface' in a non-superficial and knowledgeable way and not from a script..who could that interviewer be?

Here in the UK our chat show hosts/ interviewers wouldn't know where to start.
I'm struggling to think of someone.....

Pete
Diane

Post by Diane »

That's a good question, Pete. Let's say definitely not Jonathan Ross.

What about Joan Bakewell? That would be interesting, I fancy.

This is a piece she wrote about poetry for The Independent a few months ago:

http://comment.independent.co.uk/column ... 813543.ece
margaret

Post by margaret »

Alan Yentob would do a good job. I've seen a number of his programs. One in particular I remember he did with Arthur Miller just a short time before his death.

Or how about Michael Parkinson? He's actually a jazz lover so would no doubt appreciate Anjani too.

Just thought of another serious literary person, Melvyn Bragg.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Diane
yes, definitely not Jonathan Ross. I think Jonathan would be so out of his depth he'd get the bends trying to find witty responses.

Joan Bakewell? Yes.. that could be a possibility. Would she stick to a script or meander with intent?

Margaret
Alan Yentob? You might be right but would he be passionate enough about his subject.
Michael Parkinson? I thought of him but thought he might be too ...too...too... entertainmenty
Melvyn Bragg? Yes...you could be right. I think he would be excellent. He adds that reflective dimension. He also was very polite to Liz when the both of them were waiting for a train at a small, rural station in the middle of nowhere :)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

He also was very polite to Liz when the both of them were waiting for a train at a small, rural station in the middle of nowhere :)

Perhaps he might even mention that in the interview... "So, Leonard... you know Pete on the LC Files Forum, don't you... the one who wrote The Diamond's Mine? Well, did you also happen to know that his wife, Liz, and I were out in the middle of nowhere together, waiting for a train? She was just lovely... Now, was this the kind of situation you had in mind when you wrote your famous line 'the train or someplace later'?" You know, he really could use it for a segue, if he cared enough.

~ Lizzy
Pete

Post by Pete »

lizzytysh wrote:
He also was very polite to Liz when the both of them were waiting for a train at a small, rural station in the middle of nowhere :)

Perhaps he might even mention that in the interview... "So, Leonard... you know Pete on the LC Files Forum, don't you... the one who wrote The Diamond's Mine? Well, did you also happen to know that his wife, Liz, and I were out in the middle of nowhere together, waiting for a train? She was just lovely... Now, was this the kind of situation you had in mind when you wrote your famous line 'the train or someplace later'?" You know, he really could use it for a segue, if he cared enough.

~ Lizzy
By jove..I think you might be right. I know Leonard would have just the right response.
Just a minute????????????? what were Liz and Melvyn doing waiting for a train in the middle of nowhere???? :shock: I never did get to ask
Tim

Post by Tim »

<post deleted>
Last edited by Tim on Tue May 01, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Hi Tim, I don't often bump into you on here, tend to see you more in reality than in this place. Oh, how romantic, the idea of meeting someone of Melvyn's calibre on a deserted train station in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere. Mind you, I don't much care for his hair style. And didn't he have that deeply unfunny Little Britain on his show. I mean, I know you can't define art, but really :shock: . I think Jonathan Ross is quite intelligent, but he is far too loud and fast and intent only on provoking responses to which he can respond and illustrate his wit. At least Parky shuts up long enough to let his guests speak. Most of what's on TV passes me by, but the person who crossed my mind when I first read the question was Dan Cruikshank. He is not an interviewer, and his main interest is architecture. But his personality is just that which I think would suit the job of interviewing Leonard: He is conservative yet quirky, highly intelligent, humorous, and has a breathless reverence for spiritual symbolism.

Anyhow, is this just a fantasy you are indulging us in here, Pete, or do you have contacts in the media and reckon you can swing it? I haven't watched the South Bank Show for about a decade, but let me know and I'll tune in.

Diane, back after Easter (have a good one everyone)
david birkett

Paul Gambaccini

Post by david birkett »

PAUL GAMBACCINI

Always admired his combination of shrewd insight and presentation skills.

Michael Parkinson as a more populist stand-in.

Happy Easter to all.

David
Last edited by david birkett on Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ogre does what ogres can,
Deeds quite impossible for Man,
But one prize is beyond his reach:
The Ogre cannot master speech.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Diane
A fantasy??? I don't do fantasies.... not midweek anyway. I don't have any contacts but surely the BBC at least, especially BBC4, have the resources and wherewithal to do this. I guess it would take time to set up and Leonard would have to be here for a little bit longer than his recent flying visit.
I haven't heard of Dan Cruickshank... maybe someone who is not so famous would do a better job.

Tim
It was Kingham Station near Stow on the Wold
Tim

Post by Tim »

<post deleted>
Last edited by Tim on Tue May 01, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Tim wrote:oh... I was thinking 'Brief Encounter' for some reason :wink:
sorry Tim..I missed that connection :)
Pete

Re: Paul Gambaccini

Post by Pete »

david birkett wrote:PAUL GAMBACCINI

Always admired his combination of shrewd insight and presentation skills.

Michael Parkinson as a more populist stand-in.

Happy Easter to all.

David
..and a happy Easter to you David :)

Paul Gambaccini? I think he would do a good job but he would have to do his research so as not to be too biased towards the music side of it all.

It's all hypothetical anyway :D

I think any of us here could do a good job.

What would be the opening question to set the standard and the scene for the interview?
Now..that is worth thinking about........................
Tony

Post by Tony »

How about Boris Johnson?
margaret

Post by margaret »

Now that we are getting a bit silly, an interview with Graham Norton could be amusing :shock:

Return to “Comments & Questions”