Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song,” Daniel Geller and Dayna Goldfine

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
danslenoir

Re: Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song,” Daniel Geller and Dayna Goldfine

Post by danslenoir »

Hi All - any idea on when this movie is likely to become available eg, paid for video-on-demand or subscription to online streaming services?
Born With The Gift Of A G

Re: Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song,” Daniel Geller and Dayna Goldfine

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
Heather1969

Post by Heather1969 »

No idea how to attach the link to this but it’s at the Tribeca film festival. The bit at the bottom is most interesting.

HALLELUJAH: LEONARD COHEN, A JOURNEY, A SONG

Music, Biography
A deep-dive into the eponymous iconic hymn, Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song chronicles the life of legendary musician Leonard Cohen, whose poetry evolved into a successful career as a singer-songwriter. Inspired by the book The Holy or the Broken: Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley & the Unlikely Ascent of Hallelujah by Alan Light, Leonard’s story is told here by those who knew and loved him, including record executive Clive Davis and collaborator Judy Collins, who chart Leonard’s life, from his beginnings as a child from a wealthy family in Montreal through his multi-year stint in a Zen monastery—as a man and an artist. The film spotlights the writing, recording, and singing of the song “Hallelujah” and its ever-evolving lyrics, performed here by a multitude of artists, including Bono, Rufus Wainwright, Bob Dylan and k.d. lang, a song that’s been sung everywhere from weddings and funerals to Coachella and movie soundtracks.

Emmy-award winning team of director Dan Geller and producer Dayna Goldfine bring us this in-depth exploration of an artist and his process, weaving intimate interviews with rarely seen personal and performance archival footage. Fans of Cohen and his well-loved song will come away with a deeper connection to both.--Karen McMullen

After the Premiere Screening: A musical performance in tribute to Leonard Cohen with Judy Collins, Amanda Shires, Sharon Robinson and Daniel Seavey.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song – Check out the poster for the new documentary

https://www.liveforfilm.com/2022/05/09/ ... cumentary/

In Theaters in NY and LA on July 1, 2022.
Also here -
https://www.msg.com/calendar/beacon-the ... -the-event
Beacon Theatre, New York, NY. Sun, Jun 12, 2022/ 6:00pm. Doors at 5:00pm
and here -
https://www.ticketsmarter.com/5132813/t ... ney-a-song
Tribeca Film Festival: Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen - A Journey, A Song New York 6/12/2022 6:00PM
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Post by B4real »

For our NZ neighbours "across the ditch" from Australia, the New Zealand International Film Festival presents this film from 28 July - https://www.nziff.co.nz/nziff-2022/film ... ey-a-song/
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Here's the official trailer for this film -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11IPQYZMXjc
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Hi all,
Dave and I follow anything Leonard on Instagram, and the trailer keeps popping up in our feed, but no info about when, where, and how to watch it. All I can find is that it is not available for streaming, will be at the Tribeca Film Fest next month, and opens in theaters in LA and NY on July 1st. We are hoping it will come to a theater near us, even Seattle, or is available for streaming or purchase soon afterwards.
Vickie
B4real

Post by B4real »

Vickie, So far I haven't had any emails about a city near you for this film.
Also, this one below arrived late in my inbox today and it seems that it may have been free-
https://newsroom.ucla.edu/dept/faculty/ ... mer-museum
June 21, 2022
Join the Hammer Museum at UCLA, KCRW and the UCLA Film & Television Archive for Summer Night Cinema — a free public program presented Tuesday nights through the season. Attendees can enjoy after-hours gallery access, drinks and bar bites at Lulu and the film screening. Galleries will be open until the films begin at 7:30 p.m.
Maybe some forum members went to it and can let us know what it was like.

For Australian viewers its almost here -
https://www.nme.com/en_au/news/music/ne ... th-3252106
Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song will first screen in Sydney and Melbourne on July 14, before debuting in Perth the following month on August 11.
mutti

Post by mutti »

I watched a trailer today and it listed various cities in the US only that the film will be shown and where. Vicky Seattle is on July 22nd at the SIFF Uptown Cinema on Queen Anne Hill. Its not on their website yet.
Here is the link I saw. On the bottom left area is a link 'Release Schedule'.
Leslie 8)

https://tickets.hallelujahfilm.com/?fbc ... g6rK2GB1xA
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Hello,
Thank you for reaching out about the events in our neck of the woods. We did see that Seattle had an event, but it happened to be on the same day that our flight left to meet our new grandson in Arizona (nuts!). We are still there now, but we will renew the search when we get home next week. Thanks again!
Vickie
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

'More than a song’: the enduring power of Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/j ... ocumentary
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
christineanne

Post by christineanne »

Still waiting to know when and where in the UK so this will have to do for now.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... dApp_Other
B4real

Post by B4real »

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Panel Discussion
Directors Dan Geller and Dayna Goldfine, and head of the Cohen estate/Executive Producer Robert Kory discuss HALLELUJAH: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KUxXQzHGBI

Check out at approx. 31:35 mins because Robert Kory says about Hallelujah,
"There are ALL these other verses that one day will be digitized and be available".

I'm wondering what ALL means and how many of them Leonard will be singing?
Some could be from the live tours and alternative studio/home recordings.
But to my knowledge, there are other verses he wrote and never sang/recorded.
Maybe they'll get one or more other artists to sing them.

EDIT:
Ah, on reflection, that was a wonderful but maybe a bit ambitious thought!
And perhaps the ALL refers to just those other verses shown in the film.
Also, "digitized" probably means only the words themselves will be available and that's still wonderful too :)
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

HALLELUJAH: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song will be screened throughout the United States in July and August.

Here is the US schedule:
https://leonardcohenfiles.com/relsche.pdf

Tickets can be purchased here: https://tickets.hallelujahfilm.com/
You can watch the trailer here: https://youtu.be/11IPQYZMXjc

Dates for Canada will be released tomorrow. European and Australian dates coming.

I will post some of the better reviews of the film on the Forum. For those who have seen it, what do you think?
Attachments
FXJkMyrXoAEn_Gq.jpg
Marie
Speaking Cohen
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

https://thirdcoastreview.com/2022/07/10 ... ard-cohen/
Third Coast Review

Review: A New Documentary Honors Leonard Cohen and “Hallelujah,” His Greatest Gift to Us All
LISA TRIFONE JULY 10, 2022

3 out of 4 stars

It’s a credit to Leonard Cohen, the great Canadian author, poet, songwriter and performer, that his song, “Hallelujah” plays across a significant portion of Daniel Geller and Dayna Goldfine’s new documentary Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, a Journey, a Song and at no point does it become annoying or overused. The song, which you would know when you hear it, is perhaps one of the best-written melodies of all time paired with the deeply meaningful lyrics, and since it was first recorded in 1984, it’s been covered by everyone from the Velvet Underground’s John Cale to k.d. lang to a cappella group Pentatonix, each bringing their own sense of musical language and emotion to this song that plays more like a hymn, a prayer.

The story of the song itself is an interesting one, from being all but forgotten on Cohen’s 1984 Various Positions album to being covered for a tribute album and finding new life across artists, genres and generations. But the film itself is much more than just the impact this one song continues to have on audiences and musicians; it’s a full chronicle of the life, work and philosophy of Leonard Norman Cohen, a man who helped define Canadian and American culture of the mid-20th century. At nearly two hours long, the film plays more than sufficient homage to “Hallelujah,” but it takes its time in getting there, recalling Cohen’s childhood and early years in an Orthodox Jewish family in Westmount, Quebec, before he got serious about his music career. Peppered between archival photos and footage of Cohen over the years are interviews with everyone from his professional collaborators, past lovers and friends to musicians like Glenn Hansard, Regina Spektor and Rufus Wainwright, who all speak to Cohen’s enormous influence over them.

At times, the film feels a bit amateurish, edited simply and including oddly placed (both within the film and on the screen) title cards that jump us between events in Cohen’s life. There’s nothing slick or special about what’s on screen, but it is all productive, as each segment further illuminates the artist’s state of mind and intentions during every stage in Cohen’s story. Moments featuring archived interviews with the man himself, included several conversations he had with longtime friend and journalist Larry “Ratso” Sloman, are easily the film’s best as it’s the best opportunity we get to know the man from the source himself. A very close second to that are the many, many snippets of “Hallelujah” from different artists over the years, on its journey from tribute album to movie soundtrack and more as it found its way into the popular conversation. The arc of that bit of this story is nothing less than fascinating, learning as we do how close this song came to never actually seeing the light of day.

Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, a Journey, a Song may not be the best-looking documentary ever, but as far as a chronicle about Leonard Cohen and this very special song, the film more than gets its point across. Its final act, exploring the song’s many interpretations and its writer’s worldwide journey on one last tour around the world, is something special indeed, a reminder that great art not only entertains, it moves us in ways both unexpected and inevitable. In a career filled with high points, “Hallelujah” is Cohen’s greatest gift to us all—and one that keeps giving. Just today, a cellist at local street fest I visited was playing an instrumental version as he busked the afternoon away. It was a beautiful way to greet the afternoon, and a welcome reminder of this special film. I dropped a few dollars in his case as thanks.

The film is now playing in theaters, including at Music Box Theatre.

Marie
Speaking Cohen

Return to “News”