never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:33 am i presume there exists original handwritten letters and compositional scores? ...
Yes, loads of them -- not hard to find examples online -- Beethoven's handwriting often leant to the right (when it wasn't madly chaotic), which can indicate right-handedness, and in portraits he was depicted holding quills in his right hand. But some uncertainty originates from Anton Schindler's account, who wrote a biography of Beethoven and said that Beethoven composed music with his left hand. The problem is that a lot of what Schindler wrote was later called into question (he made up a lot of stuff!), and so he is not considered the most reliable source, but a lot of what he wrote was accurate, too. So... as I said, mixed reports.

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:33 am ...thank you for the links! a relaxing section of music. quite a contrast to beethoven's thunderous pieces. i have also read about the difference between a violin (small) and a viola (big). apparently they can both be called fiddles, depending on the style of music being played. good to learn something new! :)
You're welcome! A lot of Beethoven's music is not thunderous at all -- for some reason, it seems to be the case that many of his most popular and famous pieces are amongst his more bombastic works, and yet, they really are but a fraction of his oeuvre. Exploring his music is a lot of fun, because it reveals such a tremendous range and variety of moods and sounds and styles -- Beethoven seldom repeated himself (almost never), with each and every piece having quite a distinct sound and character, covering the gamut of musical expression and human emotion!

As for fiddles, classical violinists often refer to their instruments as "fiddles", and to themselves and each other as fiddle players, and to the parts written for violin as the fiddle parts -- it's quite charming! Check out this interview with Itzhak Perlman for numerous examples!

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/ent ... the-fiddle

Cheers, all!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

thank you for all of this, lisa. very appreciated! you have such an incredible command of the english language. such eloquence.
------------------------------
a sketch that probably needs no introduction :)
255.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

My pleasure!

How about a picture? A photo, not recent. I'm the little one, with my older sister. We were wearing one of many matching outfits that were inflicted upon us throughout our childhood.
Me and Sister.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>How about a picture?
-----------------------------------
YES! what a great surprise! matching outfits, yes - perhaps a special occasion too - maybe. your left hand is holding something but it's too blurry to identify. i would imagine you are about 18 months and your sister five years or just under. you both look so adorable. photos like this are more precious than gold; are often one of a kind and cannot be replaced if lost. i wouldn't use the word 'inflicted', though. i think it looks rather sweet when siblings are dressed the same. if you (or anyone else) has others, don't hesitate to post :)

once again, this was so unexpected - thank you a hundred times! :)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:09 am ...your left hand is holding something but it's too blurry to identify. i would imagine you are about 18 months and your sister five years or just under. ...

once again, this was so unexpected - thank you a hundred times! :)
Glad you enjoyed the photo -- we do look rather cute! I don't recall the occasion, but it was likely something out of the ordinary for us to be dressed in that manner. I came across the photo today purely by accident -- it was in an envelope on a shelf on which I was looking for something else. Spot on about our ages: my sister is 3 years older than me. I am holding a used flashbulb from a camera, very similar to the ones pictured below -- I got those pics from the internet. I do, however, I still have the camera that took the above photo (it's an Agfa), and possibly a few blue flash bulbs, but they are not readily at hand. Cheers!
Vintage Camera with flash assembly.jpg
Blue Flash Bulbs.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote [edited]:
>I came across the photo today purely by accident -- it was in an envelope on a shelf on which I was looking for something else. ... I am holding a used flashbulb from a camera, ... I still have the camera that took the above photo (it's an Agfa) ... Cheers!
---------------------------------------------
as you still have the camera, that might have helped you identify the bulb in your hand.
you don't say what you were looking for, so i hope you found it.
255.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:53 pm ...you don't say what you were looking for, so i hope you found it...
Yes, I did find it! :D

Your above sketch reminded me of hearing "A Singer Must Die" at one of Leonard's concerts in Las Vegas about 14 years ago -- he played it solo, it was quite a treat, totally unexpected!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>Your above sketch reminded me of hearing "A Singer Must Die" at one of Leonard's concerts in Las Vegas about 14 years ago -- he played it solo, it was quite a treat, totally unexpected!
-------------------------------------------------------
a nice memory! i have heard him singing it at concerts, but never solo. wishing you a great weekend.

someone with lines in his face ;)
255.jpg
"i kiss her open mouth and i praise her beauty"
255.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

"the people in my songs are all me! -dylan
255.jpg
"in the hollow of the night"
255.jpg
german composer, indian ink, miniature (10 x 8cm)
254.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

". . . and it's once for the devil and it's once for christ"
254.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:46 pm "Look, you're gonna have to serve somebody, Bob"
I think that statement is a fallacy: nobody has to serve anybody! Making it an either-or proposition -- God or the Devil -- is not only a false dichotomy, but a fantasy, because it can be reasonably argued that neither exists! Even if they do exist, there is no reason why anybody must serve them. Human beings created the idea of servitude to a supposedly higher power, based on ignorance and mythology and fear, which stubbornly persists to this day. Religion has a lot to answer for! ;-)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>I think that statement is a fallacy: nobody has to serve anybody! Making it an either-or proposition -- God or the Devil -- is not only a false dichotomy, but a fantasy, because it can be reasonably argued that neither exists! Even if they do exist, there is no reason why anybody must serve them. Human beings created the idea of servitude to a supposedly higher power, based on ignorance and mythology and fear, which stubbornly persists to this day. Religion has a lot to answer for! ;-)
-------------------------------------------------------------
couldn't agree with you more, lisa. they're not my words, but you know that.
dylan is a shrewd businessman, and was undoubtedly hoovering up a corner of the market by pretending to have been converted - and christians swallowed this falsity hook, line and sinker - as they are prone to do. money doesn't talk, it swears, of course. leonard frequently cherry-picked from the bible, but he used it more as a source for inspiration; he didn't come to fool us :)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:37 pm ...couldn't agree with you more, lisa. they're not my words, but you know that...
Indeed! 8)

Want to see what I've been doing this week? A new instrument joined my collection the other day: a Romantic guitar built in France in 1830! For those paying attention, that was the same year that the Paganini/Berlioz guitar was built. It was a good era for French guitars -- they are so beautiful, they sound amazing, and mine is no exception! As you can see, Oh, it is really such a pretty one -- I've included a close-up shot of the mother-of pearl inlaid decoration. It has been professionally restored and plays like a dream!
French Romantic Guitar.jpg
French Romantic Guitar 2.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>Want to see what I've been doing this week?

most certainly!

>A new instrument joined my collection the other day: a Romantic guitar built in France in 1830!

yes, and so beautful is indeed a fitting description! had keats not died a few years earlier one could have imagined the opening lines of endymion were inspired by exactly this guitar!

a precious instrument made almost two centuries ago by a craftsman who obviously loved his work, who took pleasure in creating something special. you have a good eye for treasure when you see it, lisa - and you are so fortunate to have this exceptional item in your possession. apart from its musical voice, it has great aesthetic value, and one's mood could be lifted merely by gazing upon its visual attractiveness. enjoy playing on your new acquisition. i envy you!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:22 am ...you are so fortunate to have this exceptional item in your possession. apart from its musical voice, it has great aesthetic value, and one's mood could be lifted merely by gazing upon its visual attractiveness...
Indeed, I am very fortunate -- it is a privilege to be able to play a beautiful historical guitar that has had such a long life -- it is astonishing to think of the world as it was when that guitar came into being, and the giants of music and poetry who lived (and died) around that time. I know very little of its past, other than where and when it was built and by whom -- the name of the craftsman who made it is stamped on the inside, but details of his life prove elusive. I am sure that he would be thrilled to know that one of his guitars continues to be loved and played, now half way around the world, almost 200 years on! In fact, the guitar appears to have been well-loved and often played, based on the signs of wear, which is no surprise considering the exceptional feel and sound of the instrument -- it is an absolute gem in every way, overflowing with charm and character!

And, it most definitely can lift one's mood merely by gazing upon it, with it's little smiling bridge and lovely design!

Cheers!

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”