Report by someone who have listened to the whole album

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

On December 2, Sony Music Netherlands presented all ten songs from Old Ideas to music journalists. Two residents of facebook group “I need a regular dose of Leonard Cohen” attended the event.
Ine Mensink-Jenniskens made the great report about it in a series of posts in the group.
She graciously allowed me to repost it here: http://old.currentcohen.com/holland
remote1

Re: Report by someone who have listened to the whole album

Post by remote1 »

Many thanks for this Roman, it is really exciting! :D
"We are so lightly here"
B4real

Post by B4real »

ah Roman,

Thank you so much for this link. :D
They are the lucky ones to have already heard the album. It sounds like a very emotional feeling surrounds all the songs. I certainly hope this is not as Ine Mensink-Jenniskens feels that it could be Leonard's last album. It has already been stated previously that another one is still being planned after this one. Whatever happens, the time had better move a bit quicker as far as I'm concered to hear these new words and music!!

Bev
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you so much for this link. How incredibly fortunate they were to attend this meeting and get to hear the whole album.
Loved the flow of excitement and can hardly wait for the new album to be released!
thanks again
Leslie/ Mutti 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Roman

Thank you so much for finding this and reproducing it on your site. It is a fascinating read. This has really whetted my appetite and I am looking forward to hearing the album even more, it that were possible.

I am however quite disturbed by the sadness and the finality that the writer felt on hearing the album. I do hope they are wrong about this. Time will tell.

Wendy

PS Thank you for the little change you made. I love the green grass - the perfect background. Soothing and no ill effects!
edlosi

Post by edlosi »

Roman, thank you so much for posting this link - can't wait! :D
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

Lucky people ~ how tantalising!
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Dylan's Time Out Of Mind felt like a final statement at the time back in 97 but proved to be anything but...
Kush

Post by Kush »

Maybe it should have been his final statement...
medicinejar

Post by medicinejar »

It's always hard to say about these sorts of things. I really wondered if Dear Heather was about that too. The inclusion of Go No More a Roving but also the overall feel of several of the songs. It could be that this will be LC's final album, but it is also possible he is at an age where one reflects a little more frequently on crossing from this life into whatever awaits us.

I am looking forward to the album.

Cheers
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

On hearing Dear Heather I also thought it sounded like an album made at the end of a career. Then Leonard had three wonderful years touring which rejuvinated him. Now I think his future is at it's brightest. :D There will be no shortage of fans waiting to see him again in concert.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

I thought Dear Heather was just an attempt to step outside the box for a while and I'm glad he did... To A Teacher is very moving. There's a tendency when artists get older to interpret everything in the light of their mortality which I think can be reductive. Whatever LC does now - which is always with integrity - is going to be interesting.
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

medicinejar wrote:It's always hard to say about these sorts of things. I really wondered if Dear Heather was about that too. The inclusion of Go No More a Roving but also the overall feel of several of the songs. It could be that this will be LC's final album, but it is also possible he is at an age where one reflects a little more frequently on crossing from this life into whatever awaits us.

I am looking forward to the album.

Cheers
In my magination this comes from the lips of the ailing Layton Irving. I wonder if he brought LCs attention to this Byron classic when he was dying.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Kush wrote:Maybe it should have been his final statement...
Then we wouldn't have had Modern Times (not forgetting Together Through Life!) probably one of his best ever albums and nearly up there with Blood on the tracks and that's saying something..
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Well said Vicomte!

Return to “OLD IDEAS”