Backmasked message found in Cohen's Secret life

Leonard Cohen's recent albums - share your views with others!
Myrtone

Backmasked message found in Cohen's Secret life

Post by Myrtone »

You know how the first of Leonard's ten new songs opens with the female backing vocalists signing "In my secret life" four times before Cohen's lyrics come in. I played that part backwards (In GoldWave) and found something. First I thought it was gibberish (as you might expect) but I listened again, and I then thought I heard something and convinced myself. Anyone else want to try the same thing.
damellon

Re: Backmasked message found in Cohen's serect life

Post by damellon »

What was it you found?
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

What I found was a backmasked message, go try for yourself.
damellon

Post by damellon »

If I could do it myself, I wouldn't have asked you. I see the link you've given but am not familiar with it. Will investigate later. Thanks
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Hm, this is the third time. Last time it was Waiting for the Miracle played backward (if I recall it well, that time it was something in Hellenic /ancient Greek/ language).
Myrtone

Re: Backmasked message found in Cohen's Secret life

Post by Myrtone »

In the end it's not so surprising, that I'm not the first to go looking for reverse speech in Cohen's songs, given the cryptic language of his poetry makes it quite ample for this, according to David Oats' theory, which I am nevertheless somewhat "agnostic" about.
Joney

Post by Joney »

Ha, ha. Share the mystery please, what are they supposed to be saying.

Funilly with the speed of my addiction to Leonard Cohen my youngest daughter commented that there might be subliminal messages in the songs. I laughed and asked her what she thought those messages might be. She replied "Join the Navy" which I think she got from an episode of the Simpsons when Bart was in a Boy Band. I like the idea of Leonard Cohen telling people to join the navy so now I think you need to share with us what you thought you heard.
Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

Subliminal messages? Actually, there isn't really scientific evidence, but that doesn't stop me from being interested in it, one can believe in anything until it is disproven. I feel that telling you all what it says might be cheating a bit.
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

So what is the message then?
damellon

Post by damellon »

I thought time would tell.......but it's been over a week now.
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

The "subliminal" message is nothing about joining the Navy or anything to do with Paul McCartney's supposed death. Could it bee that no one here has the software to play sound files backwards? Those with the vinyl version could try by simply spinning the record backwards. I did email one our forum members the message, (I uploaded the sound file onto this site and sent them a link), but I still have no reply, I might send someone else.
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

Would spinning An LP backwards cause damage, or at least accelerate wear? I have a few Cohen albums on vinyl but would be hesitant to try this.
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

Patrick, why would an LP wear faster backwards then if played forwards, remember it has been doen before (by disc Jockeys) without making records unplayable, I would like to know the quality of you records, and the thickness of them (more gramms is better and means less wear per playing),higher quality vinyl (I'm pretty sure) lasts longer, and the turntable you use, also different cattriges operate at different contact pressures, lower means less record wear. Unless you want to disclose these details publicly, then email me directly. But then again, you may not need to, if I send you the sound file I have and you downlad it, you'll hear it.
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

Hi Myrtone, thanks for the link. Will check it out when I have time. I have a Sony turntable. It was quite expensive although I don't use it too often. May try spinning the discs backwards but still feel uneasy about it. It just seems to me that the discs would be running against the needle. The needle would then be pushing into the disc rather than being drawn across it. By the way, my name's Eric. Patrick Kavanagh is a famous Irish poet who's work I have quoted on my signature line.
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
Myrtone

Post by Myrtone »

Birdonawire wrote:May try spinning the discs backwards but still feel uneasy about it. It just seems to me that the discs would be running against the needle. The needle would then be pushing into the disc rather than being drawn across it.
Yes Eric, I forgot about the anti skating mechanism, it is true that when you spin a record backwards it would amplify the skating force, I don't know whether this mechanism can be adjusted for playing backward but you could try, there may exist some anti-skating mechanisms that can do this, I'm not sure. But I did send you the sound file, so you may not need to do this anyway.

Return to “Live in London, Dear Heather, The Essential Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs”