Sad news about a Forum friend

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Andrew (Darby)

Sad news about a Forum friend

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Dear Forum friends,

It is with a heavy heart that I pass on the very sad news that our fellow Forum friend, Paul Galvin, passed away yesterday. This is an excerpt from the email I received from Kay Galvin:
I am so sorry to have to inform you of Pauls passing, he died peacefully yestereday afternoon after a long period of ill health, and we can only thank god that he has found peace at last. I would like to thank all of his friends on the news group for their loving support and the comfort he has recieved over the past years. I would be greatful if you could let anyone else you think appropiate know of his passing, one last favour I would ask of you is a list of songs by LC and Anjani that have appropiate lyrics to be played in the church prior to the service commencing on Friday afternoon at 1.30. Paul had intended to do this but never quite made the time to do so perhaps reluctant to do so as it seemed so final.
I am going to forward the list of songs below, but who am I to say this is an appropriate and definitive list – if you have any additional and/or alternative suggestions, then please post these now. I think I will need to forward ideas to Kay very soon, like tomorrow morning, New Zealand time, so you will need to suggest same by say 12 midnight Western European Summer Time.

Innermost Door
Nightingale
Bird On The Wire
Go No More A-Roving
Here It Is
If It Be Your Will
Undertow

I don’t know if the LC Newsgroup still functions or not as I haven’t been there for years, but if it does, could someone please pass on this news there.

Jarkko, I would like to suggest that we also have some suitable memorial item placed on the LC Files and I’m sure you’ll work on this in due course.

Andrew (Darby) :(
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
lizzytysh

Re: Sad news about a Forum friend

Post by lizzytysh »

This is very sad, Andrew. My heart is with Kay and the rest of Paul's family. I've enjoyed the postings I've read by Paul, and didn't realize he was ill; so this news comes as a shock, as well. He appears to have remained vibrant in spirit until the end. It's a comfort to know that they are finding comfort knowing that he is finally at peace. The selection of songs already chosen is very appropriate. If I think of any others to add, I will email you. Thank you for letting us know.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Paul was a wonderful man. We kept up a steady email conversation and his humor and good will were unending. He sent me a journal that he kept of the period of time that they had Kay's mother living with them. She had Alzeheimer's disease and the tender care that he and Kay both gave her was very moving.

Some of you may remember that Kay's uncle was Burt Munro who Anthony Hopkins portrayed in "The World's Fastest Indian."

Andrew, I think your list of songs is excellent. The only addition that I can think of is "Heart With No Companion." I love the first line, "I greet you from the other side of sorrow and despair."

I will miss Paul very much and send my deep sympathy to Kay and their son.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Sad news - during the years I received Paul's emails every now and then,
and he was so friendly, well informed and always supportive. Andrew,
would you please forward my and our condolence to his family.
Here is Paul's photo he sent about two years ago to the Gallery of BL.
I will change the entry as soon as possible (am now at the summer cottage
and cannot update the Files from here).

Jarkko
dar

Post by dar »

I never know how to convey my sympathies to the family or friends of a forum member who has died. I never knew Paul was ill and dealing with all those issues that come at the end of our lives. Or that his family was also dealing with his illness.
I pray that he was surrounded by love and family and that he will be remembered and loved long after he is laid to rest.
He will be remembered as a warm and wonderful member of this community and he is in my prayers.

I will copy your post to the newsgroup. I'm so sorry Andrew.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Andrew ~

I guess I'll give another suggestion here.

The song Joe has suggested ["Heart With No Companion"] is an excellent one.

Another one I'd like to suggest as a possibility is "The Guests" ~ even though there won't be dancing [unless his memorial service is akin to a wake], there are those who can dance sadly, and there are those who feel the relief of knowing that he is at peace, which can be considered another kind and style of dance. Dance isn't necessarily joyful, nor always intended to represent joy in the typical sense.

Looking at "the broken-hearted few," not every word of the lyrics may seem to fit exactly, yet the more sombre tone and pace of the song does and the voice that calls "Welcome, welcome, cries a voice" dovetails with "I greet you from the other side of sorrow and despair." Still, as is so common with Leonard's songs, when examined closely, every lyric can be seen to fit. I hope Kay will find this song worthy of consideration.
One by one the guests arrive
The guests are coming through
The open-hearted many
The broken-hearted few

And those who dance begin to dance
And those who weep begin
Welcome, welcome, cries a voice
Let all my guests come in
Depending on how long the time allows for however many songs, and the mood she does or doesn't want to evoke, a couple more that Kay may want to consider are "Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye" and "Sisters of Mercy." Her decisions on this are such personal ones; not knowing Paul, her, and the others, it makes suggestions rather difficult. Nothing comes to her without a feeling of sensitivity, though.

From Anjani's album The Sacred Names, the song "Kyrie" is another suggestion. I think Geoffrey may be able to get it to her over the Internet. I don't know what Paul's spirituality was, but this is an accurate description of the album:
"With its sense of heartfelt compassion and all-embracing reverence, Anjani's voice is like hearing the music inside the temple of the heart. It is as inspiring as it is inspired... Anjani delivers a genuine performance in the flame of the human soul."
Dr. J.J. Hurtak

Written, arranged and produced by Anjani, The Sacred Names illuminates the Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek names of God in ten songs of praise. Anjani's celestial contralto is paired with classical guitar on several tracks, including the vocal tour de force, Kyrie.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

What to say...
I looked at Paul's Viewer's Profile just now, and he lists his Interests as 'waking up tomorrow.'
This thought certainly stirs the emotions. He has gone where we all must follow. We'll see him in awhile.

God bless.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Henning

Post by Henning »

Paul was one of the first to order "Energy of slaves". I enjoyed his humour. Rest in peace, Paul.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Kush

Post by Kush »

Rest in peace.
Sherry

Post by Sherry »

I didn't know Paul, but reading the heartfelt things that others have
written about him here I can feel the loss.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Sherry
Last edited by Sherry on Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
margaret

Post by margaret »

Rest in peace Paul.

My thoughts are with his family at this sad time.
Anne

Post by Anne »

Rest in peace, Paul.
Baldwyn

Post by Baldwyn »

I'm sorry to hear the news. For me, I hope they play:
Bird on a Wire (as you mentioned)
Passing Through (although not written by Leonard)

Dance me to the End of Love may serve as well.
Bob Parkins

Post by Bob Parkins »

This is so sad. I’d been aware that Paul had been ailing, but his actual passing still shocks. Whether in posts to boards like this, or in the occasional private exchange over the years, I always found his prose to somehow convey a sense of peace – a commodity which is sometimes in short supply in these parts. He’ll be missed. Actually, he already has been missed.

‘Tis a downer, man.

Peace.
---

Parky

"In hindsight, the vandals regret having taken the handles."
Gypsy_Wife

Post by Gypsy_Wife »

I broke down when I read Kay's e-mail this morning. I knew he was not doing well, but I was "Waiting for the Miracle". I just kept thinking there was more time...there is always more time , isn't there? Guess not!

His e-mails had gotten short and infrequent over the past couple of months, but after all he had to save up his strength. I am shattered and really having trouble processing this.

This is the list of songs, with notations, I sent to Kay:
The song Leonard wrote using bits of conversation on the old news group interwoven with his own words is beautiful. It is “A Thousand Kisses Deep” and is dedicated to Sandy Merriman, a member of the news group, who committed suicide in 1998. It is poignant and beautiful, and best of all church appropriate. It is on the Ten New Songs CD. I also like “Alexandra Leaving” from the same CD. “The Guests”, from Recent Songs seems like it might fit. “Hey, That’s No Way to Say Goodbye” and “Winter Lady” from Songs of Leonard Cohen. Last on my list would be, “If it be Your Will” and maybe “Hallelujah” (but, only this version, as others can be a bit graphic) from Various Positions.
Here's to the few
who forgive what you do
and the fewer who don't even care

Return to “News”