What was Leonard hiding from?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Medusa0blongata

What was Leonard hiding from?

Post by Medusa0blongata »

Leonard said he went up to Mount Baldi (sp?) because he was hiding from someone. Apparently he got himself into some kind of trouble or something. Does anyone know the background on this? I'm really curious.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi MedusaOblongata ~

My perspective on this is that Leonard was "in trouble" with himself, if anyone, at all. He'd had difficulties in his relationship with Rebecca and it was ending about this time... the wall was leaning, more than he was leaning into it... the garbage was piling up... or whatever. Don't know the details, but they apparently [from reports of a lunch with her, and as I recall, Lorca and Lorca's friend] remained friends, so not trouble in any legally culpable sense with her.

Leonard wanted to be near his dear friend Roshi on a more intimate, ongoing, daily basis [others can provide links to articles and such on this] and the monastery was the only place for this to occur.

Leonard may easily have been speaking metaphorically if he made such a comment. Can you find/bring the text where this comment reportedly occurred, so we can see it in context?

Leonard hasn't been in any trouble that he's been running from, in the commonly understood meaning of those words.

~ Lizzy
Medusa0blongata

Post by Medusa0blongata »

There was a video, I think it was called "I'm Your Man" which was mostly poorly done cover versions of his songs, but he is interviewed as well, and he mentions this. I don't own the video so I can't transcribe it for you here, but the impression I got was that he was hiding from the mafia or the law or specific people who were after him, or something like that. I don't know any more than that, which is why I posted the question here. Hopefully someone who knows more, or who knows how to find out more, will chime in here.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Medusa ~

You may want to join the discussion regarding the film itself... rather hotly contested as to its value and worth as a film about Leonard Cohen... or, really, anyone at all.

As far as the impressions you took away from the interview segment [I don't recall that particular comment, or anything similar that would suggest the things you've postured as possibilities ~ I've only seen the movie once] ~ I can only assure you that the guesses you've made don't relate to Leonard's reality. He hasn't had the need to run from anyone... no Mafia or the law or specific people have been "after him" that would prompt him to flee. In that sense, he went to the mountaintop very comfortably.

I can surely understand your curiousity, however; if I'd gotten that impression, I'd want to pursue it, too. Fortunately, Leonard is and has been fine in all of those regards.

~ Lizzy
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

He was probably hiding from the marriage with Rebecca De Mornay :wink:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, if anything, that would be the most dramatic thing he'd have been hiding from, Tom :) . There are those who would have run down Mt. Baldy for same.

~ Lizzy

Return to “Comments & Questions”