Hal Willner's Came So Far For Beauty Tribute in DUBLIN

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Hal Willner's Came So Far For Beauty Tribute in DUBLIN

Post by jarkko »

An eclectic all-star line-up of performers has been announced for a unique and joyous celebration honouring the legendary poet and singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen as part of the Dublin Theatre Festival, in what is arguably the concert event of the year with a staggering line-up of talent.

Hal Willner's Came So Far For Beauty - An Evening of Leonard Cohen Songs will take place on October 4th at the Point, featuring:

Antony, Laurie Anderson, Perla Batalla, Steven Bernstein, Rob Burger, Charlie Burnham, Nick Cave, Julie Christensen, Jarvis Cocker, David Coulter, Don Falzone, Gavin Friday, The Handsome Family, Robin Holcomb, Briggan Krauss, Maxim Moston, Beth Orton, Lou Reed, Chris Spedding, Teddy Thompson, Kenny Wollesen

With two novels and poetry volumes already published, Leonard Cohen's 1968 debut album saw the birth of a new voice of downbeat 60's Americans. His hold on contemporary culture has remained undiminished ever since. Now in this unique concert event, an exceptional collection of musical giants celebrate the singular genius of this seminal 60s icon.

Hall Willner, one of the world's most visionary and original music producers, curates the programme of brilliant arrangements of Cohen classics. At turns jazz, rock, folk, electronica, blues and ballads, each star performer brings their distinctive musical personality to some of the finest songs of the past 50 years.

With a host of singers and musicians performing the best songs from Cohen's total canon - Came So Far for Beauty is nothing less than musical heaven.

"send shivers down the spine" - The Guardian

"floors the crowd" - The Age

Tickets E39.50 / 49.25 / 60.00 / 70.00 including booking fee from Ticketmaster outlets nationwide. Tickets go on sale from Friday, July 7th. 24 Hrs Tel: 0818 719 300 or buy online: http://www.ticketmaster.ie (Telephone & Internet bookings subject to E2.95 S/C per ticket up to E25.00; 12.5% over E25.00 / Agents E2.00). Tickets available from the Dublin Theatre Festival Box Office from August 9th on 01 - 677 8899 or http://www.dublintheatrefestival.com

Came So Far For Beauty - An Evening of Leonard Cohen Songs was originally commissioned in 2003 by the Celebrate Brooklyn Performing Arts Festival with support from the Canadian Consulate General New York.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, you lucky, lucky, Dubliners 8) and nearby-enoughers.

I'm guessing you'll be going, John and Margaret??

Perhaps, some of those folks will have learned all of the lyrics by then :wink: .

~ Lizzy
harriett

Post by harriett »

well i for one will definitely be there, aaah the joys of being back in ireland :)
kieron

Post by kieron »

In my best homer Simpson, Wu hu!

This is fantastic, more than fantastic!! I agree Liz, the words would be usefull this time around. Maybe Nick has polished his effort since the Brighton show, shame Martha will not be there. Gavin Friday is an interesting inclusion, I would have though Jack L would have been a better choice, Why you not there Jack?? I'm sure that Gavins inclusion will ensure the Bono circus attends, jurys out on that one.

I cannot wait to hear Teddy's version of "Tonite will be fine" again. He owned that song in Brighton. Also the Handsome Family will be great.

And as for Perla and Julie, I don't need to say any more in this forum about their contribution. Stunning. I wonder if Perla would conside an additional gig before or after the 4th. Hmm, a quick email might solve that one.

Here's the link to the show, tickets not out yet, pretty soon though as the show was announced in this mornings Irish Times.

Btw, I cannot make Berlin. Work commitments i am afraid.
I will drop you an email Jarjjo to confirm.

Lets organise a meet up in Dublin to coincide with the gig.
All those who are attending email me and we will see if we can organise a night of Cohen in Dublin's fair city, either on the 3rd or 5th.

Kieron
"A terrible beauty is born" WB Yeats.
kieron

Post by kieron »

http://www.dublintheatrefestival.com/ne ... sID=18&m=n

I forgot to post the link in my excitement

Kieron
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Kieron ~

I'm glad you'll be in Dublin. "Let's hear it" for the words 8) !

I'm sorry you won't be in Berlin.

Till next time we meet...

Love,
Lizzy
Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan

Post by Kevin W.M.LastYearsMan »

Sounds cool. I think it's appropriate that Lou Reed will be there. It just seems right. I didn't know a lot of the other names.

I was watching some Cohen stuff on youtube.com yesterday and they had him speaking before the showing of the documentary. It was quite funny. Some of you have probably already seen it. They also have some other interviews and such on there. Many of you probably saw them on the CBC site with the page "Canada's Bard" but I'm mentioning it for some of the people who might not have caught those posts.

I can't let myself get addicted to watching obscure video of my favoite artists and intellectuals today. I have way too much to do and way too many places to go.

Kevin©
margaret

Post by margaret »

I am seriously tempted. Just checked and found silly flight prices (£0.99.each way before taxes!) Liverpool to Dublin with ryanair.com Need to check out accommodation next and if I can spare another couple of days leave from work :roll:

Margaret
Tim

Post by Tim »

I notice tickets are similarly cheap from Bristol. And shamefully, I've never been to Dublin before. hmmm...
Bobbie

Post by Bobbie »

Margaret and Timster.. I hope you decide to go, and very well you should while it's handy to you! I saw the original one in Brooklyn, June 2003, and probably the best concert I've ever seen. Weird how it's all changed since then, though - when Marc and I went, the admission fee was a $3.00 donation! We got to sit in the first row, along with several other Cohenists, compliments of Esther, whom we'd all had dinner with just prior to walking over to Prospect Park. The concert lasted well over 3 hours, and was just fabulous. So do yourselves a favor, and just go! You won't regret it. I see that the line-up is a little different, as well, but seems though, that each one of them is a bit different than the previous ones. There are a few constants.. Nick Cave, The Handsome Family, Julie and Perla... if I remember correctly, they've been a part of all of them, so far. I had never heard of The Handsome Family before seeing them in Brooklyn, and wow..what a combination they are! Really great... since that concert, I've bought 4 or 5 of their cds, and like them all. They have this really surprising element to their music... very fun and playful country tunes, combined with really dark lyrics - I mean REALLY dark... it takes you off guard when you really start listening. Quite delightful and different.

Anyway.... GO! Life is short.
Either that, or it's too long.. depending on the day... heheh.

Bobbie
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Hal Willner has signed ANJANI to the Dublin concert on October 4!!!
It is possible - but not yet confirmed - that there is also
a second concert next day on October 5th.
Looking forward to Dublin - but of course we take Berlin first!
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Bobbie is so right with her description of the Brooklyn concert. Go, if at all possible!

My brother and some cousins and I have been considering going to Dublin so maybe this will be when we can go. I'm emailing them the descriptions now.

Kieron we'll miss you in Berlin-maybe see you in Dublin.

Great addition with Anjani in the line-up!

Joe
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

No kidding on its being great on Anjani!

And, of course, where goes Anjani, there goes Leonard 8) :wink: 8) .

~ Lizzy
Diane

Post by Diane »

Oh, blimey, panic, how the hell will I get to this?! I'll have to find a way :shock: .

Kieron, please put my name down for whatever you plan, thanks :D .

Diane
kieron

Post by kieron »

Thanks Joe, sorry I can't make it. Give my regards to Anne and have a diet coke for me. Be great if you can return to Dublin, Helena and I really enjoyed our night out on your last visit.

Lizzy, my sentiments exactly, where Anjani goes Leonard can follow. Puts me in mind of the line "You go your way and I'll go your way with you".

Bobbie is right, it's a no brainer. Particularly if Anjani will be there. The prospect of second gig the day after is wonderful. Also means that we can spend some time over a long lunch/dinner in between shows :D

Margaret, weren't you in Brighton on the Sunday night? You know what you will miss. Book the cheap filghts and forget about it until after your Berlin adventure. There's plenty of accommodation in Dublin.

Diane, consider your self listed, pm me your email. You too Tim. I forgot to ask for your mail when I replied to your message earlier.

Until later friends,
Kieron

Return to “News”