Getting a Handle on Each Other

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
John the Shorts

Getting a Handle on Each Other

Post by John the Shorts »

I'm posting this in response to another thread. Here is a place to tell each other how we each got our screen names.

John The Shorts - how the hell? The first part is easy my name is John. I used to go and watch the rugby and cricket with my dad and, as I'm an epileptic triggered by high temperatures, I found the clubhouse afterwards very, very warm so always wore shorts (Not so bad in a young lad) However I got older nad encountered "School Uniform" so the shorts were for Weekends and sport only.

Then I went to University and played drums in a band and became, briefly, John the sticks (Even though I wore shorts at this point) as a result of my musical period I went through my long hair, beard faze and became known as ZZ (Top) or Meatloaf (If I shaved).

Then I had my head shaved for charity. (During all this time the shorts remained constant)

Then in October 2001 the department I worked for went on strike. I was the Union Deputy Secretary and stood everyday on the Picket line from 7am until 11am (Only required to do 4 hours a week but...) in freezing cold, icy wind, rain, etc wearing shorts and tea shirt.

Everybody knew me but only from the strike as John the Shorts (or Shorts to some) so I've gone full circle back to my original name - even though I have to wear trousers in work everybody still asks for JTS

JTS (Long winded but then I am :D )
Paula

Post by Paula »

I am impressed it is so much more impressive than me. My mum and dad liked the name and called me Paula :lol:
margaret

Post by margaret »

when I joined the forum my computer skills were somewhat deficient and when putting my name and password in they ended up being reversed, so my more interesting , or so I thought, forum identity has never been seen!
linmag

Post by linmag »

My dad only ever called me or my brother by our proper given name if he was angry with us. Linmag was one of the many nicknames he had for me as a kid - not my favourite, but all the others I tried were already taken.

John, after a couple of your posts last week, I was beginning to think that the shorts in question might have been alcoholic ones. I'm so glad to find that they are of the fabric variety after all. :lol:
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, Margaret, that is so funny. I always saw it as your being British proper. Can you tell us your intended name or has it turned shy with you :wink: ?

And, Linmag, I always figured it was a combination of Linda and another name.

John ~ now there was a story well worth waiting for! That's great....you've really earned that name.

Mine came as a result of a dear woman friend with whom I spent some really fine time with her and her husband when I lived in the Florida Keys. On many Sunday mornings, I would ride my bicycle over to their stilt house and we'd sit on their second-story porch, sharing sections of the Miami Herald and drinking coffee, for hours. She had been studying Buddhism for years ["under" Baba Muktananda, and then the woman who replaced him after he died] and really lived its principles. Being in her presence was always very calming and peaceful. She has a natural kind of modesty and humour that's very appealing. Originally from Boston, Massachusetts. Her husband had an obnoxiousness about himself and he and I were often at odds. She made no excuses for, nor tried to explain away or apologize for his behaviour, which I always admired. Her position was that "He's him and I'm me. And I love him."

Over time, he [after years of making fun of her studies] took them up himself, and they now spend long periods of time in silence in local ashrams, etc. He's mellowed almost to the point of unrecognizability :wink: and after they traveled to India, where they stayed for 6+ months, to help out with various people with eye problems, they returned and he now teaches the blind how to negotiate their day-to-day, real world of blindness. He and I now get along great. She's always called me Lizzytysh, starting in the Keys, and had such a sweet and precious way of saying it, that it was the first thing that came to mind when choosing a name. My mind's eye always saw it spelled as Lizzytish when she said it, but when I first registered for email, that was already taken, so I changed it, and now prefer my own way. It remains in honour of her, and our friendship.

~ Lizzytysh
jurica

Post by jurica »

My screenname is Jurica, because it's my real name, just like Paula's, BUT my parents DIDN'T actualy like the name Jurica. They wanted to name me after my grandad Jura (which is Croatian equivalent to George), and they sent my grandmother to sign the name in all the books where you have to do that. But she felt it was an ugly name for such a little baby, so she signed me Jurica, which is diminutive for Jura...

Therefore I'm Georgy.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Don't fall for it Margaret, Lizzie is after your password. :shock:
John the Shorts

Lizzytysh (If it wasn't for the zz it would have a celtic look to it)

How could you even think that my name was alcohol related? If it was I'd be on a Tom Waits site crooning away to "Bad Liver and a Broken Heart" :? rather than hear where I have "Memories" 8)

Linmag I assumed was the contraction of Linda and Margaret (or somesuch) rather than a parents pet name - I know my parents pet name for me was "Get here you little ***!" :wink:

Margaret - I hope your not suffering from electronic split personality? :D

Paula, Jurica
Unto thyself be true
JTS (Not even been to a pub since Friday!)
Paula

Post by Paula »

linguist eh cunning eh I wonder if that will go over anyones head (no pun intended)

I do hope The Shorts were not accompanied by The Socks and The Sandels.
John the Shorts

Paula

You got me suused within half an hour of my posting! I don't think it will go over the top of anyones head (unless they're australian :P )

I don't like wearing socks or sandals - its normally DMs

JTS
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

JTS there is a site on the web somewhere that sells welsh kilts.
Perhaps you could try them? :wink:
Paula

Post by Paula »

So far we have DM's and shorts. Shoes or boots? I expect you are certainly reconised around the old Homestead :lol:

I suggest a Millwall tattoo and Hawaiian shirt to complete the ensemble 8)

I can't talk my dress sense is akin to Stevie Wonder picking the clothes
John the Shorts

Byron

I'm afraid this is where it gets confusing - there are indeed welsh tartans, but I'm not entitled to wear one as my family (my grandparents anyway) were Irish so I could wear an Irish Kilt!

Paula

I prefer Boots butthe Shoes are cooler, sometimes (for sporting events) it's trainers - What's wrong with Hawaiian Shirts I used to wear one quite a lot when I was drumming.

JTS (No dress sense - no scrub that no sense!)
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Would you have to be measured for a sporran? :shock:
John the Shorts

If you want it to hang properly (I belive the measurement is around the waist but I could be wrong)

JTS

Return to “Comments & Questions”