It's quiztime !!

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Maarten

It's quiztime !!

Post by Maarten »

Since my first visit of The Leonard Cohen Files reminds me of the Winter 2001 Quiz, I decided to make a LC-quiz of my own, as a celebration for The Leonard Cohen Files Ten Years, and of course: just for fun.
The Winter 2001 Quiz kept me searching for the answers for weeks and made me look at the lyrics of LC’s songs much better than ever before. I had the best time ever, just reading, re-reading the lyrics and listening to the songs in the hope to find another answer. Hopefully everyone of you will find this quiz a nice challenge and a good way to get to know LC even better…

The quiz starts right away when I post this and ends on my birthday: November 13, 2005 (Midnight, Paris time).
If you have any questions concerning the questions, feel free to ask! Please do not mail me privately but post a reply on this topic. I will answer there, that way everybody gets the same information.

Answers can be mailed to me!
Write “Leonard Cohen Quiz” in the subject line and the answers in the mail body (use the same numbering as on the questions!)
Also include your (shipping) address and full name (and nick name on the forum if you want) in the mail.

Double entries will be deleted.
Winners will be announced at the end of the quiz in this thread and will be contacted by me for the final arrangements.
Obviously I will also put all the correct answers on the forum at the end of the quiz.

I also have some small prizes for the winners. (See below)

Here are the questions…

Question 1: (3 points)

One of the first publications of LC’s work was in a magazine called “CIV/n”, published in Montreal between 1953 and 1955.
a) What does the abbreviation CIV/n mean?
b) Who first used this abbreviation
a) How many issues of this magazine were made?

Question 2: (2 points)

On how many of his officially released full albums (11 studio and 3 live albums) does Leonard’s head (or more) appear on the front cover of the album?

Question 3: (2 points)

On which song does Leonard comment with:
” A song from the other side of the marriage bed. The room is empty, the window is opened, the lover is gone, a laugh is heard in the stadium.....”

Question 4: (2 points)

In which issue (date, year, n°) of Playboy magazine can you find LC saying:
“I had something in common with the beatniks and more with the hippies. (…) The next thing may be even closer to where I am“?

Question 5: (2 points)

What kind of typewriter (brand, model) used to be LC’s favorite?

Question 6: (2 points)

From which poem is the following extract:
Slow and resentfully came to her bed
Came to her table
In hunger and habit
Came to be fed

Question 7: (3 points)

A couple of Leonard’s first poems were printed in “The McGill Chapbook” (1959).
a) How many copies of “The McGill Chapbook” were printed?
b) How many poems of Leonard are included?
c) In the “Biographical notes” at the end, Leonard Cohen gives his year of birth according to the Hebrew Calender. What is Leonard’s year of birth on the Hebrew Calender?

Question 8: (2 points)

One cover album including songs of Leonard Cohen is called “Edith”.
a) How many songs of the album are attribuated to Leonard Cohen?
b) Which small verse/song lyric is printed on the back cover of the album sleeve?

Question 9: (2 points)

The Field Commander Cohen album has a great cover! But who took the picture for it?

Question 10: (7 points)

Cohen often dedicates novels and books of poetry to special people.
Can you link the following?

a) The Spice-Box of Earth
b) Let us compare Mythologies
c) Flowers for Hitler
d) Death of a Lady’s man
e) Book of Mercy
f) Beautiful losers
g) The favourite game

1) For Marianne
2) For Steve Smith (1943-1964)
3) To the memory of my father Nathan B. Cohen
4) To the memory of my grandmother Mrs. Lyon Cohen and my grandfather Rabbi Solomon Klinitsky
5) To Masha Cohen, the memory of my mother
6) To my mother
7) For my teacher

Question 11: (2 points)

Where did Krantz and Breavman go in LC’s novel “The favourite game”?
“Suspended from the centre of the ceiling a revolving mirrored sphere cast a rage of pockmarks from wall to wall of the huge (name of the place) on lower Stanley Street.”

Question 12: (4 points)

Fill in the correct word in these LC quotes:
a) I don’t feel a prevailing sense of despair. I feel I’m too --- to be sad (1985)
b) I think that --- is the only standard (1982)
c) My father was kinda --- --- as I am a bit. My mother has a good voice but there was always some kind of music around (1977) (2 words needed)
d) My friends think I’m a barrel of --- (1985)

Question 13: (2 points)

Pick the right ending to the following LC quote:
“I’m happy to be 50. Policemen call me ‘Sir’, old ladies give me…”
a) all the love and peace I need
b) their seats on buses
c) the strenght to continue doing what I like doing

That’s it!
You can get a maximum of 35 points if you are a true Leonard Cohen expert…

Here are some small prizes to encourage you to find the answers:

The prices:

1) One press kit for the release of “Ten new songs”, 2001 (8x10 picture of Cohen by Laszlo and a 5 page biography by L. Sloman)
2) One picture of Leonard Cohen as seen on page n°6 of “The gallery of Beautiful Losers” on the LC-files (approx. 29 x 29 cm)
3) One poster of “Dear Heather”, measuring 60 x 90 cm (some small tears and holes)
4) One poster of “Dear Heather”, measuring 60 x 90 cm (some small tears and holes)
5) One postcard from “Warchild Canada”, with artwork by Cohen
6) One DVD “Ladies and gentlemen: Mr. Leonard Cohen” (region 2 – Europe)
7) One DVD (free choice from my collection of 15 DVD’s)
8) One DVD (free choice from my collection of 15 DVD’s)
9) One DVD (free choice from my collection of 15 DVD’s)
10) One CD (free choice from my collection of over 25 CD’s)
11) One CD (free choice from my collection of over 25 CD’s)
12) One CD (free choice from my collection of over 25 CD’s)
13) One CD (free choice from my collection of over 25 CD’s)
14) One CD (free choice from my collection of over 25 CD’s)

Good luck to all of you!
Maarten
Last edited by Maarten on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Paula

Post by Paula »

Maarten - what a good quiz. I am sure there will be a few here who will know the answers straightaway but I am not one of them so I shall enjoy finding the answers.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Thank you Paula, I hope you'll enjoy it a lot.

There's a typo in Question 8 a) attribuated should be attributed
(Thanks Jarkko for pointing that out!)

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
bee

Post by bee »

Why is this hanging here forever, so annoying!
bee
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Maarten ~

Excellent quiz :D ! I'll print it out when I'm at a printer on Tuesday and use it as a learning tool ~ since others will out-contend me as a quiz participant, right off the top :lol: !

Thanks for taking the time and thought to create such a cool piece directly and positively related to Leonard 8) ! Good on you 8) ! [I love that Brit phrase :D ~ now, if I could just say "Mate" and have it sound natural for me :) .]

~ Lizzy
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Bee,

Jarkko decided to make this an announcement so it stays on top of the list. That way everybody will have a look at it and perhaps more people will participate. Perhaps Jarkko will remove the "announcement" later on so this topic will mix among the rest of the topics...

Lizzytysh,
Thanks for the encouragement! I hope you will have a go at it. (If you put as much effort in finding the answers in, as you do replying to all kinds of topics here on the forum, I'm sure you'll do fine! (7 posts per day!!! I'm posting 7 a year...).

GO Lizzy!

Maarten

ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Thank you very much for this fantastic game :lol: . A very interesting activity to celebrated The Leonard Cohen Files Ten Years. An admirable initiative. Seeing the number of views there are many interested people.

I am trying to take part with many difficulties. One of the problems is the Spanish editor ate up two dedications :shock: , in The Favorite Game it appears "A _________ como le prometí" something like "To _________ as I promised", really a funny LC dedication 8) . Well, this is not serious, in this question I will answer three in search for the luck. Anyway I will stay far from 35 points, but I am amusing and learning. I wait to write the answers at last time to hope the miracle of more ideas. Thank you again :wink:
Paula

Post by Paula »

FYS I have had the same problem the search engine is giving me some very weird web sites :lol: I am really enjoying the research but if I get 12 points I will be well pleased. 8)
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hello,

My quiz is about 1 week old and I'm very curious how you guys are all doing... It seems all questions are clear, 'cause I haven't had any remarks yet. That's good.
I guess it's not the easiest quiz I could have made, but that keeps the mind sharp, no?

Keep going!

Maarten

ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Again I return to the topic of the dedication of The Favorite Game. Just for curiosity, I do not try that you give up the answer 8) .

I think that an editor, or translator, can eat up a dedication, but they cannot invent it :shock: . Then, I wonder if originally Cohen first edition in 1963 wrote a dedication different from the current ones. Somebody Knows :roll: . ¿?
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hello FYS,

My edition of "The favourite game" is one from 1963. It's the "Secker & Warburg Ltd (London)" edition. That's the first (true first) English edition.
I guess there are indeed lots of different editions around, but you'll have to look for an "old" edition to find the answer, I guess.
I'll try and check this on some other editions aswell, but that's going to take some time...

Best of luck,
Maarten

Maarten

Post by Maarten »

ForYourSmile,

I did some more research on "The Favourite Game":

United States edition - Bantam Publishing (Dec. 71): "To _____, as promised"
Great Britain edition - Panther paperback by Granada Publishing (1973): "To _____, as promised"

So it seems the reprints have modified the dedication...
I'll need the original dedication from you...

One solution: find all the other dedications, that way only one will remain available for "The Favourite Game".

Good luck,
Maarten

ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Thank you very much for your work of search, I do not know how you have reached it :roll: . A time ago in a topic was spoken about the difficulty of finding Cohen's publications. I have to say that this is now in Barcelona it is impossible. I confess that I have tried to read the dedications in the bookshop without success :cry: .

Already I had thought about your advice, the problem is that I have three books without identifying :evil: . Well, it does not matter, if it were easy it would not be so interesting :lol: .
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

ForYourSmile,

Nice to hear that you're making an effort in finding the answers! Keep on going.

I haven't had any entries yet, so don't worry: you're not the only one who's having sleepless nights from thinking and sore feet from searching in libraries and bookstores...

Goodnight,
Maarten

tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I checked new edition of the Favourite Game (aka The Favorite Game) I have, "First Vintage Contemporaries Edition, October 2003", it has one of dedication Maarten listed among answers, so new editions of the novel have the same dedication as the original one.

Return to “News”