Tunes and Flowers.

This is for your own works!!!
Andrew McGeever

Tunes and Flowers.

Post by Andrew McGeever »

Conflict and deliverance, as seen through the eyes of a Scottish soldier and a Dutch girl. Both are statues facing each other; both stand on a granite memorial, unveiled on May 25th 1995, the 50th anniversary of the liberation of Europe. I witnessed the ceremony, and, returning alone, spent hours looking at him looking at her. From this I had an idea: to set the statue in words; to speak on print what the sculptor set in bronze.This is dedicated to the memory of Anne Frank.

Tunes and Flowers.

One metre plus twelve years; the gap between
a soldier and a girl, both cast in bronze.
He stands, suspicious, tired of the business
of war. She offers thanks as best she can,
a rose picked from the bunch tucked in her arm.

Silent bagpipes droop from his crooked arm;
their lung exhausted by battle refrains.
His look extends beyond her outstretced hand
towards the lasting bloom within her eyes,
which gaze past gratitude into a world
where she will shine. Their gap is closing fast;

both know that liberation bears a price
beyond the measure of tunes and flowers.

P.S. While editing drafts of "Tunes and Flowers", I played Leonard's "The Partisan" and "Joan of Arc", again and again..honest!
P.P.S. This poem has found a "home", and I'll let board members know in time, unless someone can guess first!
Andrew McGeever

Tunes and Flowers.

Whoops!! In line 8, "outstretced" should read as "outstretched". I'm still trying to get used to a computer, as opposed to pen and paper!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Andrew....I don't know where it's home might be, perhaps Jarkko's site? Whoops.....this is Jarkko's site! You know what I mean....except, it's not really Leonard stuff, so I guess that's out. Is there an Anne Frank museum somewhere, wherein this beautifully stunning poem of truth will now reside for the remainder of its natural life and beyond? Hmmm........I really don't know, Andrew. Please tell me.

Playing The Partisan and Joan of Arc again and again are, of course, very believable ~ the "honest" superfluous from my perspective. Although not while writing poetry [in that I don't write poetry :( ], I have played his songs repeatedly while writing letters...for similar reasons of inspiration and/or keeping me in the place I want to be.

I love your "Tunes and Flowers" title, very topically-appropriate for the poem/statues ~ and reminiscent of the title "Flowers for Hitler." The statues you've described sound to be very powerful.....and your poem is as well.

Lizzytysh
Andrew McGeever

Tunes and Flowers.

I have just received official confirmation that my poem "Tunes and Flowers", is to be set on a granite plinth beside the statue of the soldier and the girl, in Perth (Scotland).
The project was funded partly by Scottish Regimental Associations and Perth Council. They collectively raised the £4,000 needed to display the poem for public view.
The poem/plinth will be unveilled on October 26th , the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the Allied Forces North African Campaign. Given the passage of time, this will be the last official commemoration, and the biggest one outside of London. I'm told there will be thousands present, massed pipe bands, and a fly-past.
I have been invited to read my poem at the unveilling! I have read my poetry in public before, also performance pieces on stage, but never something like this! It's usually the case that a writer has to have the advantage of being dead before his/her work is put on permanent public display. I'm not nervous yet, though I will be, come October 26th.
After that , my intention is to return "Tunes and Flowers" to its natural home in Holland. I'll explain that one later.
In the meantime, I am seriously challenged by a poem I'm attempting to write...I leave it...return to it...cut it...add to it...stroke it...plead with it....but, as yet, it won't do what it's told. Perhaps I should give it up, let it slip like sand in outstretched fingers. I've tried it, but some grains always remain.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Andrew,
I'm stunned, exhilirated, thrilled, all of it!!! Far better than the museum, it will reside next to that by which it was inspired.....congratulations from deep down in my heart, Andrew. I am so, so happy for you....you sound very gratified, if even still a bit in shock. If I could be there, I would. Please know that my heart will be, even so! This is far better than my best guess!!!

You have been rewarded for your hard work and in your own lifetime. Ironically, it seems that the work itself was not so hard, in this case, as your inspiration was so compelling. However, A tremendous honour for which you were duly inspired and were true to your muse....inspiration and its product so powerful that it inspired others to fundraise for permanence of your words. Remain every bit as faithful to her regarding the one with which you currently struggle. Even setting it down and returning with fresh eyes....well, you know how that works...nothing you don't already know....just a gentle reminder. They're worth the struggle....ask Leonard....ask yourself.

Please scan a photo taken from the event, if not to be placed somewhere accessible here, to at least email to me privately. I feel so proud of you...even though the relationship that warrants that doesn't really exist, it's still how I feel.

:D :D :D YYYYYYAAAYYYYYY, Andrew!!! :D :D :D ~ How AWESOME!!!

Lizzytysh
robert

Post by robert »

Andrew:

Great news for you. Is the bronze in Holland or Perth. And are you a member of the Scottish Regimental Associations? Your poem sounds as though you know a thing or two about military service.

Cheers
Linda

Post by Linda »

Andrew, Thanks for sharing that with us. Congratulations!
Linda
Andrew McGeever

Tunes and Flowers.

Robert, can I first of all thank you for responding?
In answer to your questions, the statues are BOTH in Perth and Holland.The original is in Erde, Holland; a memorial site dedicated to those who fought and died for the liberation of Europe. The sculptor was Alan Heriot, who was also commisioned to make an exact replica for the 50th anniversary commemoration in Perth, Scotland. It was Alan's "Perth" statue which I saw unveilled in May, 1995. By chance, I found that his studio/workshop was in Edinburgh , two miles from where I live.
I contacted him, met him, and showed him a draft of "Tunes and Flowers".
He welcomed me, and we spent a long time talking about eyes and angles.
He told me,"you have put in verse what I tried to express in bronze".
That gave me the boost to offer the poem to Perth and District Council, plus the fact that "Tunes and Flowers" had already won a diploma in a poetry competition.
Robert, I'm not a member of any Regimental Association, but my father fought in that war (France, North Africa, Italy.....) and I saw his eyes in the soldier.
I know nothing about military service.
Keep in touch, Andrew.
Poetry Cop

Post by Poetry Cop »

Your line: a rose picked from the bunch tucked in her arm.
Are you really going to use the word bunch????
Remember, it's going to be set in bronze!!!

Poetry Cop
Andrew McGeever

As regards the word "bunch" can I suggest you look up the word in a dictionary..Brewers..Chambers..the Oxford Dictionary for starters?
Or if reading is too challenging for you, try pressing buttons on the internet..."poetry cop".
P.S. For those who don't need to use the pseudonym of "poetry cop", a bunch of flowers is a bunch of flowers.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Andrew....I understood it in its literal sense....and for those [that one] who didn't, perhaps if it was good enough for the original sculptor and good enough for the decision-makers as to what's good enough to "forever" be placed in bronze, then perhaps one might consider its being good enough for their poetry policeing...particularly if viewed ex post facto, dictionary in hand.

Lizzytysh
Poetry Cop

Post by Poetry Cop »

I am only giving you a warning, this time. A ticket will be issued for the next violation.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, and 'twill be heard in kangaroo court... :lol:
Poetry Cop

Post by Poetry Cop »

Lizzytysh, I an issuing you a ticket for interfering with an officer of the law while he is engaged in his duties.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Street crime on the rise.......out of control.....coping mechanisms running low.....police brutality....see you in court. 8)

Holster the gun, but pack your dictionary, lest ye be lost in the proceedings.

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”