never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
Geoffrey

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Geoffrey »

AlanM wrote:
>I look every day!

a short but highly appreciated message, with a blaze of light in every word!
thank you, alan :)
----------------------------
LisaLCFan wrote:
>That was a strange video . . .

it was, both the story and the artwork. from the screen grab below it can be noted that there are no frets on his guitar, and the uppermost string (low E) seems to be pushed straight off the fingerboard! not sure what chord he's playing, (something near an F# ?), but at least he keeps the nails short on his left hand.
210.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

"how many nights i prayed for this, to let my work begin!"
255.jpg
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Superb Fairy Wren.jpg
HI Geoffrey, perhaps you could adopt this bird as your personal species.

Best wishes,

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

AlanM wrote:
>HI Geoffrey, perhaps you could adopt this bird as your personal species.
--------------------------
hello again, alan. i get this! the little wren in your picture is doing its best to blend in, but still seems to stick out. yes, perhaps you are right, and if so there's not a lot that can be done.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:19 am LisaLCFan wrote:
>That was a strange video . . .

it was, both the story and the artwork. from the screen grab below it can be noted that there are no frets on his guitar...
I read a book a few years ago called Half the Perfect World, which was basically a longer version of the story in that video, tangentially about Leonard, but mostly about Charmian Clift and George Johnston, the latter of whom were clearly bent on self-destruction (and, as noted in the video, they succeeded).

As for the artwork, I have never been a fan of the caricature style, and in this instance, they managed to make everyone look really quite ghastly -- old and haggard and rather grungy! A moment or so after we see Leonard's fretless guitar, it also becomes stringless, but at least they made it the right type of guitar!
Cohen caricature with odd guitar.jpeg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>I read a book a few years ago called Half the Perfect World, which was basically a longer version of the story in that video, tangentially about Leonard, but mostly about Charmian Clift and George Johnston, the latter of whom were clearly bent on self-destruction (and, as noted in the video, they succeeded).

you are much more informed than myself. i have heard of that book, but not read it. charmian clift and george johnston am i completely unfamiliar with.

>As for the artwork, I have never been a fan of the caricature style, and in this instance, they managed to make everyone look really quite ghastly -- old and haggard and rather grungy!

caricatures are never very flattering, so it's understandable that not everyone is a fan of that style. leonard's self-portraits were mostly in that genre, humorously self-deprecating. it's a creative area that i have dabbled in, but not stayed for very long.

>A moment or so after we see Leonard's fretless guitar, it also becomes stringless, but at least they made it the right type of guitar!

they're not perfectionists when it comes to details, these cartoonists - that's for sure ;)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

"a man makes you feel important, makes you glad you are a woman." -marilyn monroe
255.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

"listen to the hummingbird whose wings you cannot see.
listen to the mind of god, don't listen to me.
"
254.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:56 am [drawings of Marilyn and Leonard]
Is there a name for the style of drawing in these last two portraits? I like them -- they look like cut gemstones. I think that one could use colours in interesting ways in this style, if one were so inclined!

Back to a previous comment re: caricatures and that being Leonard's personal choice of style for his self-portraits -- indeed, many of his self-portraits that I have seen are quite "unflattering", although he managed to make himself look good every now and then! Some caricatures can be rather cute without making the subjects look absolutely dreadful, depending on how they are drawn, but I suppose that such things are subjective.

I once sat for one of those "souvenir portraits" while on a holiday: the artist gave people a choice between either a serious portrait or a caricature, and I chose a "serious" portrait. Unfortunately, the skills (or lack thereof) of the artist resulted in my portrait looking much more like a caricature than not, and it was definitely on the dreadful end of the spectrum (rather than cute!)! I was not amused.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>Is there a name for the style of drawing in these last two portraits?

apologies for late response. i have been in brusdal two days and one night. not really possible to go online.

your question: just experimenting, they are mostly unoriginal. i look at everyone else's pictures, often 'borrowing' something from them, and try to take it a little further. the result can be a mix of different styles, or 'swan' (style without a name). one could say i am an artistic robin hood; i take from the gifted and give to the inept. ;)

>. . . many of [leonard's] self-portraits that I have seen are quite "unflattering", although he managed to make himself look good every now and then!

i agree. many of them invoke a feeling of sympathy. caricatures can absolutely be dreadful, as you point out - especially political ones that are designed to ridicule or hurt.

>I once sat for one of those "souvenir portraits" while on a holiday . . .

yes, disappointing they can certainly be. i have had my portrait drawn/painted numerous times, mostly by local artists but also elsewhere. the caricature ones don't resemble me, but a couple of the 'serious' ones are not bad. faces (and hands) are a big challenge when making a picture, so tactfulness is useful when giving a critique. the late american artist john singer sargent said: "every time i paint a portrait i lose a friend!" - drawing faces can be a risky business ;)
255.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:06 am ...just experimenting, they are mostly unoriginal. i look at everyone else's pictures, often 'borrowing' something from them, and try to take it a little further. the result can be a mix of different styles, or 'swan' (style without a name). one could say i am an artistic robin hood; i take from the gifted and give to the inept. ;)...
There is nothing wrong with being inspired by the work of others! You have a distinctive style that is all your own, which is clear to me in all of your pictures, and so whatever you "borrow/take" from others is most definitely taken further in your pictures, when you add yourself into the mix. I know that I've said this before, but you really have an extraordinary knack for capturing faces and expressions (and I mean that as a tremendous compliment!).

I hope that you had a nice time in Brusdal!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>There is nothing wrong with being inspired by the work of others! You have a distinctive style that is all your own, which is clear to me in all of your pictures, and so whatever you "borrow/take" from others is most definitely taken further in your pictures, when you add yourself into the mix. I know that I've said this before, but you really have an extraordinary knack for capturing faces and expressions (and I mean that as a tremendous compliment!).
>
>I hope that you had a nice time in Brusdal!
--------------------------------------
that was truly a lovely message to receive, lisa - thank you!

yes, we are a gang of people who meet regularly. assembled at brusdal instead of the usual place in town because it was the last time before the long summer holidays :)
254.jpg
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi guys, I just want to say a couple of things.

Geoffrey,
Have a look at the drawing in this link -https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 02#p381802
I can see some similarity to your style ;-)

Lisa,
I really meant to say before that I absolutely love the look and history of your new guitar!
A truly wonderful musical instrument to have. I'm sure it plays as good as it looks :)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:02 am Lisa,
I really meant to say before that I absolutely love the look and history of your new guitar!
A truly wonderful musical instrument to have. I'm sure it plays as good as it looks :)
Thanks, Bev! It really is special, I love everything about it, and it most certainly plays and sounds as wonderful as it looks! Cheers!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote:
>Hi guys, I just want to say a couple of things.
>
>Geoffrey,
>Have a look at the drawing in this link . . .
>I can see some similarity to your style ;-)

to obtain one specific, recognisable style is a dream; unfortunately i seem to be all over the place. if the picture in your link was mine i would be very proud; it's quite good!

Lisa,

anyone who recognises and appreciates such a beautiful instrument deserves to own it. buying a present for oneself is good therapy. always remember agent cooper's words:

"i'm going to let you in on a little secret: every day, once a day, give yourself a present. don't plan it, don't wait for it, just let it happen. it could be a new shirt in a men's store, a cat nap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot, black coffee!"

thank you to everyone for tolerating my picture attempts. july tomorrow, have a great summer! :)
255.jpg

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”