never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
Geoffrey

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Geoffrey »

dear lisa.

i have now looked at both the video links you so kindly provided. thank you again. they were interesting, educational, and i have been clicking on things previously disregarded. what i have been looking for is precision, a way to instantly achieve an exact size - but such a tool continues to elude me. one solution would be for this forum's phpBB software to automatically reduce uploaded images (à la facebook) to the maximum size permitted, but that is not currently the case.

yes, i have the latest version of windows 10; the computer updates automatically each time it is switched on. also, to achieve good quality images i scan at 600 dpi.
-------------------------------------------
not some pilgrim who's seen the light
255.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:48 pm ...what i have been looking for is precision, a way to instantly achieve an exact size - but such a tool continues to elude me...
yes, i have the latest version of windows 10...
Ah, well, what can one do? Life would be so much better if everything were perfect and exactly as we wished! Alas, it is not. At least you can still post pics, one way or another -- could be worse! Cheers!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>Life would be so much better if everything were perfect and exactly as we wished!

would be nice in some respects, although a philosophical concept. nurses would be out of a job - and there'd be no sense of achievement when overcoming hardship. most of leonard's song lyrics were also inspired by struggle, ha ha ha!!!

(just a light-hearted post :) )
-------------------------------------------
a woman and a child. (the situation makes me kind of nervous)
252.jpg
252.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

I do like your weird and creative drawings, Geoffrey, with their strange creatures, random insects, etc. -- they are rather fun! Nice to see some very bright colours in that last one.
murphybridget837

Post by murphybridget837 »

Geoffrey wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:16 pm LisaLCFan wrote:
>Nice pic of that Cohen guy.

thank you. i have not seen his latest book about lepers, partly because you gave it a less than radiant review. being the data nerd that i am, i could surely read it online - but other pursuits always seem to take priority.

murphybridget837 wrote:
>As for Paganini's violin, the fact that it's still played today . . . is remarkable. Paganini's compositions . . . evoke imagery of birds in flight, showcasing both his technical prowess and perhaps a bit of showmanship. It's awe-inspiring to witness musicians tackle such virtuosic pieces.

indeed. the creativity and skill achieved by certain individuals, especially in the world of culture and entertainment, never ceases to astonish. this is not to criticise folk at the other end of the human quality scale. without two-dimensional people who cannot sing or play an instrument, or egoistic thieves and fear-mongerers unable to paint or draw a picture, or illiterate hero worshippers who've never had an original thought and can hardly write a single sentence, thinking people would be unable to appreciate so much the likes of paganini, shelley, berlioz or cohen. it is a basket full of green apples that make a rosy one so appealing.
-------------------------------------------------------
leonard cohen wrote:
>you know that you will trust her, for she's touched your perfect body with her mind!
believe you can, and you’re halfway there.jpg
The wide spectrum of human abilities enriches our world. While some excel in creativity, others contribute in different ways. Each individual, regardless of their talents, adds to the tapestry of human experience.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>I do like your weird and creative drawings, Geoffrey, with their strange creatures, random insects, etc. -- they are rather fun! Nice to see some very bright colours in that last one.

thank you, lisa! i like your creative pieces too. the colours you use are superb - 'valentine mandala' for example. the strange creatures/insects you mention are merely figments of an idle imagination, but if someone can glean fun from them then that makes me happy.

wishing everyone a happy easter on this good friday. (did the roman soldiers give it that name ;) ). norwegians call it langfredag (long friday), though it's the same length as every friday.
253.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

murphybridget837 wrote:
>The wide spectrum of human abilities enriches our world. While some excel in creativity, others contribute in different ways. Each individual, regardless of their talents, adds to the tapestry of human experience.
-----------------
would you not agree that perhaps our world could do without the 'contributions' of some individuals; those who kill, steal, destroy and spread anguish?
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 pm ...thank you, lisa! i like your creative pieces too. the colours you use are superb - 'valentine mandala' for example...
Thank you! :D

Here's a watercolour pencil drawing of a couple of very sweet dogs that I know (their size differential is fairly accurate, but their colouring is an artistic rendition!).
LisaLCFan Pups.jpg
B4real

Post by B4real »

Please forgive my indulgence here but I thought I would tell you what unexpectedly happened to me yesterday relating to this previous post in this thread - https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 43#p380843

Some of you know that I’m most interested in astronomy and yesterday I was watching a TV programme called The Universe with Brian Cox. As the credits started the name of the episode was written on the screen and called “Before The Dawn: The Big Bang”. I then recalled that the previous night from a totally different aspect, I watched a movie called “Breaking Dawn”. I laughed and mused to myself that these things can happen in threes, ha!

I continued watching and later on they showed a recreation of “The Big Bang” exploding on screen. Simultaneously, quite near to me I heard a loud explosion and crash of glass. It was loud enough that the neighbour’s dog who was some distance away from my house started barking furiously. There was a smell like very strong kerosene or petroleum. No, it wasn’t a car crash, my Galileo thermometer had spontaneously exploded at the very same instant as "The Big Bang" on TV did! Yep, the third coincidence!

There was fluid and broken glass over a large area of the table in the link pic above. Luckily my electronic keyboard seems to be OK (haven’t tried it yet) because I had a protective cover over it. The shattered glass and smelly, oily fluid spilled onto the floor and also onto some electrical cords and fittings against the wall below the thermometer. That could have been nasty, but they seem to be OK. In the process of trying to clean up the glass shards and stinky mess I cut my thumb rather badly on a piece of broken glass that had been shot into a place I wasn’t expecting it to be. As I sit here typing this in another room the foul smell is still permeating the air 18 hours after “The Big Bang”.

I’ve had this thermometer for over 25 years and I didn’t know it could explode like this without any warning. It has been very hot here – maybe that had something to do with it. Interestingly, all 11 spheres with their temperature discs still attached survived the blast without a scratch just like stars and planets projected through space!
See my photo below –

Galileo thermometer exploded - spheres intact.jpg
Maybe I could suspend them in a clear acrylic container with another less volatile fluid .....

Apart from those three coincidences, I really want to warn Lisa, who I know has a Galileo thermometer as well (written in link above) to keep it in a place (if it’s not already) so if that disastrous event did happen (Heaven forbid) it would not do too much damage.

BTW – always great to see the artwork both Geoffrey and Lisa kindly show us.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hello B4real. it's good that you warn lisa so that she can be aware of the danger. i hope your thumb is beginning to heal nicely; hand injuries are often more of a handicap and susceptible to infection than other places.

anyway, an interesting post. it made me look up the definition of coincidence and learned that they are 'unpredictable surprises, inevitable occurrencies that are often less remarkable than they may appear'. well, that is a debatable subject, not least amongst those who believe everything is preordained. or, as leonard cohen said: "it doesn't matter what you do because it's going to happen anyway."

i have heard of cigarette lighters, even mobile phones, exploding . . . but a thermometer? that's a first! one just never knows!

thank you for writing positively about the pictures posted in this column :)
--------------------------------------------------
pencil sketches of people seen yesterday.
255.jpg
254.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:26 am ...my Galileo thermometer had spontaneously exploded...Yep, the third coincidence!

...I really want to warn Lisa, who I know has a Galileo thermometer as well ...
Hey, Bev! Firstly, I love coincidences: when they happen to me (which they seem to, fairly often...), I always smile and marvel at the wonders of the universe as these very similar but seemingly random events converge within a narrow point of time and space! As Geoffrey alluded to, I have no idea if everything is predetermined, or if there is an element of indeterminacy in our existence: it is fascinating to think about, especially when one considers everything that had to happen to bring about each moment in time, so much of which (all of which?) is completely beyond each person's control. There is certainly a strong argument to be made for determinism, and yet, I still like to think that there remain open possibilities, although I am aware that such a belief may be nothing more than an illusion!

Secondly, thanks for the warning about the Galileo thermometer, and I am sorry to hear that you had to learn the hard way about their potentially volatile nature! I did a quick bit of research (i.e., I Googled it!), and I learned that extreme temperatures and/or sudden changes in temperatures can result in those thermometers exploding. :shock:

However, mine should be safe: it lives on a shelf between two large plant pots, in a main-floor room that never gets direct sunlight, and which is normally around 22 degrees, although it can get up to 25 or so on those few summer days when our temps stretch into the plus 30's, but that shouldn't be an issue!

Galileo.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>However, mine should be safe: it lives on a shelf between two large plant pots

that is reassuring!
i have been wandering around your huge photograph. am at a loss to understand how it is possible to upload a 2.45 MB image, but am hesitant to tax your energy by inquiring how such a miracle is achieved.

my conscience was pricked a little when i saw the 'starry night' poster. a family member gave me a 1000-piece jigsaw of exactly that painting about five years ago, and the box has yet to be opened. so embarrassing when they visit and see it still on the shelf. i also recognised st paul's, and noticed that the two lime green clay dogs resemble the striking aqua blue and scarlet ones in your great watercolour 'pups' image - a picture that will not easily be forgotten.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:25 pm ...i have been wandering around your huge photograph...

Regarding the huge photograph (I figured that you'd enjoy exploring it!), I am as surprised as you! I first uploaded an image that I had resized down to about 255 kb, but then I noticed that it said that the maximum allowable size was 2.5 MB (this was news to me!), and so I used my original 2.45 MB image instead, and it worked! I have never encountered that before on this forum, and thus I am at a loss as to why or how it let me do it today!

The domed building in the painting is not actually St. Paul's, but the Marché Bonsecours in Old Montreal. If you look closely at the flag hanging on the building to the right, you will see that it is the provincial flag of Quebec, the Fleurdelisé. I once sold a rather fine handmade guitar to an artist, and he could not afford the entire cost in cash, and so he gave me an oil painting he did of Old Montreal in lieu of the remaining balance. I had been to Montreal a few years earlier and very much enjoyed the old part of the city, and so I was more than happy to have a memento of my trip in the form of an original painting.

The lime-green clay dogs do resemble the watercolour dogs in my recent picture, however, although the little dog is the same in both, the larger of the lime-green clay dogs (or rather, the dog on which it was based) is sadly no longer with us -- and he is greatly missed. The big aqua-blue watercolour pup shares similar big floppy ears and stocky body, but he has much longer legs (and, in fact, is quite a bit larger overall). Glad you liked my watercolour sketch -- it actually captures those two pups very well, with their expressions and body language -- a bit of a happy accident, since one can't anticipate exactly how a picture will turn out!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hello you two,
Thanks for your input on my “Big Bang” incident. And wouldn’t you know it, here’s a fourth coincidence, ha! The TV was on last night but I wasn’t actually watching it and I unexpectedly heard the news reader say; “the term ‘The Big Bang’ was first coined on 28 March 1949”. Ha, my Big Bang was on 30 March….. interesting timing. The process was discovered in 1927 but not actually named as such – https://medium.com/@soltani_bochra/brie ... a7ca28a3c6

Geoffrey, my thumb cut is on my dominate hand – most awkward to use. It’s a deep curved cut and I probably should have gotten stitches.
Btw – Keep naming your drawings with sayings that we can see via mouse hovering if you can. They are so relevant to your images.

Lisa, I didn’t know that about the temperature impact on our Galileos for sure – just guessing. Good to know yours will be safe. It’s been constantly hot and humid here for about 4 months now with temperatures in the early to mid 30's and 80 to 90 percent humidity. I would absolutely love a summer that didn’t get any hotter than 25 degrees! That would be sheer heaven! Officially, we’ve already had a month of autumn and the temperature and humidity is still close to what I’ve just stated. It's never ever been this hot for so long.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:53 pm
Geoffrey wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:25 pm ...i have been wandering around your huge photograph...

Regarding the huge photograph (I figured that you'd enjoy exploring it!), I am as surprised as you! I first uploaded an image that I had resized down to about 255 kb, but then I noticed that it said that the maximum allowable size was 2.5 MB (this was news to me!), and so I used my original 2.45 MB image instead, and it worked! I have never encountered that before on this forum, and thus I am at a loss as to why or how it let me do it today!
Hi Lisa,

Another interesting thing about your photograph is the number of Australiana references that I can see. Magic?
I wonder if forum members in other countries see items related to their own locality.

Hi Geoffrey,

I look for and enjoy your art works every day. Thank you.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”