Troubles between the family and the management

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
WillAnderson

Re: Troubles between the family and the management

Post by WillAnderson »

From Leonard Cohen, Untold Stories: That's How the Light Gets In (2022):
The relationship between Cohen and Kory was friendly, but never particularly close.

ROBERT FAGGEN: Kory running around with the fedora annoyed the sh*t out of [Cohen]. He said about Kory, "My success has gone to his head." And he did say to him, "If you steal from me, so help me I'll haunt you."

JOEY CARENZA: Leonard would say that to Robert's face. He had this thing—all managers over time think they're the reason for success. But that's the thing about Leonard—he can see that [flaw] in a person, but that doesn't sour or end the relationship. He understands that it's just a component of how humans work.
In case anyone doesn't recognize the names, Robert Faggen is a professor of literature, writer, and Cohen friend from 1995 on. He was co-editor of The Flame, Cohen's posthumously-published final book of poetry. Joey Carenza was the road manager for Cohen's comeback World Tour(s) from 2008-2013.
mirka

Post by mirka »

Couple years ago I had a short email exchange with Kory.
I was asking around LC tour crew how could I get a snippet from the Charlottetown concert, where Leonard thanked me by name for the flowers I send him.
After exchanging emails with the acoustic engineers, I was finally directed to LC manager, Kory. He responded, that audio from all the concerts will be available for sale on the Internet store, which will be opened soon.
I think I asked him again, after couple months, didn't get answer.
Did he plan already at that time to put all the audio tracks for sale ?
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

all this is very interesting, but i thought there was supposed to be court cases and people being sent to prison and stuff like that - and i can't find nothing about what's happening. it's boring when there's no news, i was looking forward to following everything, maybe cameras in the courtroom even. so when is it all going to start? nothing's moving, it's so damned quiet and dull all the time!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Addicted to adrenaline, g? :D ;-)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Mirka ~

That would be such a wonderful audio clip for you to have.

It may have already been a group decision to sell audio. It seems it would've just been a matter as to who got the proceeds from those sales.

Making them available for sale later would underscore why they didn't want audio, much less video, recordings of Leonard's performances. That and quality control, of course.

Thank heaven we had our resident expert Albert Noonan (and others) going ahead and doing it, anyway. :D
~ Oscar Wilde
mirka

Post by mirka »

Hi Lizzy,

it's quite possible somebody at that time had already in mind idea of making audio of all concerts available for sale online, who knows ?
Before I was directed to Kory, I was in contact with one of audio engineers who promised to look into it after they finish the tour, seemed like no big deal.
Later I was directed to Kory, and the idea of making this couple of minutes available to me died.

I still hope this audio is out there somewhere, maybe it shows up in a couple of years as "forgotten audio of LC tour" :mrgreen:
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

lizzytysh wrote:
>Addicted to adrenaline, g? :D ;-)
--------------------------------------------
perhaps, lizzie, but more addicted to seeing fraud brought into the light, and those responsible made accountable.

from what i have understood, there was a multi-paged legal document called 'the leonard cohen family trust'. his manager forged leonard's signature on certain pages of this document and the public notary then substituted the original pages with the falsified ones. would that be correct? if so, we have two people committing wrongdoing. firstly the forging of signatures by a manager, and secondly malpractice by a public notary.

as someone interested in everything appertaining to leonard cohen, and as media outlets announced the trial being scheduled to begin in los angeles back on 29th march, it is only natural to wonder what is happening.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Ooo ooo ooo... you're the one who cited "boring" vs. simply "left in the dark" and wanting resolution and justice. And not judging guilt or innocence until everything is addressed. As the saying here goes, the wheels of justice turn slowly.
So, as Jarkko might say, "Patience."
~ Oscar Wilde
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

lizzytysh wrote:
>you're the one who cited "boring" vs. simply "left in the dark" and wanting resolution and justice. And not judging guilt or innocence until everything is addressed. As the saying here goes, the wheels of justice turn slowly. So, as Jarkko might say, "Patience."

yes, well it is boring when everyone is being nice to one another and nothing ever happens. this is exactly what leonard was trying to warn about when he sang in one of his songs 'the place is dead as heaven on a saturday night!'.

harmony is ok for a while, but too much is not good for business. nobody is going to keep returning to this website if it's filled with shiny happy people all the time. this whole saga about who should govern over leonard's work is a wonderful gift to us. it has the potential to add some badly needed spice and dynamic to leonard's name - but it looks like complacency and indifference (together with "patience") is killing this opportunity. nobody is curious enough to ask what's going on, or why the trial date passed without a word - and it's this apathy that makes me lose faith in human nature. if one does not provide action, drama, excitement, etc. - one will lose the crowd and might just as well do the same as leonard and sing 'it's closing time'.
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Looks like it's going to be a drag. Just saw an update on the Unicort website that a trial date is scheduled for late October 2024.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

mirka wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:16 am
I still hope this audio is out there somewhere, maybe it shows up in a couple of years as "forgotten audio of LC tour" :mrgreen:
Hi Mirka

I have sent you a PM which may help.

W
mirka

Post by mirka »

Thanks, Wendy, I replied.
Wurz05

Post by Wurz05 »

How do you put a post on the forum wanting to take my dad to hydra for his 70th but not looking like it's going ahead next year

Return to “News”