Full version of the Stages arrangement of Tower of Song?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Neon_Madman

Full version of the Stages arrangement of Tower of Song?

Post by Neon_Madman »

Sorry if this has been asked and answered elsewhere, I couldn't find it. Is there such thing as a full performance of Tower of Song in the "Stages" arrangement from Can't Forget?
icecreamtruck

Re: Full version of the Stages arrangement of Tower of Song?

Post by icecreamtruck »

Not that I know of. I believe that the first part of "Stages" was taken from one of Leonard's final shows in December, 2013 in Sydney, Australia. I don't have the booklet in front of me but I think the weird version of Tower of Song is edited in from an unknown (to me) soundcheck that could have come from any of the years 2008 to 2013. I think it is possible to make an educated guess that this soundcheck is likely from the 2012-13 "Old Ideas" era. While Leonard had been playing with blues forms since at least 2009 (actually, since the late 70s and "Billy Sunday") but the blues compositions didn't evolve that straight rock feel that you hear in "Got A Little Secret," "Never Gave Nobody Trouble" until the 2012-13 tours, if I am remembering right. That's why I assume this soundcheck is from the "Old Ideas" tour.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

The back insert on my CD case says:
Soundcheck - Hamburg, Germany
O2 World July 14 2013

You can view my video of the "Stages" prelude to Tower of Song at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5n7fcfBxeQ

I missed a little bit as I thought it was going to be a standard intro, and stopped recording, only to start again when I realised it was non-standard.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

AlanM wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:24 am ...You can view my video of the "Stages" prelude to Tower of Song...
That's great! It brings back such wonderful memories of that tour and those phenomenal concerts -- watching your video makes it almost feel like it just happened yesterday -- hard to believe it was almost 10 years ago! Thank you!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Thank you, Lisa.
That night and many other similar ones are still very fresh in my mind even though I have forgotten so many other things.
There a few people that I am grateful that our times on this planet overlapped and Leonard is right at the top of that list.

Best wishes,

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

AlanM wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:39 am ...There are a few people that I am grateful that our times on this planet overlapped and Leonard is right at the top of that list...
Indeed -- we are privileged and fortunate in that respect!

Cheers!

Return to “Comments & Questions”