new song called Leonard Cohen

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
B4real

new song called Leonard Cohen

Post by B4real »

New song called Leonard Cohen by Boygenius

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/kri ... boygenius/
Elsewhere, the album will include a song called “Leonard Cohen,” which was inspired by the three musicians listening to Iron & Wine’s “Trapeze Swinger” on a road trip in Northern California. “It was impossible to interrupt this ten-minute-long song,” the band said in press material. “Because of how the exits were spaced, ‘Trapeze Swinger’ added an hour to their travel time. Phoebe felt like an idiot. Lucy turned that drive into the song ‘Leonard Cohen.’”
Interesting that "The Trapeze Swinger" influenced them. I’ve always liked that song. The version I have is by Gregory Alan Isakov who really admires Leonard and has covered some of his songs well. As said above, the original writer of it is Iron & Wine who had a song in the Twilight movie series that I also have called "Flightless Bird, American Mouth". Coincidentally, the producer of this new album is Kristen Stewart who 'everybody knows' starred in the Twilight movies.

Sometimes it seems that things really do move in circles ;-)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Re: new song called Leonard Cohen

Post by LisaLCFan »

I've actually never heard of any of these people (other than "Leonard Cohen", of course)! But, that's okay.

Something that I can relate to is the urge to listen to a piece of music all the way to the end and without an interruption while driving somewhere. There have been countless times that I've driven a few extra kilometres/miles -- or simply stayed in my car when I arrived at my destination -- in order to hear a piece (or song) all the way through. On some of these occasions the music has been by Leonard Cohen, but I certainly never felt like an idiot for doing it -- it seems perfectly natural to me, if one is really into the music!

I am mildly curious as to how that activity inspired a song about Leonard Cohen (assuming that the song is about him: nothing in that story seems to correlate to Leonard...). If and when the song is available to hear, I may investigate -- perhaps the lyrics will shed some light on the relevance.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi Lisa,
I tried to find the lyrics to “Leonard Cohen” before I posted that info and found that they won’t be available until March this year. I just listened to “The Trapeze Swinger” again and maybe the repeated words of “Please, remember me” might have something to do with it. Also, I can hear some other possible connections that could be expanded.

I have to say that every time I play this song when it comes to the line, “Who the hell can see forever”..... I simply can’t help myself to play that line a few times over - maybe for emphasis ;-)

Below is a link to a discussion here about Gregory Alan Isakov and in it is that song with its link still alive -
https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... ov#p370228
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Thanks, Bev, so nice of you to provide additional info! I just read the lyrics to "The Trapeze Swinger", and I can see why it may have reminded someone of Leonard and his work. I suppose, because the article you quoted specifically referenced the details of "the drive", I was trying to ascertain a connection between their driving around for an hour and Leonard, and that was proving elusive. Perhaps when March rolls around and we can see the lyrics for this eponymous song, we shall all be more enlightened (as to why they called the song Leonard Cohen, that is).

Cheers!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Leonard Cohen Lyrics

https://www.lyricsmin.com/lyrics/leonar ... boygenius/
Leonard Cohen Lyrics by boygenius, from the album “the record“, music has been produced by Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus & Julien Baker, and Leonard Cohen song lyrics are penned down by Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus, Julien Baker & Leonard Cohen.

Leonard Cohen Lyrics
If you love me you will listen to this song

You felt like an idiot adding an hour to the drive
But it gave us more time to embarrass ourselves
Telling stories we wouldn’t tell anyone else
You said “I might like you less now that you know me so well”

Leonard Cohen once said there’s a crack in everything
That’s how the light gets in
And I am not an old man having an existential crisis
In a Buddhist monastery
Writing horny poetry
But I agree

I never thought you’d happen to me

SONG INFO:
Song: Leonard Cohen
Artist: boygenius
Album: the record (2023)
Music: Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus & Julien Baker
Lyrics: Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus, Julien Baker & Leonard Cohen

hummm...... :neutral:
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Hi Bev, thanks for posting the lyrics to this song: now we know.

I share your "hummm :neutral: ". Bearing in mind what the band members said about the genesis of this song (in previous posts above), all I can say is that inspiration is a mysterious thing!

And, of course, they've gotten the timeline wrong with respect to "Anthem" and its oft-quoted lyrics, for when Leonard "said" those words, he was not yet "an old man having an existential crisis in a Buddhist monastery writing horny poetry". :roll:

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”