Apathy of Late

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Vicomte

Re: Apathy of Late

Post by Vicomte »

abby wrote:What a dick.
Apathy of late? Just read this thread in its entirety to see why.
What precisely does that mean, it's as obscure as most of the other posts are on this thread...Are you calling Athnuachan a dick and if you are, why?
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Athnuachan wrote:If you can't beat them join them, eh Vicomte? :lol:

At least this is entertaining!
Totally irrelevant, of course, but so are the posts which "messed up" what could have been an interesting discussion.

Apathy of late? Just read this thread in its entirety to see why.

Took the advice and tried to read the entire thread, but apathy got in the way so gave up. I check on the forum a few times each week in case something of interest arises, but it is true these are relatively lean times.Very grateful to vicomte for a reminder of the late Stanley unwin.....plenty of him on youtube and deepjoy to watch.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
dar

Post by dar »

Apathy - who cares, right? Don't bore me. Keep me interested and entertained. Geez, not another damn drama, cast of thousands, too many f*cking extras. I get it. I've been there. Done that. I can't write in a sound bite if I'm trying to share who I am...by fire or water or some type of element.

Many people have died who posted to the board or newsgroup and there was barely a bang. It's life and death I guess.

I'm not Lot's wife, no turning around, I'm hitting the ground running.

Hope those on Hydra are having a great time. Bye for awhile.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

I nearly understood that post so things are looking up.

Deep joy.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

cohenadmirer wrote:
Took the advice and tried to read the entire thread, but apathy got in the way so gave up.
Not at all surprised! 8)

Those who post such twaddle must have very little of interest going on in their lives...
Ring the bells that still can ring...
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

Mabeanie1 wrote: ... any desire I had to engage in forum discussions has been killed by those people who make it their mission to be unpleasant, offensive or rude to those who do post ...

Wendy
Well said.You are not alone!

Just to clarify:
I did not of course condemn this whole thread, as the poster of the abusive comment seems to think.

The thread began as an interesting topic of discussion, and so continued for about 12 relevant posts. (Had to go back now to count them!)
I was just about to respond to this one by Wendy when I found that the thread had been diverted with irrelevant stuff by those who had done the same on other threads.
So I didn't bother.
Apathy.

My point was that anyone who read this thread from beginning to end would see how the train of thought was broken.
Add to that the abusive language now apparently tolerated and it is easy to see why few of us bother anymore.

My final post here - Summer calls. 8)
Ring the bells that still can ring...
Sandra Tenanten

Post by Sandra Tenanten »

Awww, Steven. I understand your frustration, but nothing is perfect.

“Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.”

Post when you can, but don't let your frustration of yesterdays ruin your today.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Beautiful advice, Sandra.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
dar

Post by dar »

I've been posting irrelevant and distracting drivel here since 2001. Is there an other me in another universe making other choices that are relevant and attractive? Should I be apathetic or apologetic? This me has been trying to make a proper pie crust since 1973. If I bring it to share at a pot luck it will stay uncut. Am I deterred, deferred, or feeling deserted? Hell, no. Like granny's inedible fruitcake she gifted to everyone until she died at 93, I'll be rolling that dessert dough into eternity. Apathetic or pathetic? Who cares?!

(I honestly don't even enjoy pie or try to make dough from scratch anymore. I just buy frozen pie crust to use for quiche. Yet, a part of me wishes I could be like that granny I made up for the post. There's something noble about being consistent. ;-) )
abby

Post by abby »

12 years ago or so i made a berry pie for a potluck. it was too full, the top crust was a lattice but the crossing strips were varying widths & thicknesses. i crimped the edges but like an amateur. i don't think the lattice really stuck to the edges. some stranger took an enormous piece of it & told me it was 'soulful.' i cant imagine a better compliment. who wants a pie that looks like a machine, or a perfectionist, made it? i don't have what it takes to make a pie very often these days, but the next time i do i will send you a photo of the soulful behemoth 💜
dar

Post by dar »

Well hello sweetie pie! A pic of a perfect piece or an image of an imperfect slice...it's just good to know you're still here and there and going for it. Good to see you Abby.
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Smoking is more enjoyable than not smoking.
"Wasting time" (each has his own definition of this) is more enjoyable than working.
And, as the younger out there know, partying is more enjoyable than studying.

Life is full of choices and it is our responsibility for making more correct than incorrect ones. Blaming marketing seems a cop-out. If I was going to worry about things that influence people in bad ways, I would worry far more about social media than cigarette advertising.

Not standing on any soapbox, I am a longtime cigarettes smoker.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
Marnauth

Post by Marnauth »

We should also pay attention that smoking may be very harmful thing you know. We have studied a lot about this and you know that you should stop smoking for sure if you don't want a cancer or tuberculosis. I remember even writing online nursing papers about the thing and i've learned a lot about the harm smoking can deliver to every person, so stop this.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for all the laughs including laughter tears, dar and g. Again! Not realizing I'd already been a part of this thread, I was just toodling along, laughing away and then BAM, there I was. Read the whole thread, though. Now to try to get the rest of my cats in.

~ Lizzie xxx
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Comments & Questions”