never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
lazariuk

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by lazariuk »

I very much like your picture Geoffrey. It look like someone walking a record groove on a LC song wondering if the crack has been adequately filled in. A lot has been.
Everything being said to you is true; Imagine of what it is true.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:33 pm ...you frequently express appreciation for the little efforts i make, and i feel compelled to again reiterate how important it is that you realise how much it means to me...

You are welcome, Geoffrey, and thank you for all the nice things you say about me -- I'll try not to let it go to my head!

Because you wrote such lovely things, I will post another picture, just for you, this one an improvisation. I did experiment with coloured pencil on black card, but the black paper was determined to absorb the vibrancy of the colours, even after numerous layers of pigment, and I did not like the results. So, I drew a flower on white paper, and then cut-and-pasted it onto the black, and you can see what it looks like. Cheers!
Improvisation on black by LisaLCFan.jpg
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:54 am beverly, if i may call you by your first name, there is a special way of stopping the picture from turning brown, and i do not mean with fixative - so no need to worry. in any case, nothing in life is permanent. you and i have never been formally introduced, so i hope you will excuse me for being so forward as to address you in this manner. it is taking a liberty, i am aware, but just wanted to be brought into the warm, as it were.
Ah Geoffrey, seeing that we have “known” each other for over ten years now, of course you can call me by the same name that Leonard did :) ;-)

And that’s most interesting you have a method of stopping organic figurative beetroot juice from oxidizing. You should patent it!

Lisa, that’s very inventive plus it seems you have had fun doing it and with a most pleasing result! That’s what art is all about, finding solutions to situations. I hope you don’t mind but you could find this one helpful - https://emptyeasel.com/2018/01/02/how-t ... ed-pencil/
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:33 am ...Lisa, that’s very inventive plus it seems you have had fun doing it and with a most pleasing result! ...
I hope you don’t mind but you could find this one helpful...

Thanks, Bev! It was, indeed, fun to do!

And, thanks for the link -- I don't mind at all, it was very thoughtful of you, but I actually found that web-page myself the other day, and I tried that, starting with layers of white, then layers of colour, but it was incredibly tedious (as in, no fun at all!) and it still did not yield the same vibrancy of colour that I can get (without the tedium of excessive layering) on white paper (and which I prefer!). Cheers!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

at no time in the past several years have i had so little free time, so please excuse delay in responding.

lisa, the hawaiian flower is brilliant, in all ways, and makes me want to try 'cut-out' images. glad you found a way of making the flower vibrant, it is impressive, a great idea! :-)

scissors are a useful tool, and have much potential as equipment in the making of pictures. an artist i hesitate to call myself, but as far as i can ascertain, from the excellent work i have seen in numerous galleries, there is only one rule in the world of art, and that is to avoid rules. it's nice to get positive feedback, it's even nice to get negative feedback, but no feedback at all, especially for someone with little self-confidence, kills enthusiasm.

beverly, or 'bev' as you are sometimes called, thank you for being so friendly :-)
------------------------------------------
his lips and his fingers were blue.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

there will always be far more books written about jack the ripper than mother teresa
epstein.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
Geoffrey wrote: ...as the old adage says: a goose looks fine until it stands by a peacock...
Not all old adages are true, and I do not buy into that one: the beauty of one particular thing should not been seen as diminishing the beauty of another thing -- both can be as beautiful as can be, in their own way and by their own nature. If I saw a goose and a peacock side-by-side, I would undoubtedly think, "What a beautiful goose! And, what a beautiful peacock!" -- to me, neither takes away from the other. (I am actually rather fond of geese!)
don't know what these people at amazon are on, but am told this product is available for a little longer.
amazon.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/Avalanches-Poetr ... 896&sr=8-1
Leonard Cohen wrote: "if there were no paintings in the world, mine would be very important. same with my songs. since this is not the case, let us make haste to get in line, well towards the back"
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

There you go, denigrating geese again. Poor birds -- you are going to give them an inferiority complex if you keep this up.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Good on you, Geoffrey! Nice to see your portrait published! I remember you speaking about that some months ago -
https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... an#p372270
Geoffrey wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:23 pm an american publisher is to give out a volume (something to do with leonard), and has approached me for permission to use a colour picture from a couple of years ago. no money will change hands, but i did ask if it would be possible to receive a copy of the book.
https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... an#p372281
Geoffrey wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:47 pm LisaLCFan wrote:
>Please do tell us more about this book -- "something to do with Leonard" -- if you wish! Folks around here seem interested in that sort of thing! ;-)
it's supposed to be coming out early november. all things inspired by leonard, poetry, prose, short stories, pictures, things like that. i have nothing to do with it apart from the cover, an old picture:

Sorry if the image is too big but that automatically happened when I copied the link and I can't make it smaller.
He does have a prominent presence here anyway :)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hello, lisa and bev - for once again shining a spear of warm light into this cold wintry landscape. i am an antique, an irrelevant ghost, i suspect you know this, and are being kind - but that's all right :-)

sometimes it's as if people i've lost are delivering invitations, depression breaks out from its confined area, and like a virus permeates every thought. then i come here, see the messages, and am encouraged to believe the music can continue a little longer, that it's not the end - just a 'deceptive cadence', as they call it. thank you so much! :-)
-----------------------
"listen to the hummingbird whose wings you cannot see, listen to the hummingbird - don't listen to me"
scribble.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

"getting older, of course, is the only game in town, but It's really a very interesting process"
interesting process.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

adam cohen said:
>when he took his hat off at the end of shows, he had this look of humility and bewilderment and gratitude - this was not an act.
not an act.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Thanks for these latest drawings, Geoffrey -- they are wonderful, and as usual, they seem to capture the essence and presence of the subjects so very well. Lovely!

And, no, I am not just "being kind" -- be assured that my remarks are always genuine! Cheers!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:34 pm Thanks for these latest drawings, Geoffrey -- they are wonderful, and as usual, they seem to capture the essence and presence of the subjects so very well. Lovely!
And, no, I am not just "being kind" -- be assured that my remarks are always genuine! Cheers!
thank you, and i believe you. i will have to stop visiting galleries. "who, after beethoven, may dare to do anything?" said schubert - but that did not stop him, of course. comparing oneself to a superior being is folly, a defeatist attitude, to be sure - as there will almost always be someone more talented than oneself. having said that, i am not afraid to show pictures that i know are bad, because it means the following one has an improved chance of being a little better.

it's very difficult to speak positively about oneself, to tell people of one's achievements, without it sounding as if one is boasting. leonard was self deprecating, an excellent way of staying one step ahead of criticism, although with him it was genuine, ingrained in his character, not merely a tactic. he was a good role model and teacher, at least for me.
-------------------------------------------
"if i was playing his guitar or his keyboard, he would say: 'it's like you're using my toothbrush' " - adam cohen
adam colour.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

norway is cold but i like where i'm living, and there's music on the radio all through the evening :-)
card.jpg
"i wish the women would hurry up and take over. it's going to happen so let's get it over with, then we men could go about our childish work while they keep the world going. i really am for the matriarchy." new york times 1968
songs of lc.jpg

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”