never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
Geoffrey

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:15 am You've inspired me, too -- to post a picture or two. Here's another of my flowers, this one a drawing in coloured pencil. Cheers!
wonderful! will return as soon as i get the chance :-)
-g
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>I am glad to hear that I've inspired you -- how very nice! As for not yet having attempted it, I can relate to that: I often find that inspiration and action do not always go hand-in-hand, no matter how much I may think about and even want to do something, because actually doing it is just a bit more than I can manage. It can be frustrating, but sometimes it just seems to be the way it is.

totally agree. a psychological problem, as far as i'm concerned - i think. whenever i DO get time to act on inspiration some undefined force tries to stop that initial step. there always seems to be the kitchen that just needs tidying first, or the international news i simply have to catch up with, or a friend that i imagine is waiting for a return call. one way to combat the brakes from being applied to my creativity is to try to always have everything ready in the spare room that's used as an atelier. this enables me to walk in and start straight away, before the demons of negativity have a chance to hold any bursts of motivation under a cold shower.

inspiration to do something original cannot be picked from the lowest branches, one has to work for it, search for it, pray for it. picasso hit the nail on the head when he said that getting an idea for a picture is 90% of the work.

>You've inspired me, too -- to post a picture or two. Here's another of my flowers, this one a drawing in coloured pencil. Cheers!

if you only knew how i wish my signature could be attached to a picture like that. there is no way i can produce anything as peaceful, fragile and beautiful as your amaryllis. there is a gentleness in your style that i totally lack - it makes me envious.

a florist delivered ten roses to me on saturday, a lovely gesture of friendship after i gave someone a picture a short while ago. this morning i decided to draw them. didn't go very well, so i painted on top of them, even though i started to understand that the exercise was doomed to be devoid of any success. nevertheless i dare to show the embarrassing result. pretty awful, by all accounts, maybe i should stick to portraits ;-)
roses.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:09 pm ...if you only knew how i wish my signature could be attached to a picture like that. there is no way i can produce anything as peaceful, fragile and beautiful as your amaryllis. there is a gentleness in your style that i totally lack - it makes me envious...

Ah, but there is a bold vibrancy to your pictures -- your roses are beautiful, I love the painting! There is no need whatsoever for you to stick to portraits -- you've done a marvellous job with the flowers! (It is "awful" only in the archaic sense -- "full of awe"!)

I think you've mentioned that you paint (draw, etc), quite quickly, whereas, my pictures are meticulous things that proceed slowly and take hours to complete (even if I set out to try to do them faster). I'd love to be able to splash down some paint (or pencil...) like you do, and end up with a picture that exudes such dynamic energy, but that does not seem to be how it works for me (nor how I am!). I actually think that it is really kind of cool, as well as being ideal, when a person can express something of themselves through a picture, in their own personal "style", whatever that may be.

And, of course, thank you for the very kind words about my drawing! :D Cheers!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>. . . my pictures are meticulous things that proceed slowly and take hours to complete (even if I set out to try to do them faster). I'd love to be able to splash down some paint (or pencil...) like you do, and end up with a picture that exudes such dynamic energy, but that does not seem to be how it works for me (nor how I am!).

I think your approach to work is similar to that which Leonard had, and it obviously pays off :-)
---------------------------
Leonard Cohen wrote:
>"i never really got into cocaine. i tried it but i don't really like ingesting things through my nose. it always seemed so undignified for a chap of my stature."
240g black card.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

lady on bench.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: ...I think your approach to work is similar to that which Leonard had, and it obviously pays off

It's not everyday that I am compared, favourably, to Leonard Cohen, so, thank you! 8)

Geoffrey wrote: ...Leonard Cohen wrote:>"i never really got into cocaine. i tried it but i don't really like ingesting things through my nose. it always seemed so undignified for a chap of my stature."

I love that quote! It is so hilarious, and so "Leonard". :lol:

Your portrait of Leonard on black cardstock is very interesting -- it reminds me a bit of the black velvet paintings that were all the rage a few decades ago (but, your picture is less tacky!). I am intrigued, and I may just try that. What medium did you use for the colours?
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>Your portrait of Leonard on black cardstock is very interesting -- it reminds me a bit of the black velvet paintings that were all the rage a few decades ago (but, your picture is less tacky!). I am intrigued, and I may just try that.

yes, i remember those velvet paintings, and still see them for sale in junk shops, always very cheap - have never been attracted to them.

>What medium did you use for the colours?

just three or four coloured pencils (the same as you use), bought in a children's toy store. "all children are artists", said picasso - and even though i can never again fall into that category, using their tools is a profound privilege. incidentally, the coloured portrait i posted around 20th august was done mostly with a child's 4-colour ferby.
https://www.fila.it/fr/en/product/lyra- ... 4-colours/

flattering it is to know that you found my picture intriguing, a big compliment for such a small reckless sketch. what is intriguing to me, after reading that you may try using black card, is the thought of how one of your radiant flowers might appear on such a dark background. then again, the object should not really be to create a picture that everyone likes, but to forget about ego and simply produce art :-)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:52 am [1]... incidentally, the coloured portrait i posted around 20th august was done mostly with a child's 4-colour ferby.
[2]...what is intriguing to me, after reading that you may try using black card, is the thought of how one of your radiant flowers might appear on such a dark background...

1. Cool! I did not know that such a thing existed -- I looked back at your picture, and I can see how that pencil created those colours.

2. I was thinking exactly the same thing! ;-)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

beetroot juice gone past its expiry date can still be used :-)
beetroot.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:26 am beetroot juice gone past its expiry date can still be used :-)

That is a fantastic portrait! I love the colour, the expression, everything! Awesome!

(I also noticed the bottle of rosé -- a very pale yellowish one, in the photo, anyway -- I thought it was white wine until I read the label. Perhaps it needs a bit of that beet juice to add some blush. ;-) Hope it was good!)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey, that is a great pensive portrait!
You know that over time it will become a brown-yellowish old sepia-like colour which is OK.
Its style and feeling reminds me of the coffee one you did some years ago that you know I also like :)

Also, its good to note your versatility with the different feeling between it and the black card pencil drawing which has an expression of immediacy - excellent for conveying its direct impact. I think both portraits are great :D

Lisa, so nice to see your flowers, especially the green toned watercolour - keep on with your artwork!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:10 am Lisa, so nice to see your flowers, especially the green toned watercolour - keep on with your artwork!

Thanks, Bev! I enjoy it -- I just do it for fun, and it's a great way to spend time! Cheers!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

thank you lisa and B4real - two lovely ladies. yes, the wine was from new zealand, lisa. not the best colour, as you noticed - not the best taste either. there are so many labels, and trying a different one is a regular habit. i am not one of those people who always sit in the same place when attending parish meetings at the town hall or lectures at the auditorium. a psychologist would probably know why this is.

beverly, if i may call you by your first name, there is a special way of stopping the picture from turning brown, and i do not mean with fixative - so no need to worry. in any case, nothing in life is permanent. you and i have never been formally introduced, so i hope you will excuse me for being so forward as to address you in this manner. it is taking a liberty, i am aware, but just wanted to be brought into the warm, as it were.
----------------------
from private collection, final tour. leonard showing his age
https://youtu.be/DKuHAUb7pKk
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:54 am ...from private collection, final tour. leonard showing his age
https://youtu.be/DKuHAUb7pKk

That was sublime, Geoffrey, thank you!

However, I would contradict your video's description: to me, Leonard appears ageless and beautiful -- I guess it depends on what one sees. Nonetheless, it was a terrific performance, and a really lovely video, thanks!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:11 pm That was sublime, Geoffrey, thank you!

However, I would contradict your video's description: to me, Leonard appears ageless and beautiful -- I guess it depends on what one sees. Nonetheless, it was a terrific performance, and a really lovely video, thanks!
you frequently express appreciation for the little efforts i make, and i feel compelled to again reiterate how important it is that you realise how much it means to me. many of us carry so much hurt around, cruelty from fate or other people, experiences that are shared with no one, or at least very few. therefore a positive word can lighten one's existence, help someone to accept that they have worth, induce confidence. you are a bright person, and i don't mean only in warmth and radiance. dostoevsky said that it takes something more than intelligence to act intelligently, and whatever that 'something' is, you undoubtedly have it, it commands respect, it is your most endearing quality.

you are right to contradict the video's description. leonard was a beautiful man in every respect. i show this short footage because the camera is closer and less shaky than many others currently on youtube from 2013 :-)

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”