never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
Sideways

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Sideways »

Ah, nice song "The Bald Lad and the Absent Hair".

Yes, Godfrey and I have been locks in battle, in hot hirsuit of Lisa's favour. She dropped her 'kerchief and my Norse friend bowed to pick it up. Meanwhile, I blow my nose in their "general direction".

" I will not make any deals with you two. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign.".

I have never won a damn fucking thing in my whole life and here I was through to the final against a guy who can paint!

Godfrey and Lisa had the chance to make me happy but thy scorned it, scorned me, and by association joined hands with Donald Trump.

I will never speak again in this forthem, never.
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

you utter, utter, bastards
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending self-pity

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>WTMI: way too much information!

apologies. thank you for the video, and for the nice words when declaring me the winner of the recent competition :)
----------------------
Leonard wrote:
>"it's all f***** up, and god has a very dark and cruel side, as you and the real kabbalists know. let us hope against hope, that our prayers, and our demonstrations of human love and friendship, can return he/she/it to some sort of sanity, or unity, and both human and divine consciousness can be repaired. god needs a human education to heal it's agonizing and monstrous bi-polar predicament, which apparently is why we were created: to restore a balance to the system that was fractured when the world was formed. not a casual mission, as we are dealing with the one who in a panic of materialization, created life and death, night and day, joy and suffering, good and evil. hard to swallow, but that is what the jewish mystics dare to tell us. we are that part of the broken system specifically designed to repair the system."
that existence begins and ends is man’s conception, not nature’s. and i felt my body dwindling, melting, becoming nothing..jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

That is an excellent portrait (and quite the title!) -- thank you for sharing it with us, Geoffrey! That is what Leonard looked like when I first "discovered" him (when the "I'm Your Man" album came out), and that is the primary image that I associate with him.

I think that if an alien came to Earth and asked about the meaning of the word "cool", I would simply show them a picture of Leonard Cohen circa 1988, very much like the one you've drawn, because I can't think of a better way to explain it. 8)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:58 am That is an excellent portrait (and quite the title!) -- thank you for sharing it with us, Geoffrey! That is what Leonard looked like when I first "discovered" him (when the "I'm Your Man" album came out), and that is the primary image that I associate with him.

I think that if an alien came to Earth and asked about the meaning of the word "cool", I would simply show them a picture of Leonard Cohen circa 1988, very much like the one you've drawn, because I can't think of a better way to explain it. 8)
thank you, lisa. the reason these portraits are shared is primarily a selfish one, because doing so allows me to offer something in return to both leonard and jarkko for the kindness and goodwill afforded me over the years. i must say, it greatly warms the heart to learn that my picture is connected to a positive association from your past.

it was drawn in an old exercise book, and is not my first attempt at the 'i'm your man' album cover. i believe the last time was two or three years ago. but where that is now, or if a scan exists on a website or a hard disk somewhere, i have no idea.

that this one is "excellent" is questionable, at least in my own assessment, but it was genuinely good of you to think so. if by "the title" you refer to the words that appear when the cursor swoops over the image, then i can add that they are from the closing monologue of an old film, though i am sure you are well aware of this.

perhaps a visitor from somewhere other than this planet having already arrived is not a completely implausible idea, and that the definition of 'cool' - in the sense that you are using it - has already been included in their everyday glossary. it was you, i seem to recall, who recently mentioned 'the allegory of the cave', so who knows? it reminded me of the words of a spiritual leader who once said: "i have told you about earthly things and you do not believe, so how then can you believe if i tell you about heavenly things?"

to finish, and perhaps to claim something a little in common with leonard, i too have studied a number of religions and philosophies, from the banal eckankar to the intellectual swedenborgianism, from ancient socrates and plato to contemporary einstein and hawking - and i still don't know jack shit.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:46 am ...
to finish, and perhaps to claim something a little in common with leonard, i too have studied a number of religions and philosophies, from the banal eckankar to the intellectual swedenborgianism, from ancient socrates and plato to contemporary einstein and hawking - and i still don't know jack shit.
That is the problem, you see, with studying the religions and philosophies: what one studies is just words, something written in a book. When one reads philosophy or religious or scientific texts, it is just a logical and rational activity, reading words that are supposed to represent something. But they are just words, they are not the thing in itself that they are meant to represent. In order to understand what is real, what is valuable, what has meaning, beyond the words in a book, one has too look elsewhere, beyond books and words, to find truth in itself, rather than just the words that somebody has written in a paltry effort to capture some of the meaning of what is real. That is why so many people fail to achieve the enlightenment that they seek when they study words -- all they learn about is more words, not about life and the things they really want to know.

I, too, have studied many things, read many books, but what one can learn from them is just more words, and words are empty, just representations. They can get one closer to the truth, but one must stop reading and just feel, experience, think, live, be -- that is how one learns what is truly important, for oneself, and not according to the words written (or spoken) by another.

If one is truly lost and lacks direction, words can open some doors, illuminate some paths, but it is up to each person individually to go from there, to step through those doors or to follow those paths, in ways that may be unique to them, in order to find what they are looking for, or, perhaps more importantly, to be open to whatever they might find -- often a person does not know what they are looking for until they find it -- that is true enlightenment, I think, finding the unexpected, for oneself, and not according to what another person says or writes about what it should be like.

But, these are just words -- and thus they are probably no more effective than all the other words you have read, just my attempt to explain something beyond words, in a way that will probably be no more enlightening than anything else you've read. Stop reading.
solongleonard

Re: never-bending celery

Post by solongleonard »

Hello, I have been following this topic for a while and a number of you seem to think that celery can be bent. Actually it cracks.

If you (Godfrey and Lisa particularly), listen to this track there is a chance that you can cure your ignorance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXO8lwGLlTY
SOME PEOPLE NEVER GO CRAZY.
WHAT TRULY HORRIBLE LIVES
THEY MUST LEAD
LisaLCFan

Re: sometimes-bending celery

Post by LisaLCFan »

solongleonard wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:09 pm Hello, I have been following this topic for a while and a number of you seem to think that celery can be bent. Actually it cracks.

If you (Godfrey and Lisa particularly), listen to this track there is a chance that you can cure your ignorance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXO8lwGLlTY

First, thank you for yet another offering of Frank Zappa's music, which, as of yet, I completely fail to enjoy or appreciate.

Second, some celery can, in fact, be bent. The small, rubbery stalks in the middle of the celery heart, for instance, and any celery that has been in one's fridge for far too long, will almost always bend rather than crack.

Perhaps Mr. Zappa, with the usual depth and wisdom of his lyrics, wrote a song about that, too. ;-)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

not sure if i am being trolled here, but interesting post about words nevertheless.

thank you for the zappa video. unfortunately i was unable to listen to the whole thing, as my ears took in their welcome mats.

can't stay right now, driving inland to sjøholt at daybreak; should be home tomorrow night. :-)
poster design.jpg
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending studying

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:50 am not sure if i am being trolled here, but interesting post about words nevertheless...
"Trolled" by whom? Me? Surely not! I sincerely meant what I wrote (I always do), and I thought it might be useful.

Anyway, this thread isn't about words, it's about your pictures! Cheers!
solongleonard

Re: private message

Post by solongleonard »

LisaLCFan wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:58 am
That is an excellent portrait (and quite the title!) -- thank you for sharing it with us, Godfrey! That is what Leonard looked like when I first "discovered" him (when the "I'm Your Man" album came out), and that is the primary image that I associate with him. I thought you would appreciate me publicly declaring you the winner of the recent competition.

Mike, I think you understand that you are the real winner but I wanted to boost Godfrey. I worry about him. He is like an alien came to Earth and he doesn't even know the meaning of the word "cool",! I want to simply show space invaders a picture of Leonard Cohen circa 1988, very much like the Godfrey has drawn , because I can't think of a better way to explain it. 8)

Mike, keep this message completely confidential. I'm sorry it is so gobble dee dooky!
THEY MUST LEAD
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>I sincerely meant what I wrote (I always do) . . .

People tell me it's almost impossible to say something positive about oneself without it sounding haughty, but I didn't get that feeling when I read this - only one of respect.

It appears that you and I have more in common than supremely high intelligence and an admiration for Mr Cohen's work. For in my entire life I have never once told an untruth or tried to mislead anyone, and I am sure that lots of people will vouch for that. They will confirm that the integrity of my character is intact, and that I have no social shortcomings or moral failings whatsoever. Lying is something I can neither do nor condone, it just isn't in my nature to engage in that sort of thing, because I couldn't live with myself if I did.

My grandmother, bless her heart, always said: "Tell the truth and shame the devil!" - and even though psychologists claim that 80% of what we learn is gone within 24 hours, her little Rabelaisian aphorism was etched into my soul from the very beginning. You too, presumably, must have experienced something in a similar vein, because people are not born inherently good, it is a virtue inculcated into a youngster by a responsible person from an early age.

The question, therefore, is: Can an upright individual proudly state that they are the sole architects of their own personalities? I think not, and that is why I respect what you wrote, because while writing a nice thing about yourself, you leave open the possibility that it's not all your doing, that partial credit goes to someone else.
solongleonard

clever-ending fellow-knee

Post by solongleonard »

oh yeah yeah yeah, you say something, it makes me understand, but did you like MY post, do you wanna hold my hand, do you wanna hold my hand...
THEY MUST LEAD
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

solongleonard wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:34 pm oh yeah yeah yeah, you say something, it makes me understand, but did you like MY post, do you wanna hold my hand, do you wanna hold my hand...
yes, mike - it was lovely. time is moving faster, you know. we are getting older quicker than before. something to do with the stars racing away from each other at an ever increasing speed. so i can't manage to do everything, some tasks are being neglected, and unfortunately responding to confidential letters addressed to lisa is one of them. ;-)

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”