never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending gallery

Postby LisaLCFan » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:17 pm

Geoffrey wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:43 pm
...any astute person with an appreciation of a gifted artist's phenomenal brilliance knows it - that the vast amount of excellent portraits of leonard and his circle existing with my signature has unquestionably guaranteed both he and myself a permanent place in the world of culture.
I am glad to see that you are having a high self-esteem day! It is nice, on occasion, to be able to recognise and accept one's own special talents, rather than brushing them aside or otherwise downplaying them (as you are sometimes wont to do when it comes to your art, although whether that is due to false modesty or genuine humility, I cannot ascertain).

Is the portrait of Leonard from July 5 done in pencil, or...? I like it!
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:41 pm

LisaLCFan wrote:
>It is nice, on occasion, to be able to recognise and accept one's own special talents, rather than brushing them aside or otherwise downplaying them (as you are sometimes wont to do when it comes to your art, although whether that is due to false modesty or genuine humility, I cannot ascertain).

perhaps you are onto something with what you write, lisa, as usual. it is often difficult to ascertain what is false and what is genuine, even within ourselves. i don't believe anyone enjoys having an imposter hiding in their flesh, a mental submarine capable of firing torpedos and surfacing at inopportune moments. but how does a subjective mind recognise the difference between host and gatecrasher, sincerity and subterfuge - and even if that were possible, would we not be entering the dreaded domain of psychological 'splitting'?
https://youtu.be/F3hzrDDBx-Y

>Is the portrait of Leonard from July 5 done in pencil, or...?

on the two instruments used for the picture you mentioned (black and grey watercolour pencils) stands 'albrecht dürer faber castell', used simply as crayons, no water. afterwards the image was slightly enhanced by quickly putting it through software to add a little colour.
my computer is six hours ahead of yours, by the way.
date.jpg
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:59 pm

Geoffrey wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:41 pm
...it is often difficult to ascertain what is false and what is genuine, even within ourselves. ... but how does a subjective mind recognise the difference between host and gatecrasher, sincerity and subterfuge - and even if that were possible, would we not be entering the dreaded domain of psychological 'splitting'?

The mind is, indeed, a complex thing. I have spent a lot of time pondering its mysteries -- both the ones in my own mind, and the ones in the minds of others. It is a fascinating but sometimes futile exercise, depending on the minds involved, and on what one hopes to achieve.

Geoffrey wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:41 pm
..on the two instruments used for the picture you mentioned (black and grey watercolour pencils) stands 'albrecht dürer faber castell', used simply as crayons, no water. afterwards the image was slightly enhanced by quickly putting it through software to add a little colour.
my computer is six hours ahead of yours, by the way.

Thanks for the media info (I have a set of those watercolour pencils!) -- the colours looked like pencils, too.

As for the date of the picture in question -- my mistake -- I glanced at the wrong one (I see the same time/date stamp on forum posts as you do, regardless of my local time!).
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:29 am

LisaLCFan wrote:
>The mind is, indeed, a complex thing. I have spent a lot of time pondering its mysteries -- both the ones in my own mind, and the ones in the minds of others. It is a fascinating but sometimes futile exercise, depending on the minds involved, and on what one hopes to achieve.

"fascinating" it most certainly is, at least to me, and especially in relation to a mind that is other than 'normal' - if i may be so bold. i agree that pondering upon its mysteries might also seem to be "futile" in some cases, but to completely stop pondering upon a mystery would cause stagnation of thought, the poison of progression. on a tram in oslo last week a grossly overweight african lady sitting near to me thrust a magazine in my face while stabbing her finger at an illustration: "i ain't never saw no shit like this!" - she exclaimed in 'english'. i pushed the periodical some centimetres away, to allow my eyes to focus, but she snatched it away before they were given a chance. i share this experience in order to offer an example of how essential it is that the human race evolves.

>Thanks for the media info (I have a set of those watercolour pencils!) -- the colours looked like pencils, too.

you are more than welcome, lisa. i am quite sure your artwork is well worth viewing. incidentally, i favour using 300/400 gram textured grain paper, as a 'terrain' effect can sometimes be more interesting than flat paper - but that is purely a personal preference.

here again is the earlier picture, to compare to a revised version :-)
revised.jpg
solongleonard

Re: never-bending cutlery. Disaster for Uri Gagarin

Postby solongleonard » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:57 am

I think the 2 women in the photos are, in limited ways, quite similar. Perhaps they are Identical 3rd Cousins? Do you know if they were snapped by the David Blaim photosteffigraffer?

I was interested to raid your diatribe about the music grouping "Complex Minds" . Although most scholars like most their line "Don't you forget about me" most other people most like the verse "Hey, hey, hey, hey
Ooh woh". I am told (by a very clever dog) that Cohen (Leonard) may have co-wroted the abover line but fell out with Simon Kerr (Jim's 4th Cousin trousers removed). Leonarder had originally written the line as "Hydra, Hydra, Hydra, Hi there Man. Pooh wop". Simon said, "Man, that is total shit, you racist". Leonard spontaneously quipped "Hey, hey, hey, hey Ooh woh".

What a git, fucking Simon Kerr.

Welcome backwards, Geoffers.
Last edited by solongleonard on Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:07 am

solongleonard wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:57 am
I think the 2 women in the photos are, in limited ways, quite similar. Perhaps they are Identical 3rd Cousins? Do you know if they were snapped by the David Blaim photosteffigraffer?
michael, lisa and i are in the middle of a highly intellectual discussion concerning art and neuroscience!!!
solongleonard

Postby solongleonard » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:10 am

let me tell you something. years ago when I was Scottish, I was all in favour. Now I am again.
solongleonard

Re: never-ending BOLLOCKS

Postby solongleonard » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:11 am

and a word of advice from a very tired man, DON'T MESS WITH ME...
Last edited by solongleonard on Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
solongleonard

Re: never-ending saucery

Postby solongleonard » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:13 am

TO EAT A SHEEP'S HEART
OR NOT TO EAT A SHEEP'S HEART
HAGG IS THE QUESTION
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:19 am

LisaLCFan wrote several things (which i later hope to return to), including:
>. . . hope you get to see the Mozart opera!

thank you, yes i was there. wonderful to experience live opera. would have preferred something a little less 'whimsical' - if that is the right word - but thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless, including the atmosphere, everyone wearing their most elegant attire, and during the interval sipping wine at tables in the foyer or taking a brief stroll along the oslofjord promenade. it was a universe rarely visited by myself - and i felt alive. i was so fortunate to get one of the last seats available, for it was fully booked. the seat was one of the worst in the theatre, right at the top, back row - but i cannot imagine anyone being more enthralled by the privilege of being there than i. even though 'the magic flute' is a light-hearted opera, so moved was i, being in such a concert hall, in a city far away from the small and staid fishing town where i have my base, that tears welled in my eyes during the 'papagena, papageno' duet, and should anyone have turned and seen me i would surely have died from embarrassment. as a memento, i took this bad quality picture from my seat before the auditorium began to fill.
operahus.jpg
its4inthemorning wrote:
>Hi Geoffrey,
>
>I consult this thread occasionally for the same reasons as Lisa, to see any new artwork and to read any banter, you have a gift for both.

AlanM wrote:
>. . . for the same reasons as Lisa, 4 and I presume, many others.
>
>Keep sharing, you give pleasure to many.

thank you, '4' and alan. thank you so very much! reading your feedback, so positive, means a great deal to me. i have a bad habit of returning to peoples' messages when time and energy are not conspiring against me, so you may not yet have heard the last of me :-)

in the meantime . . .
https://youtu.be/ULihXz-MHH8
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:17 am

Geoffrey wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:19 am
... tears welled in my eyes during the 'papagena, papageno' duet, and should anyone have turned and seen me i would surely have died from embarrassment...
I think it is quite natural to be moved to tears by joyous and wonderful music -- tears are an outpouring of emotion, and it shows that you have a heart and soul (or whatever it is that makes us feel things profoundly. Sensitive neurons, perhaps?). Music, of any mood, provided it is beautiful and meaningful to me, frequently causes me to drown in tears from the emotional impact it has on me. I always bring copious amounts of Kleenex to concerts (and anywhere I go, if music is involved).

Glad you had such a great experience (even with a less-than-ideal view) -- and indeed, the atmosphere contributes very much to the pleasure and emotion of such events.
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending punnery

Postby LisaLCFan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:45 am

solongleonard wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:13 am
TO EAT A SHEEP'S HEART
OR NOT TO EAT A SHEEP'S HEART
HAGG IS THE QUESTION

Hello solong! I don't want you to think that we are all too sheepish to respond your poetic efforts. I have ruminanted over this one for a day or two, and I've come to the conclusion that it is gastronomically funny.
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:53 am

Geoffrey wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:29 am
... incidentally, i favour using 300/400 gram textured grain paper, as a 'terrain' effect can sometimes be more interesting than flat paper - but that is purely a personal preference.

here again is the earlier picture, to compare to a revised version :-)

First, I also sometimes use heavy textured paper -- particularly if water is involved, but not necessarily -- as it does add a nice effect, if that is what one is going for!

Second, thanks for the revised pic. I somewhat prefer the first (at this point in time): the gentle and subdued softness of the pencil (even digitally colourised) appeals to me. It seems to have an inviting quietness, compelling one to look closer and more deeply at its subtleties (as well as softening the intensity of Leonard's gaze in what was, originally, an extremely intense picture to the point of discomfort!).
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:12 am

"religion is my favourite hobby. it's deep and voluptious. nothing is comparable
to the delight you get from this activity. apart, obviously, from courting."
religious man.jpg
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:48 pm

LisaLCFan wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:53 am
First, I also sometimes use heavy textured paper -- particularly if water is involved, but not necessarily -- as it does add a nice effect, if that is what one is going for!

Second, thanks for the revised pic. I somewhat prefer the first (at this point in time): the gentle and subdued softness of the pencil (even digitally colourised) appeals to me. It seems to have an inviting quietness, compelling one to look closer and more deeply at its subtleties (as well as softening the intensity of Leonard's gaze in what was, originally, an extremely intense picture to the point of discomfort!).
so lovely to interact with someone like you, lisa, a genuinely interested and enquiring person, always ready to listen and frequently comment on other peoples' points of view. you make me feel blessed.
-------------
i should add, for anyone wishing to incorporate computer software in the process of their work, the final product will only exist on one's harddisk, and will not, of course, correspond to the original physical work (see below). for example, should someone wish to acquire the portrait you like so much, the only way would be via a high resolution digital copy - and that is not as attractive an investment for anyone preferring original work. as for myself, i am interested only in creating pictures, regardless of the media involved. i very seldom accept money for my work, as i have plenty - there is no business aspect that drives my enthusiasm. to be honest, i have no idea why i make so many pictures, especially of leonard, other than, perhaps, an illogical way of repaying or honouring him for his generous support and encouragement over the years. i never knew anyone as unselfish as he, nor anyone who had so much faith in my potential.
pic of lc.jpg

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”