Madonna Performs 'Haleluya' At Met Gala 2018

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
Vicomte

Re: Madonna Performs 'Haleluya' At Met Gala 2018

Post by Vicomte »

Wybe wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:31 pm I did not post it because I liked it, but for the forum members who would like to know this kind of things.
Nice to see that it is dicussed.
Yes Wybe and it was well discussed I thought. Thank for putting the link on, I am sleeping better now that I have let my frustrations about Madonna out.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Kush

Post by Kush »

No need to apologize Monsieur Tony (that is about the extent of my French !) :)

I have to say the clip posted was barely a few seconds so I have no opinion on it, one way or other. In general though I am a fan of Madonna's music and her singing voice, not to mention her polarizing personality. What's not to like !!
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Kush wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:58 am No need to apologize Monsieur Tony (that is about the extent of my French !) :)

I have to say the clip posted was barely a few seconds so I have no opinion on it, one way or other. In general though I am a fan of Madonna's music and her singing voice, not to mention her polarizing personality. What's not to like !!
Masses, I guess you can have one humble and one hugely egoistic person as your favourite music maestros.....bizarre but.....
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

I loved watching Arthur Smith do his Edinburgh sketch on Leonard Cohen when it was televised. And I have just read this: Especially loved the last paragraph.

Arthur Smith has had a long love of Leonard Cohen and regularly performs renditions of the late Canadian singer’s most well-known songs, including Hallelujah and Dance Me To The End Of Love. His show Arthur Smith Sings Leonard Cohen has been a critical success, and his songs will feature in his Norwich show. “I’ll also be doing two or three. I suggest to the audience I really am him but that the Leonard Cohen in question looks like me, just with a hat on.

“I’ve ended up being a Leonard Cohen tribute act. I consider myself to be the third best in south London. We’re planning on re-doing that show slightly back around the country and I’ll have three backing singers called The Smithereens. Apart from the fact that he wrote an enormous amount of beautiful songs, he was a proper poet and had a graceful, humble quality. He lived quite a life.”

Will the singer’s sudden death give the songs extra poignancy? “Yes I think it will. He died the day before Trump became President, of course. I call that a classy exit.”
Neil from The Young Ones
Kush

Post by Kush »

Yeah it is a little bizarre I guess, in fact I am a little bizarre but hey... Vive la difference ! :)

Now its time to move on dude ...
Karren B
Location: At the Cottage in the Village by the River near the Castle.

Post by Karren B »

Tony wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:16 am 'Chacun à son goût' or 'À chacun son goût', depending on one's use of language, taste or sense of pedantry.
Definitely not to my taste Tony. Or should I say, Certainement pas à mon gout ... Not really a Madonna fan.

Sorry to hear that you are in need of a carer; though I’m not surprised after hearing that the three or four months a year you spend in France is really one long booze cruise. I would say put my name down for the next one, but as you know I'm teetotal. :lol: :lol: ;-)

xx
'Take the breath of a new dawn
And make it a part of you.
It will give you strength'
ScottM

Post by ScottM »

Perhaps Leonard and Madonna met when they were both inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame together in 2008, and agreed to cover some of each other’s material to be surfaced 10 years later.
Has anyone come across Leonard’s versions of “Like a Virgin” or “Papa Don’t Preach”?
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam
B4real

Post by B4real »

Maybe Madonna has been recently reading Leonard's novels, Beautiful Losers and The Favourite Game because she's named her new single "Beautiful Game" ;-)

https://www.outinperth.com/madonna-reve ... iful-game/

And who knows, another of her future songs could be called “Favourite Losers” :razz:
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

While I'm not a Madonna fan, I found this quite lovely. Yesterday, Madonna released the full video of her performance of "Like A Prayer," "Beautiful Game" and "Hallelujah" at the Met Gala in 2018. The choreography and the backdrop are definitely special

https://youtu.be/jVgE45ZYTfw

(There is some static during Like A Prayer but it disappears.)
Marie
Speaking Cohen

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”