Leonard in the Aussie limelight

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

It seems great. I wish there's a recording...?
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

HI Tom! Long time, no see. More recordings?! You're going to need a warehouse or an airplaine hangar to store your treasures! Nice to run into you again.

Linda
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Hi Linda - well, I saw your posts in some other threads I usually don't visit. I was confused because that was a weekr or two ago, and I did think you left on some trip or something...? :D
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Hi Tom!

I went on a Poetry Competition trip! I was the intermediary (inter-thingy) while Joe Way was the judge. I had pretty much stayed off the board for the duration. The comp. is over now, so I'm baaaacck.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Oh, you are right! I did take a short trip before the comp. - now another short trip coming up. Do you feel like taking care of my travel plans? :wink: You can send my itinerary via PM.

Linda
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I only remember you was farewelling for one hour or so here on the forum :D I thought you're be gone for at least one-month :wink:
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Yes, I find farewells hard to do. What was supposed to be one long trip, has turned into two short trips. It's easier on the hotels. Even though I have family in Vancouver, I prefer to visit with them, than disrupt their home with my weird and wonderful ways! I won't be farewelling this time though - I probably did enough the last time. However, if you never hear from me again, a) I got hit by a truck b) I ran into LC and he asked me to run away to the moon with him. 8)
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Jesus, "if I never hear from you again" :? Linda, linda (of the lake 8) )

I found those two links provided by Jarkko very peculiar. A minuet ago there were available and I put them in favourites and linked them from my site, and now they're not there anymore, you have to be subscribed :? And they were there a minute ago :?:
tom.d.stiller

Post by tom.d.stiller »

Tom Sakic wrote:A minuet ago...
What a lovely typo.. :)
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Tom Sakic: I agree with tom d. stiller -'what a lovely typo'. Do you want to dance?

Re: the link - well, 'tis a fast paced world, I guess we better learn to move really, really fast. :roll: Sorry if you missed out.

Linda.
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Well, now that I've almost got my feet back on the ground, I will make a few comments about the Came So Far For Beauty Hal Willner concert I experienced in Sydney. I won't say too much, as I think the two preceding reviews (The Age & Sydney Morning Herald), between them, beautifully and comprehensively capture the essence of this show.

The overall experience of this show for me was that of a joyous celebration of LC's work, enhanced by the highly individual and creative interpretations of it by the wide variety of artists who performed. Each performer seemed to put their whole heart and soul into the particular rendition of the song they performed! As well as the individual interpretative and style variations, there were some wonderful collaborations, such as between Jarvis Cocker and Beth Orton. 8)

Each time when I thought that's the highlight performance of the night, another one would equal it and so on! It was like an array of sparkling gems moving past on a slow moving conveyor belt (the stage), with each new one captivating one's full attention, sparkling in its own special way and taking one's breath away until the next one came along! :D

Towards the end of the show, there was almost a party atmosphere when the stage was full of the performers and musicians and many of them were really letting their hair down and having a ball (eg. dancing around with each other)! :D

At the end of the Saturday concert I was at, there were a couple of exuberant ovations (before and after the two encores), with half the audience on their feet! I'm sure nobody wanted the show to end, even though we knew that it had to some time! :( Anyway, when everyone did have to leave, the predominant feeling seemed to be that wonderful sense of glowing elation and goodwill, accompanied by that animated buzz of stimulated beings who were now of one accord! :D (You could say it was almost like a religious experience for some! :wink:)

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Andrew(Darby)

Very nice reliving of the events! It's always so much nicer (for me) to hear it from someone who was there and is also part of this Forum. I like your comment re: jewels on a conveyor belt! Australian Opals, perhaps?

Thanks for bringing it to life for me. And everyone else, too (but I always think 'me' first. Very bad habit.) :wink:

Linda
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What splendid comments in this second review ~ the last lines of quoting, such a coup this reviewer made with them.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Just read yours, Andrew ~ great! SO glad you got to see it. Hmm, might I know one of those for whom it was alike a religious experience :wink: ? Great description of the gems moving slowly by on a conveyor belt ~ and I'd have loved to see them dancing about with each other. I can so easily imagine Perla and Julie doing it. Thanks for your account, Andrew!
Bobbie

Post by Bobbie »

As for Nick Cave... try to cut him some slack... maybe he needs the words written down because "everybody knows" he fried his brain with too many drugs in years past. Maybe he has stage fright and needs the confidence... maybe he has memory problems and needs the words written down no matter what, even for his own songs... whatever... there could be all sorts of reasons. Somehow, I don't get the feeling that it's due to a lack of respect or an unwillingness to learn. How many of us here could sing any of Leonard's songs word for word, no hesitation, no having to think, no stumbling? He was great at the Brooklyn tribute, full of energy and was clearly enjoying himself. Much to my amazement, I was lucky enough to spend a few minutes talking to him while I was standing in line waiting for beer... very nice, approachable guy. (And besides... Leonard once forgot the words to Suzanne while doing a concert and had to ask the audience to help him... made a new song of it right then and there... "I'm The Man Who Wrote Suzanne.") Have you guys listened to it from the list of ~greg's mp3's?

I'm glad to hear it was such a great show in Australia... I hope there will be many more peformances around the globe before the show closes. (LA would be great!!) The Brooklyn tribute was fabulous, a wonderful night under the stars in a front row seat. I loved The Handsome Family.. went home and bought several of their cds over a few weeks time, every one of them worth it. It's easy, as raw as they are, to see their attraction to Leonard's music.

Return to “News”