Leonard's tombstone

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Mary72

Leonard's tombstone

Post by Mary72 »

I am posting straight from facebook, Leonard's tombstone has just been erected.
Today it's his yarhzeit, first year of his passing according to jewish tradition, who is ruled by the moon and not the sun. Today is the day.

Photo by Chantal Ringuet

HugoD

Re: Leonard's tombstone

Post by HugoD »

Thanks for sharing, looks beautiful.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Thank you for posting a photograph.
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Judy

Post by Judy »

Thank you Mary
Mary72

Post by Mary72 »

I am somehow delighted to see the Unified Heart craved in the tombstone, I wasn't expecting such. It's full acceptance of a symbol that will always be, for me, the symbol of the Prophet of the Heart. And what was his perfect offering to us, becomes the perfect offering from us to his blessed memory and spirit.
Thank you Judy, Hugo and Maarten for your comments.
vickiwoodyard

Post by vickiwoodyard »

So moving, so deeply moving. He will never leave us. His music sustains us.
rike

Post by rike »

Thank you for posting this.
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

I'm deeply moved at seeing this today. I find it hugely significant that the unified heart symbol was the one of choice. I hope it was Leonard's choice. I can imagine it bringing comfort to many.
I love how yarhzeit goes by the moon cycle. This is something I must read up on because I am drawn towards our celestial object.
Thank you Maria for sharing this occasion with us.

I can't be in Montreal, but you will all be in my thoughts.
Last edited by musicmania on Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
B4real

Post by B4real »

Mary, Thank you for posting the photo.

I’ve tried not to comment on this but one simply cannot go through life with your head in the sand! I am doubly sad at this time of the year because my mother died on Halloween evening at 7pm, exactly 7 days before Leonard died. Lots of 7’s in LC’s inscription too. Seeing this photo finally makes his passing B4real! And yes, I love that the unified heart symbol is displayed on the headstone! So perfectly fitting! I also love that the moon is the guiding light here because my birthstone is moonstone.

One thing keeps hitting me in my (artist’s) eye though is the different angles of perspective between the headstone in the background and that of the stone in the foreground. I would have thought both would have parallel perspective sight lines. Maybe it’s just the camera shot angle or perhaps there is another reason for it. Not important in the grand scheme of things - just a passing observation.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

Thank you Mary 72 , this is the REAL news here now!
Last edited by Athnuachan on Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ring the bells that still can ring...
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

B4real wrote:
One thing keeps hitting me in my (artist’s) eye though is the different angles of perspective between the headstone in the background and that of the stone in the foreground. I would have thought both would have parallel perspective sight lines.
Yes Mary, I noticed this too.
But then, as we know, there is a crack in everything !!

So perhaps it is appropriate.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

B4real wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:34 am One thing keeps hitting me in my (artist’s) eye though is the different angles of perspective between the headstone in the background and that of the stone in the foreground. I would have thought both would have parallel perspective sight lines. Maybe it’s just the camera shot angle or perhaps there is another reason for it. Not important in the grand scheme of things - just a passing observation.
I think it must be the camera angles - though the ground will also still be settling which may make a difference. The whole cemetery is incredibly well maintained, very neat and tidy, so I doubt any discrepancy will be there for long.

I am also relieved that the Rabinowitz family stone behind Leonard's grave will no longer be defaced by over eager Cohen fans. I know from venturing this comment on Facebook a while ago that not everyone agrees with me but I found it terribly disrespectful to the other family.

Wendy
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

Mary72 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:03 pm I am posting straight from facebook, Leonard's tombstone has just been erected.
Today it's his yarhzeit, first year of his passing according to jewish tradition, who is ruled by the moon and not the sun. Today is the day.

Photo by Chantal Ringuet

Well done Mary 72.
Your post should get top priority here as it is of relevance to ALL Cohen fans.
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

I am sure this is just the unsettled earth especially as you can see some loose turf over Leonard's grave and some fresh soil either side where new graves may have been dug. This photo shows other graves in the same cemetery that are much "tidier". In the UK grave stones are usually full length slabs rather than top and tail as in Canada so they generally look neater.

https://images.findagrave.com/photos/20 ... 785017.jpg

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j ... 7834338335
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85
Mary72

Post by Mary72 »

Thank you everyone who took their time to like at my post and leave a comment.
Gwen darling, I wish I was going to Montreal, not now, but not that long anyway. It will be too overwhelming for me, I am truly happy for the ones who can make it but I would be wearing my sunglasses night and day.

B4real, I am sorry to hear about your loss, and when it happens just like that, without notice is even harder to find a way to handle with the pain and the physical absence our beloved ones.
The many 7's also have that symbolic effect on me, also because he died in a very special year for the jewish, the Year of Jubilee.
The angles of the stone has been in hot discussion on facebook, it seems to disturb a lot of people, not only the ones with artistic eyes :)
But yes, it's angles eyes, and uneven ground, the soil needs to settle and by the time I visit his grave in March, there was a huge iceberg on top of it, all that water and plus the fact that his final place is right on the beginning of a little protuberance in the ground, let's call it like that, makes the whole thing a bit strange. So clivecass, Wendy, Athnuachan you are just right, there is a crack in everything! Thanks Rike and vickiwoodyard for your comments too, I am really happy to have brought some solace, peace, some for real moment too, but love for sure. Can't wait to hear from all of you in Montreal this week, like Leonard used to say, Let's do it Friends! Many thanks to everyone again Xx

Return to “News”