Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Rain

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Post by Rain »

I have not posted for a long time and this will be my last. I can't even begin to say how I feel. I don't KNOW how to feel, because whenever I felt sad before, I could comfort myself by listening to Leonard. Now what do I do? It will be a long time before I can hear that voice again without an agonizing ache in my throat. My greatest regret is that I discovered him late in his life. I missed all his wonderful younger years because I simply didn't exist yet. There is a poem somewhere that has a line "...too late in the wrong rain...." That describes me--I missed it. I am grateful that I got to see Cohen in concert 2 times.....but it still wasn't nearly enough.

To Adam and Lorca, I'm sure you will do this anyway, but please tell your children over and over how great their grandfather was.....I'm sure they already know that.

My sincere sorrow, prayers and condolences to the family.
Pomona

Post by Pomona »

Our treasured Leonard tried to prepare us (and bring us comfort) for this eventuality:

... but you'll be hearin' from me, Darlin', long after I'm gone. I'll be speakin' to you sweetly from my window in the tower of song.

It won't stop our tears, but it's something.
May 4 1985 Berklee Boston / Feb 19 2009 Beacon NYC / May 29 2009 Wang Boston / June 4 2009 Red Rocks / Dec 15 2012 Wang Boston
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Tremendous coverage in the Montreal Gazette:

http://montrealgazette.com/entertainmen ... dead-at-82
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Galway

Post by Galway »

Sincere Sympathy to Leonard's family, friends and fans. The world is a poorer place for his passing. Rest in Peace Leonard. Thank you.
Dasia

Post by Dasia »

I bought tickets for Leonard’s concert on June 6, 2008 in Toronto as soon as they were released. Life happened, and we had to hold my father’s memorial service on June 8. When Leonard sang, “Everybody got this broken feeling. Like their father or their dog just died...” my daughter slipped her hand into mine. She knew listening to Leonard had helped get me through caring for my parents in their protracted final illnesses.

To Leonard’s family, like all of us you have the music to soothe and guide you in the future; I hope you find comfort in it, in your memories of life with your dear Leonard, and in knowing that your sorrow is shared by so many.

My condolences, too, to Jarkko and associates, with thanks for maintaining this site where today we hold hands digitally and ease our broken feeling.
Boss

Post by Boss »

You cleared the road,

you built it

x
'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer' - Albert Camus
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

So glad my wife and I had the opportunity to talk with Leonard on a couple of occasions during the last tour, he simply proved what a gentleman he was. No long post, no cut and pasting his songs, just a rather big overall, Thank You.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Martine

Post by Martine »

Deeply sad.
donroth

Re:Leonard Cohen, a life eternal...from don, vienna, austria

Post by donroth »

from sixties listening heart and soul, 1970 sitting on stage at UCLA-Los Angeles,
all these decades singing own and your songs, deep listening, enjoying, zen mind, profound, simple too- to Vienna concerts where now living, "there's a concert hall in Vienna...take this waltz", intimately connected inside the words and songs reside, as the heart breathes you in and out always ever-present in sweet refrain like no other the silence inside radiates the higher self reflective in your grace and kindling us all with something special that lives on always, thank you so much...love from all of us
KathlynKinney

Re: Ring the Bells That Still Can Ring

Post by KathlynKinney »

I first heard of Leonard Cohen five days before I learned of his death. I was telling a friend how I believe music means finding beauty in everything that is broken in the world. She told me "you should hear this song 'Anthem'". I did, and the song haunted me. Moreover, the video, which was filmed live along with amazing footage of birds, showed flocks of flamingos flying over Lake Nakuru, a lake I've been planning to visit on a trip to Kenya this January with my wirestrung harp. I can't get over thinking that I need to play this song on the shores of this lake, in such a way that people across the world can hear it, but I don't know who to ask. Does anyone know who I might speak with about playing 'Anthem'?

Mr. Cohen seemed a true sage who was not afraid to speak the truth as he saw it. I owe him a debt for showing me a glimpse of what it means to be a real musician, and wish I had known of him earlier.

Kathlyn Kinney
Philippos

Post by Philippos »

A few weeks ago, during a cloudy morning in London (the small town in Canada), I was listening to the Live in London album, when I suddenly felt a strong impulse to write down some of my feelings and thoughts about Leonard Cohen (it was a strange emotion, as if I had a 'gut feeling' that something was going wrong these days. It was almost the first time I ever had such a sudden impulse to write thoughts down). This spontaneous writing ended up to become a short letter for him. I decided to try to mail it, so I attempted to find Leonard's address in Montreal. A few days later however, while reading the New Yorker interview, I realized that he had actually been living in L.A. lately, so I postponed any attempt to find his L.A. address for a while. But during the previous few days though, I was thinking about the letter again and again, and about possible ways to figure out whereabouts I could send it. Till yesterday, when the terrible news broke..

I could never imagine I would cry that much, about the death of a person that I had never met in person. How is it possible for music to make us relate so much to an artist? It's like I have always known him, though I didn't even ever have the chance to see him in concert (I live in Greece). What kind of mystagogy between an artist and their audience is that?

You will always be in our hearts Mr. Cohen. Exactly as your song says:
"Not for just an hour, Not for just a day, Not for just a year, but.. always!"
Nellynolan

Post by Nellynolan »

Thank you Leonard, may you rest in peace.
"Here's to the few who forgive what you do, and the fewer who don't even care"
LC
hereandnow

Post by hereandnow »

Dear Leonard!

I can't believe you're gone. A world without you is not a world to me anymore. Frankly I don't want to live in such a world. But I remember your lessons. "But I must go on". Your songs, your concerts opened a new dimension in the world for me - a more hopeful one, filled with magic and light that shines and triumphs through the darkest places and times. A dimension that gave my life meaning and hope where there was none in the rest of my life. I was lucky to be at 4 of your concerts, and each one of them was like entering another world - a better one, full of wonder and magic.

Thank you for the exquisite gift of your music, your poetry, your prose, your personality. May you be now in a place where it's much "better than before". You and your Art will always be the Light that shines in our lives. I hope we'll meet again some sunny day.

My deepest condolences to Adam, Lorca, to all of Leonard's family, to all of Leonard's collaborators, to all of Leonard's friends, to all of Leonard's fans.

With Deepest Love and Respect,
Alex.
2009 Prague
2010 Moscow
2012 Barcelona
2012 Madrid
claudia

Post by claudia »

I feel so sad today and keep listening to his songs while mourning about dear Leonard Cohen. For decades his words and music were and still are an inspiration and my home. His last album is his goodbye present, i know now...a masterpiece touching me deeply. My condolences to Adam and Lorca and their children. I so much wish you have people around to comfort you to be with you going through the pain of saying goodbye to your wonderful father. He will be in my heart always, always.
Claudia
Munich 2008, Salzburg 2010, Verona 2012, Rome 2013, Vienna 2013, Pula 2013, Amsterdam 2013
Tidou

Post by Tidou »

Dear all, dear Mary and Jarrko,

From France I heard the new : thinking how I feel is as if Leonard Cohen has sparkled all over us all, talking about him, in our heart and mine. And I think : does everybody really goes to an end ?

Hurry, lady, hurry enjoying your life ! I saw your smile tonight on TV.
It seemed to me saying : Take care of you, I love you. http://www.francetvinfo.fr/replay-jt/fr ... 20-heures/
Here tonight in Paris, we have a special thought about last year at the same hour here. Mika the singer is gonna give a big mahalo to everyone here on TV http://www.france2.fr/emission/mika-love-paris

But nevertheless : 'Time goes on, it's very calm'

Thank you so much Mr Cohen, for your waltz, for your words and warm. Thank you for everyone who loved you so much during your life. Thank you for your love and to the beautifull voices you've choosen to magnify your voice and your poetry. May they all be truly consolated : what you have done together is so great. Thank you all

I was so young when I first heard you. Time goes on.

Return to “News”