Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
linmag

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Post by linmag »

I was grieved to hear this morning of Leonard's passing. Suddenly the radio is full of tributes - too late! When we heard 'You Want It Darker' in Amsterdam a few weeks ago some of us thought it sounded like a farewell. There is no satisfaction in being proved right. I am writing this through tears as the initial shock starts to wear off. How to say goodbye to someone who has provided the soundtrack to my life for over fifty years?

I hope it's good where you have gone, Leonard. I hope the passing was easy. My heart goes out to your family at this time. Their loss is far greater than ours. May you rest in peace. Thank you.
Last edited by linmag on Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
andrea

Post by andrea »

THANK YOU LEONARD, RIP

our condolences goes to his family, Lorca, Adam , grandchildren and friends you are in our thoughts.
We all will miss him.

I am grateful and honoured to have known him, his songs and poetry...and the cohenite world around.
He has changed our lives and thanks to him ,we have so many good cohenite friends around the world.
He enriched our lives.
He will continue to be present.

Cant´s find the suitable words to express my state of feeling.....its so sad.

LOVE
Andrea and Marco
1976 june Zürich (both evenings)
2008 july london - july loerrach - july lucca - october berlin - october milan - november london
2009 july koeln - august venice - september barcelona
2010: july salzburg - september florence- - december las vegas
2012: august ghent - september berlin - verona
2013: august pula - august Zürich
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Marie
Speaking Cohen
Unifiedheart777

Post by Unifiedheart777 »

What a sad, sad day. I have just found out after a friend text me. I am broken hearted as this great man's music and words has helped me through many painful times in my life and allowed me to come through. Thanks Mr Cohen and RIP.

If it be your will....
concretesuperhero

Post by concretesuperhero »

Deepest sympathy
I celebrate the great memories and thank Leonard for his words, his music, his voice and his humour
The man who gave me the encouragement to explore my own voice.
A debt that cannot be repaid

Martin
TineDoes

Post by TineDoes »

Thank you Mr. Leonard Cohen, thank you for the thruths on love and life you gave us via your work and your being. The world is a darker place without you but all of us in it will experience love and light through what you have given us in your poetry and song. "Fare Thee Well My Nightingale" I will miss you deeply.

"The Autumn moved across your skin
Got something in my eye, a light
That doesn't need to live
And doesn't need to die
A riddle in the book of love
Obscure and obsolete
Till witnessed here in time and blood
A thousand kisses deep"

L.Cohen - A Thousand Kisses Deep
"There’s no forsaking what you love ...."

Rotterdam 2008; Antwerpen, Dublin 2009; Gent 2x, Lille , Las Vegas 2x 2010, Gent, Amsterdam, Dublin 2x 2012, Antwerp, Berlin, Rotterdam 2013
anothermarianne

Post by anothermarianne »

Leonard Cohen meant a better world and now he is gone. We thank him for all hope, wisdom and love he gave us. But left is his music and all his Words of clearness and we thank him for that.
mike.barker58

Post by mike.barker58 »

I remember picking up The Future, reading the lyrics and thinking I must buy this and from then on he had me hooked. He had a way with words, spoken and in song, which made me want to listen and understand. As with all great people, his legacy will live on .......

My condolences to all his family and friends.
jnradu

Post by jnradu »

Sincères condoléances à toute sa famille, Léonard m'a accompagné chaque jour depuis plus de 40 ans.
Merci pour toutes ces merveilles et cette extrême générosité !
"Listen to the humming bird, don't listen to me!"

Jean-Noël RADULESCO
Last edited by jnradu on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
graham.putt

Post by graham.putt »

I haven't been on here for a little while but I was grateful to have had the company of many members on a trip to Las Vegas and San Jose to see the great man a few years ago.
And I was very sad to hear of his passing, a beautiful man and a great talent, deeply missed.
If your life is a leaf that the seasons tear off and condemn
They will bind you with love that is graceful and green as a stem

Sydney Jan 09, Las Vegas Nov 09, San Jose Nov 09, Auck Oct 10, Wgtn Nov 10, Chch Nov 10, Syd Nov 10, Auck Dec 13
fentiger

Post by fentiger »

My thoughts and condolences are with Leonards family and friends.

He was simply sublime. We are blessed to have his legacy, his words, his music, his genius.

RIP Leonard.
ChristianAppelt

Post by ChristianAppelt »

OMG, sad news in the morning and even yesterday evening I suddenly felt sad and played the new album before going to sleep. Well I cannot express the grief in words now. Fly on Leonard....
Sit together with Marianne in the great Beyond and your work is so timeless that people will play your music in Hundreds of years....
From the age of Nine to now your music and poetry have accompanied my life and will do so into the future.
cariadonffol

Post by cariadonffol »

I cherish the memory of the most profound concert in Manchester, 31st August 2013. Your words and music will live on. Rest in peace.
rafikisarah10

Post by rafikisarah10 »

Thank you Leonard Cohen -for me you will always be the best. You have left an amazing legacy and I hope generations to come will discover your wonderful work - so thank you from the bottom of my heart. RIP
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

I awoke at 6.45a.m and saw the news of Leonard's death on my phone,feeling very sad at his passing but hold great memories from the seven times i was fortunate enough to see him play live ( firstly in Edinburgh in 1979 and in Manchester in 2013.
It would be great if those of us from UK ( and elsewhere in the world) on this Forum could arrange to meet and celebrate his life and work at some point in the future,i would be happy to try and arrange this should people wish

Return to “News”