Rumour (!) about a final concert

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Hartmut

Rumour (!) about a final concert

Post by Hartmut »

There's a rumour about a final Leonard Cohen concert.

Christof Graf (author of several books about Leonard Cohen), who attended the record release event at the Canadian consulate in LA, has this to say in a German language radio interview with Deutschlandradio Kultur:

"Er [Cohen] könnte sich vorstellen, auch nochmal auf der Bühne zu stehen. Wenn, dann nicht auf einer großen Tournee, aber vielleicht für ein dementsprechendes edles, großes Ereignis, vielleicht mit 'nem Orchester, vielleicht irgendwo in der Nähe von Los Angeles, in Los Angeles selbst oder in Kanada."

http://www.deutschlandradiokultur.de/le ... _id=369101

Rough translation:
"He [Cohen] could imagine being on the stage again. Not on a big tour, but perhaps for a classy, big event, perhaps with an orchestra, perhaps somewhere near Los Angeles, in Los Angeles itself, or in Canada."

I don't know whether this information is accurate or whether it is based on a misunderstanding or an exaggeration. (And I'm a bit sceptical.) But I felt it was my duty to report this to everybody here who doesn't have the habit of listening to German radio stations. (It wasn't me, by the way, who originally discovered this radio interview.)

Addendum:
It is possible that Mr. Graf was just paraphrasing something that was written in the famous "New Yorker" article:
"friends and musical associates say they’d be surprised to see him onstage again except in a limited way: a single performance, perhaps, or a short residency at one venue"
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/ ... -it-darker
Last edited by Hartmut on Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bennyboy

Re: Rumour (!) about a final concert

Post by Bennyboy »

Well, if it doesn't happen then the last live 'performance' in public will have been his recital of the litte Hummingbird poem at the press conference.
icecreamtruck

Post by icecreamtruck »

Very sad the last few days. It has all hit me like it's new. I can't sleep and I keep searching and searching the internet for insight or anything I don't know.

I remember this thread from when it was first posted. It just seems cruel how wrong this rumour was, by no fault of the original poster. He wasn't even alive anymore.

I guess it's no use dwelling on it. I just find myself reaching for a moment that I once lived and now eternally distant.
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

icecreamtruck wrote:It just seems cruel how wrong this rumour was,
Yes.
icecreamtruck

Post by icecreamtruck »

Anyway, I could hug you Hartmut. Thank you for replying. Death is old but it's always new.
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Thanks. - That's an unexpected reward for the bearer of a cruel rumour ...
icecreamtruck

Post by icecreamtruck »

Well, you're kind to see any uninvited hug in a positive light. I'm not a hugger but I was overcome.

This rumour was not cruel...in fact, it was so hopeful and optimistic. It was also suitably cautious. In 2014 Leonard spoke positively of hoping to tour again.

It wasn't a cruel rumour. The rumour was all hope.
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

icecreamtruck wrote:Well, you're kind to see any uninvited hug in a positive light. I'm not a hugger
I'm not much of one either, actually; at least most of the time. But one does make exceptions, doesn't one? And a fellow Cohen admirer in an emotional situation is a good reason for an exception.
icecreamtruck wrote:In 2014 Leonard spoke positively of hoping to tour again.
He did? I don't really remember that ...

But then again: If you remember 2014, you weren’t really there.
Deena

Post by Deena »

Hi,
I'm a "fellow Cohen admirer in an emotional situation" too - can I join in the hugging? I've been feeling so sad and just mooching through the forum for some solace. Your exchange made me smile.
icecreamtruck

Post by icecreamtruck »

Absolutely, Deena. Here you go. Thank you too.
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Deena wrote:Your exchange made me smile.
Glad to hear that!

Return to “News”