Bob Dylan Awarded Nobel Prize for Literature 2016

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
MarieM

Bob Dylan Awarded Nobel Prize for Literature 2016

Post by MarieM »

BREAKING NEWS

The 2016 ‪Nobel Prize‬ in Literature is awarded to
Bob Dylan
“for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition”.

Prize motivation in Swedish:
”som skapat nya poetiska uttryck inom den stora amerikanska sångtraditionen”.

Born: May 24, 1941 in Duluth, Minnesota, USA

Press release: goo.gl/xgiAKO
Biobibliographical notes in English: goo.gl/CXyTDt
Biobibliographical notes in Swedish: goo.gl/CXhZrj
Press material in French, German and Spanish will be available later this afternoon.

Biobibliographical notes

Bob Dylan was born on May 24, 1941 in Duluth, Minnesota. He grew up in a Jewish middle-class family in the city of Hibbing. As a teenager he played in various bands and with time his interest in music deepened, with a particular passion for American folk music and blues. One of his idols was the folk singer Woody Guthrie. He was also influenced by the early authors of the Beat Generation, as well as by modernist poets.

Dylan moved to New York in 1961 and began to perform in clubs and cafés in Greenwich Village. He met the record producer John Hammond with whom he signed a contract for his debut album, called Bob Dylan (1962). In the following years he recorded a number of albums which have had a tremendous impact on popular music: Bringing It All Back Home and High-way 61 Revisited in 1965, Blonde On Blonde in 1966 and Blood On The Tracks in 1975. His productivity continued in the following decades, resulting in masterpieces like Oh Mercy (1989), Time Out Of Mind (1997) and Modern Times (2006).

Dylan’s tours in 1965 and 1966 attracted a lot of attention. For a period he was accompa-nied by film maker D. A. Pennebaker, who documented life around the stage in what would come to be the movie Dont Look Back (1967). Dylan has recorded a large number of albums revolving around topics like the social conditions of man, religion, politics and love. The lyrics have continuously been published in new editions, under the title Lyrics. As an artist, he is strikingly versatile; he has been active as painter, actor and scriptwriter.

Besides his large production of albums, Dylan has published experimental work like Taran-tula (1971) and the collection Writings and Drawings (1973). He has written the autobiog-raphy Chronicles (2004), which depicts memories from the early years in New York and which provides glimpses of his life at the center of popular culture. Since the late 1980s, Bob Dylan has toured persistently, an undertaking called the “Never-Ending Tour”. Dylan has the status of an icon. His influence on contemporary music is profound, and he is the object of a steady stream of secondary literature.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Bob Dylan Awarded Nobel Prize for Literature 2016

Post by jarkko »

Tremendous news! I know that Dylan has been listed as one of the candidates for many many years, and finally the Nobel committee has recognized also the rock poetry and song writing!

Update: I have merged several threads into this one, and moved it to News. No need to discuss Dylan's achievement in four Forum sections at the same time.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Palamabron

Nobel Laureate

Post by Palamabron »

I see they have given Bob Dylan the Nobel Prize - in my humble opinion they gave it to the wrong man.
Squidgy

The Bobster Wins Nobel for Literature

Post by Squidgy »

Dylan has won the Nobel Prize for literature!
Comments?
Squidgy

Re: Nobel Laureate

Post by Squidgy »

Well here's what I have to say about that
(and here I shall affect my best impression of a Dylan-esque, nasal whine):
"Well maybe it turns out bein' a wise guy pays off after all."

FWIW, I started a thread in Other Music.
Or maybe it belongs in Poetry.
Hartmut

This is why Dylan will be awarded the Nobel Literature Prize

Post by Hartmut »

This is why Bob Dylan will be awarded the Nobel Literature Prize:

Wiggle wiggle like a bowl of soup / Wiggle wiggle like a rolling hoop

All the tired horses in the sun / How’m I supposed to get any ridin’ done? Hmm.

„Depart from me this moment,“ I told her with my voice.

And when I was through / I filled up my shoe / And brought it to you

Buckets of Rain, buckets of tears, got all them buckets coming out of my ears.

And I answer to her most mysteriously: Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?
Squidgy

Post by Squidgy »

Palamabron wrote:I see they have given Bob Dylan the Nobel Prize - in my humble opinion they gave it to the wrong man.
Monica Lewinsky has, in her Twitter account, conveyed her congrats to #BobDylan, with the comment "#LeonardCohen's next."
Somehow I think Leonard would find that encouraging.
Kush

Re: The Bobster Wins Nobel for Literature

Post by Kush »

Don't think twice, Squidgy. It's alright.

Congratulations to His Bobness.
Hartmut

And this is why Leonard Cohen will be awarded the Nobel Literature Prize as well

Post by Hartmut »

And this is why Leonard Cohen will be awarded the Nobel Literature Prize as well:

I've heard there was a secret chord / That David played, and it pleased the Lord / But you don't really care for music, do ya?

And the sun pours down like honey / On our lady of the harbor

Lift me like an olive branch and be my homeward dove / Dance me to the end of love

It's hard to hold the hand of anyone who is reaching for the sky just to surrender

There is a crack in everything / That's how the light gets in.

Here's to the few who forgive what you do, and the fewer who don't even care

I smile when I am angry / I cheat and I lie / I do what I have to do / to get by,

O troubled dust concealing / An undivided love / The Heart beneath is teaching/To the broken Heart above

Myself I long for love and light / but must it come so cruel, and oh so bright?
Karren B
Location: At the Cottage in the Village by the River near the Castle.

Re: The Bobster Wins Nobel for Literature

Post by Karren B »

'Take the breath of a new dawn
And make it a part of you.
It will give you strength'
harald

Post by harald »

Why Bob Dylan?
Dylan is a great musician and songwriter.
But this is the Nobel Prize for Literature.
Are Dylan´s lyrics as good, as sophisticated, as wise as Cohen´s?
Has he done several books of poetry? Did he write two novels?
Why Bob Dylan and not Leonard Cohen?
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
BlizzardofIce

Re: And this is why Leonard Cohen will be awarded the Nobel Literature Prize as well

Post by BlizzardofIce »

I'm so happy for Bob today, so incredibly well deserved.
But this also means that there is no way Lc is ever getting it.

The prize can not be given post mortem, and there is no way that the Nobel will be awarded twice in a few years to a musician. Absolutely no way. It took 50 years for Bob to get it. I'm pretty sure another 50 years will pass before it will happen again, if ever.

Anyway... What a big recognition to all poetry in music. Literature at its highest form.
There are many ways a man can serve his time
harald

Post by harald »

... and to my opinion there is virtually no chance for another Nobel Prize for Literature to a singer for the next twenty years, no chance for Leonard Cohen so.
Would leave the Nobel for Peace ...
Good that neither Leonard Cohen nor his fans are eager for prizes. We don´t need them.
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Great news , and as the first songwriter to get the literature award, setting a precedent.

Of course leonard also deserves this ,but shouldn't take away from
Dylan's achievement.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Kush

Post by Kush »

Great news , and as the first songwriter to get the literature award, setting a precedent.

Well, technically he is the second songwriter to win the Nobel, Rabindranath Tagore is the first. From wikileaks...sorry, wikipedia.

Tagore was a prolific composer, with 2,230 songs to his credit. His songs are known as rabindrasangit ("Tagore Song"), which merges fluidly into his literature, most of which—poems or parts of novels, stories, or plays alike—were lyricised. Influenced by the thumri style of Hindustani music, they ran the entire gamut of human emotion, ranging from his early dirge-like Brahmo devotional hymns to quasi-erotic compositions.[97] They emulated the tonal colour of classical ragas to varying extents. Some songs mimicked a given raga's melody and rhythm faithfully; others newly blended elements of different ragas.[98] Yet about nine-tenths of his work was not bhanga gaan, the body of tunes revamped with "fresh value" from select Western, Hindustani, Bengali folk and other regional flavours "external" to Tagore's own ancestral culture.[27] Scholars have attempted to gauge the emotive force and range of Hindustani ragas:

But this thread is about Bob Dylan's Nobel Prize and yes very well deserved I'd say.

Return to “News”