New Album announced: 'You Want It Darker'

Leonard Cohen's last studio album (2016)
MarieM

Re: New Album announced: 'You Want It Darker'

Post by MarieM »

Read the story of YOU WANT IT DARKER primarily told by Adam Cohen. (Not for the faint of heart.)

http://www.macleans.ca/culture/arts/the ... ard-cohen/
Marie
Speaking Cohen
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks so much for posting that Marie!

You are right about its contents....my heart was in my mouth on a few occasions!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Yes, it is a must to read; this interview/article explains many of the issues discussed on this Forum previously.
Thanks Marie!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
yopietro

Post by yopietro »

This article is sad, profound, and inspiring. And deepens the context of this upcoming album, which sounds like a masterwork. My heart is hurting a little bit though.
Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

yopietro wrote:This article is sad, profound, and inspiring. And deepens the context of this upcoming album, which sounds like a masterwork. My heart is hurting a little bit though.
Couldn't have said it any better.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

MarieM wrote:Read the story of YOU WANT IT DARKER primarily told by Adam Cohen. (Not for the faint of heart.)

http://www.macleans.ca/culture/arts/the ... ard-cohen/

Yes thanks for this .As you say , likely to produce a complex emotional response, perhaps rooted in empathy , for we Leonard fans . An essential read though.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
cillanridire

Post by cillanridire »

Welcome news and a Happy Birthday to Leonard. Hopefully there'll be another tour.
lightning

Post by lightning »

Thanks Marie. Most revealing and comprehensive article about the new album I've read so far.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Indeed a must read... Touching and profound...

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
shooting_star_88

Post by shooting_star_88 »

Just read the article.

Yes, looks like the twilight days.

& the traveling days look to be behind.
with the Sublime Sisters of Mercy
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Thank you, Marie.

It is a very insightful and well-written article. Like all of us who had the great honor of listening to the album in Amsterdam, I can hardly wait to hear it all again.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

cillanridire wrote:Welcome news and a Happy Birthday to Leonard. Hopefully there'll be another tour.
I realise this is your first post but did you read the piece properly? There can't be another tour, LC at 82 with ailments that 82 year olds (and younger) get could not in any way sustain good health long enough for a tour to happen.

I remember some people said how good he looked at the end of the last tour, I did not agree, he looked quite drawn and just because on occasion he would "skip" off stage never meant he was fit for another tour, I suggest that if you haven't bought any of the live DVD's, then that is your best bet now to see LC in concert.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Vicomte wrote:
cillanridire wrote:Welcome news and a Happy Birthday to Leonard. Hopefully there'll be another tour.
I realise this is your first post but did you read the piece properly? There can't be another tour, LC at 82 with ailments that 82 year olds (and younger) get could not in any way sustain good health long enough for a tour to happen.

I remember some people said how good he looked at the end of the last tour, I did not agree, he looked quite drawn and just because on occasion he would "skip" off stage never meant he was fit for another tour, I suggest that if you haven't bought any of the live DVD's, then that is your best bet now to see LC in concert.
The new health report of a chronic and debilitating, but thankfully not life threatening , condition do indeed put an end to hopes of new concerts , but certainly not an end to hopes of great new works for some time to come .
In 2013 from what I could see he had amazing physical stamina. and absolutely no sign of major musculo- skeletal problems , given all the standing , kneeling , dancing and skipping right up to the final concert . We know back problems in 2012 led to a big delay in the 2012 tour starting , but that seemed an acute problem from which he apparently recovered followed by 16 months of touring with few breaks.I assume the more chronic problems have developed since then.

I know live versions of songs from PP and you want it darker would have been fantastic ,as were the live versions of old ideas songs, but sadly we will never hear them as variants from the fantastic recordings.

So - final moments on stage :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rWYptAze50
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
gallina

Post by gallina »

"We know back problems in 2012 led to a big delay in the 2012 tour starting " - it was 2010.
2009 Budapest
2010 Zagreb, Gothenburg, Florence, St. Margarethen, Bratislava, Las Vegas x2

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2012 Ghent x5, Helsinki, Dublin x2, Verona
2013 Roma, Lucca, Vienna, London
2015 Viladrau
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

cohenadmirer wrote:In 2013 from what I could see he had amazing physical stamina. and absolutely no sign of major musculo- skeletal problems , given all the standing , kneeling , dancing and skipping right up to the final concert .
Leonard suffered back problems early on in 2013 and really struggled at times to the extent that band members and others were concerned about him, though I believe things improved for him as the year went on.

Wendy

Return to “You Want It Darker”