Suzanne Elrod

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
ChristineH

Suzanne Elrod

Post by ChristineH »

Is it just me, or did it seem like she always seemed to have an angry expression on her face? It just seemed like she would beat the crap of any female that would approach him. Was she ever jealous of Leonard's fame and the female attention he garnered from it? Was she insecure? I'm guessing that's why they split. :?:
Geoffrey

Re: Suzanne Elrod

Post by Geoffrey »

ChristineH wrote:Is it just me, or did it seem like she always seemed to have an angry expression on her face? It just seemed like she would beat the crap of any female that would approach him. Was she ever jealous of Leonard's fame and the female attention he garnered from it? Was she insecure? I'm guessing that's why they split. :?:
good question. photographs often give the false impression that the sun is continually shining with everyone happy and smiling. the images of suzanne i have seen show an attractive lady who's expression doesn't seem particularly one of anger. most people can be a little apprehensive concerning admirers of their partner, unless there is no love in the relationship. i don't know why they split; perhaps she couldn't stand him snoring all night.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

No offence, ChristineH, but since you presumably do not personally know either Mr. Cohen nor Ms. Elrod, to hazard a guess as to why their relationship ended is rather presumptuous, not to mention absurd. Human relationships, particularly the very close ones between lovers, are often rather enigmatic entities, with the unique complexities of both individuals creating myriad factors that can affect the relationship one way or another. Often the two parties involved cannot entirely understand nor explain why things work out or fail to work out between them. Thus, believing that you or anyone else who is a far-removed external observer having seen a few photographs and probably read a few things about the public persona of Leonard Cohen, are justified in drawing any conclusions about their relationship, is a complete mystery to me.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Hi ChristineH,

There have been a few comments made about Suzanne seeming never to smile in photos taken of her.
I can't speculate why this is. But from what I have read in LC biographies that theirs was a complicated and possibly tumultuous relationship.

If you have not read any books on Leonard I suggest Various Positions by Ira Nadel and I'm your Man by Sylvie Simmons.These books offer interesting information about Leonard and his life. They are both good reads.

I was a bit disappointed about the recounting of Leonard and Suzanne's relationship in I'm Your Man. This has nothing to do with the quality of Sylvie's writing but reportedly that right before publishing Suzanne rescinded a lot of what she previously said. This is very apparent to me because it made their relationship seem very benign.

Take care,

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
ChristineH

Post by ChristineH »

LisaLCFan wrote:No offence, ChristineH, but since you presumably do not personally know either Mr. Cohen nor Ms. Elrod, to hazard a guess as to why their relationship ended is rather presumptuous, not to mention absurd. Human relationships, particularly the very close ones between lovers, are often rather enigmatic entities, with the unique complexities of both individuals creating myriad factors that can affect the relationship one way or another. Often the two parties involved cannot entirely understand nor explain why things work out or fail to work out between them. Thus, believing that you or anyone else who is a far-removed external observer having seen a few photographs and probably read a few things about the public persona of Leonard Cohen, are justified in drawing any conclusions about their relationship, is a complete mystery to me.
Sorry, Lisa, it was simply an observation; nothing more. I wasn't trying to stir the pot, as some may say.
There was no need for you to bite my head off.

Why is there so much anger/hostility on this site? I wouldn't think Leonard would want his fans to snap at each other. I tried to post a few, but it seemed like my input wasn't welcomed much at all. :(
Karren B
Location: At the Cottage in the Village by the River near the Castle.

Post by Karren B »

ChristineH wrote
Why is there so much anger/hostility on this site? I wouldn't think Leonard would want his fans to snap at each other. I tried to post a few, but it seemed like my input wasn't welcomed much at all. :(
Hi Christine
Your input is always welcome here, as is everyone else's. We don't all bite but some can give a nasty nip! :lol:

You had a valid observation and as Geoffrey said some photos can give a false impression. Some photographers want you to get the wrong impression (I think they get paid more for those sort of pictures). I think the best sort of photos are those ones that are not staged or covertly obtained, but those personal ones that are taken by family or friends in relaxed settings where everyone can be themselves not what people expect them to be!...

I hope you keep posting on the forum, just remember not to take things personally and have fun... If you have an opinion then give it! You will never be able to please everyone, but I think that's the whole point of having an opinion; it would be very boring if we all thought the same! :D

Karren B
xx
'Take the breath of a new dawn
And make it a part of you.
It will give you strength'
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

ChristineH wrote:...Sorry, Lisa, it was simply an observation; nothing more. I wasn't trying to stir the pot, as some may say.
There was no need for you to bite my head off...
My intention was not to "bite your head off", but to make what I thought were valid observations about the complexities of human relationships and the irrational nature of third-party speculation regarding those relationships (all of which I believe was quite clear in what I wrote).

However, since you interpreted my remarks as an angry and hostile personal attack against yourself, I apologise.
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

"I guess that is why they split" is the sentence that irritates. I'd hate strangers to guess anything about the failure of any of my relationships.

Leonard lives very much for the present day, and I doubt any woman could pin him down permanently in a conventional relationship. But their parting must have been amicable, as he let her live in his house on Hydra for many many years.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hydriot wrote:Leonard . . . let her live in his house on Hydra for many many years.
well, you make leonard sound like the superior partner here. if i may be allowed to talk generally for a moment: it may be that a common-law wife has certain rights, and can't just be cast aside if the couple cease their relationship, especially if she has bore him children. people naturally have pride, and i can't imagine anyone enjoying living in an ex-lover's house, accepting charity and being at the owner's mercy, unless they felt entitled to do so.
dar

Post by dar »

Here's my guess, young Leonard finally split because he loved the women he was involved with too much to expose them to his neuroses and his numerous affairs with art. My next guess is that his older years have been much more fulfilling with women and his family. The ego begins to dissolve as the body breaks down and you don't have to struggle to keep it in check. Women leave, friends leave, but when the ego leaves you are finally forced to face the real deal. You really do go for nothing when you go that far.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

dar wrote:Here's my guess, young Leonard finally split because he loved the women he was involved with too much to expose them to his neuroses and his numerous affairs with art. My next guess is that his older years have been much more fulfilling with women and his family. The ego begins to dissolve as the body breaks down and you don't have to struggle to keep it in check. Women leave, friends leave, but when the ego leaves you are finally forced to face the real deal. You really do go for nothing when you go that far.
well, freud claimed that ego and consciousness were synonymous, as long as one thinks, one has an ego, thought being a substitute for action - but this could descend into an endlessly complicated psychological discussion bearing little fruit. if we accept the principle of 'occam's razer' ('the simplest answer is usually the right one') the most likely thing that happened with leonard and suzanne was that nothing happened. they were apart doing their own things, and it just went on from there.

Return to “Comments & Questions”