Leonard in the Aussie limelight

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Andrew (Darby)

Leonard in the Aussie limelight

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

No doubt about it, with the Sydney Hal Willner tribute concert getting closer, Leonard is having his small moment of glory in our media. The Weekend Australian 'Review' newspaper featured him on yesterday's front cover. It had a great full page photo (which I hadn't seen before) of Leonard licking an addressed envelope with the accompanying text: "From Leonard with love... A celebration of the songwriter's songwriter"! :D

The article inside was spread across two pages with the bold red text across the top reading "Reasons to be cheerful". Written by Iain Shedden, it pays tribute to Leonard in a very worthy fashion as well as focusing on the upcoming concert, Hal Willner and the artsists involved in this. There is also a list of Aussie cover versions of LC's songs.

What was refreshing about this article was the basic proposition that LC's music isn't really depressing, with the suggestion that it is quite superficially appreciated and not really given a fair go. 8)

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Andrew ~

Is there anyone who could scan the article [or even transcribe it] for here, so we can read it?

Thanks.

~ Lizzy
koerbin

Article in Weekend Australia

Post by koerbin »

The Weekend Australian article is currently available online at
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/co ... 47,00.html
regards
Paul
Paul Koerbin
Canberra
Australia
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

But no picture Andrew described? It sounds excellent, is it recent pic, Andrew?
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Tom
It looks like a recent photo - he appears the same as he does in the Dear Heather photo, with that particular hat of his. 8)

Lizzy
Assuming you can now access the article, do you still want me to scan it? Should I try scanning that photo? (Though I'm just not sure how copyrights apply in this regard.)

Andrew (Darby)
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Andrew ~

If you wouldn't mind, I know I'd sure appreciate your scanning the article. I just tried to get to it with the link and got the message, "Service Unavailable." It then suggested that I try again later. However, since the above message says it's "currently available online," my concern is with the "currently." As more and new members come to this thread, it may later be totally unavailable. It would be nice to simply have it here. Can you scan the photo and put beneath it who took it? I don't know on that, maybe Jarkko would have a better idea, but it seems that as long as you gave credit where credit is due? But, I could be totally wrong on that.

Thanks for asking.

~ Lizzy
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Maybe you could scan the picture... :lol: And saw who's credited as the photographer also 8)

Also, I agree with lizytysh about the possible unavailability in the future - the scan would be preserved if you send it over to Marie for her Speaking Cohen archive.
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Lizzy & Tom

I'll see about getting a scan of the article, including that particular photo (which I realsise may not be the same as the Dear Heather ones, as LC doesn't have a beard in it).

Andrew (Darby)
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Isobel

Post by Isobel »

Thank you Andrew for the news from Australia. My trip to Australia last year fell through at the last second. Perhaps this year though. Hope you enjoy the upcoming concert.
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi Isobel

Yes, the concert is certainly looming large in my mind (with great expectations and excitement)! :D

I'm sorry your trip fell through, but hopefully you will make it 'down under' this year. If you plan it for September, you can come to our LC birthday event 8) - we're still waiting for our first overseas guest! :wink:

Andrew (Darby)
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
bee

Post by bee »

hi, i am in australia right now, the city adealide, I was in Sydney on January 7 till january 14, there was no sound or news on LC, I was loooking everywhere i could. than last week in Melbourn i heard on the radio Leonard's song- "in my secret life", but just the end of it.
the internet in australia sucks, the servers are awful, only the people having macintosh are ok with the internet. I can't wait getting back to USA to normal life. the cangoroos look like big rats with hads of rabbits, justr awful. a pack of cigarettes in australia costs $10.5. i hate it. the food is ok, but even the young people are dressed here like in late 80th or early 90th, no sense of fashion whatsoever.
The opals are gorgeous, jewerly and such, gold and pearls-very nice. can't write much, the computer use is limited here.
oh, australia. now I know
bee
witty_owl

Post by witty_owl »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Now ya know! :roll:

Right at this moment there are kangaroos just beyond my back fence.
I do not smoke cigarettes.
Nor am I a dedicated follower of fashion.
Opal is merely fossilised silicates that refract light.
Right now I am only an hours drive from Adelaide. Needless to say I am not feeling inclined to pick up my car keys.
Have a nice journey home and enjoy the rest of your normal life. 8)

the aussie owl
tom.d.stiller

Post by tom.d.stiller »

bee wrote:...but even the young people are dressed here like in late 80th or early 90th, no sense of fashion whatsoever.
Oh bee...

Fashion, according to the American Heritage Dictionary is " The prevailing style or custom, as in dress or behavior". So just take it that what you consider "like in late 80th or early 90th" is fashion there. I can imagine the Aussies you're looking down as having "no sense of fashion whatsoever" talking behind your back:

"Look at that relicate! What a bum! I'd be ashamed to run around like that."

But most probably they'll know better than you.

They'll simply recognize you as what you are.

Tom
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Boys! Boys!

Bee is riffing. Relax.
dar

Post by dar »

I live the Southwestern US, Arizona. I just want the Aussie's to know that I don't give a damn about this fashion business sisters; I would be happy to share whatever is on the barbie, and I think kangaroo's are ok. I would love to visit down under and hope to be able to someday!

And, by the way, I grew up in Chicago and have lived on both sides of the fence. Outback, wayback, and back alley. I hope that when I can finally afford to travel I will enjoy the differences in cultures, climate, cuisine, clothes, customs, and kangaroos!

Return to “News”