Leonard Cohen: 10 of the best

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Born With The Gift Of A G

Leonard Cohen: 10 of the best

Postby Born With The Gift Of A G » Wed May 06, 2015 6:44 pm

"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
alb123

Re: Leonard Cohen: 10 of the best

Postby alb123 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:03 pm

Hmmm... Top 10 lists can sometimes be interesting. For the most part, they're boring when music journalists release them. But, that's just MY opinion, just like a Top 10 list is someone else's opinion.

I think his list is fine. Including 'Almost Like The Blues' as #10 was a bold move. Bold moves stir conversation and I think that's great. To me, that is what Top 10 lists should do. They should get us talking, discussing and debating the tracks mentioned. Having said all of that, I am now going to say something that will probably tick off a lot of people. Suzanne is not Leonard Cohen's best song. I definitely would not include it in my Top 5 list either - maybe Top 10, but I'd really have to think about it. I'm not saying that Suzanne is a bad song. I don't think that at all. In fact, I think Suzanne is a beautiful song that any songwriter would be proud to have written. Among Cohen's catalog, it just doesn't quite shine as brightly as many people claim. Maybe it does...to them. Or, maybe it's just the easy way out?

Does anyone else agree with me about Suzanne? Or Top 10 lists, in general?
Waterbury, CT - May 14, 2009
Las Vegas, NV - Dec 11, 2010 (Final Show of Leonard's 3 year World Tour) INCREDIBLE!
Boston, MA - Dec 15, 2012 (Best L.C. concert I've been to!)
Goldin

Postby Goldin » Fri May 08, 2015 12:20 am

I agree with that, Chris.
At least for me, Suzanne isn't "so personal, that it becomes universal" (interesting formula, isn't it?). I hardly can imagine this particular song changing one's life, way of thinking etc. It sounds more like a poetic arabesque.
Roman aka Hermitage Prisoner
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sat May 09, 2015 6:43 am

It sure changed mine, Roman! It's what first drove me onto my Leonard path in life. Had I not heard another song off that album, I'd still be here because of that one. It's also resonated conceptually in numerous ways over these many years.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Sat May 09, 2015 4:44 pm

The first quintessential Leonard Cohen song for me was Dance me to the End of Love. I entered in a trance each time I was listening to it. Now this energy is evaporated. It rests Leonard Cohen in everything.

Regarding the song Suzanne, the first version feels like his first novels. In the early performance there is a sensation of a journey from coarse material to the most refined that can be in this world, and it gives the intuition of something like a passage to another state of living more subtil and incomprehensible until you are there. In this regard, the silence at the end is part of the song as much as the music. You find yourself lifted (taken by the hand, litteraly) to that special space, an experience that gives you a hint. Awe. Of what life can also be.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun May 10, 2015 12:58 am

Beautifully written and eloquently expressed, Tchoc.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
rmorgan

Postby rmorgan » Thu May 14, 2015 4:49 pm

I would have dropped The Future and Almost Like the Blues (much as I love them, of course), for Anthem and Alexandra Leaving. That's the problem with top tens when it could be top .. thirty, at least! But if the question were, if you only had 10 LC songs on your desert island .... well, those two would need to be there. (Or maybe Democracy instead of Anthem, because it lasts longer ... :D ).

As for Suzanne .. those of us who heard it soon after its entry upon the world might tend to think of it differently. It was for many, I think, THE portal to this strange new world of Leonard Cohen. The doorway to the SpiceBox of Earth. The companion to the Favourite Game and the narrow way towards Beautiful Losers. The handmaiden for the journey into the first three albums, the Sisters of Mercy, the Winter Lady, the Avalanche, Nancy, Jane and Joan of Arc. The reason for picking up an acoustic guitar for the first time and learning the basic chords with the LC Songbook.

I'm never sure if I heard Suzanne first in Leonard's voice or from Judy Collins. But it was this song that those of us reaching adolescence around 1970 usually heard first. And thus ... well, you can imagine. In those days, things coming all the way from China, via Montreal, WERE truly exotic!

Return to “News”