Upcoming NYC Events

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
dick

Upcoming NYC Events

Post by dick »

Linda and I have the following shows on our calenders. Hope other fans in the area will also enjoy!

November 8, 12 noon. NY Film festival. “Sal and the Goon”, 33 minute Student movie written and directed by Julie Christensen’s son, Magnus Jackson Diehl, featuring husband and father John Diehl. Shown as part of a two hour session. Tribecca Theater, 45 Varick Street, $20 for session pass.

November 9, 7pm. Concert dedicated to Esther Cohen by Perla Batalla. DROM, 85 Avenue A (between 5th and 6th Sts), doors at 6pm, $15.

December 12, 11:30 pm. Sharon Robinson in NYC, Subculture, 45 Bleecker St, show at 11:30, doors at 11pm, $25
lizzytysh

Re: Upcoming NYC Events

Post by lizzytysh »

What a great line-up of events for you and Linda, Dick! Wish I could be there! Would love to be able to attend every single one. Thanks for posting these, and hope some from here will see you there 8)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I can speak about 'Sal and the Goon'. I have this movie and can verify that it is very well done. I thoroughly enjoyed it and think this young man has a great future. Good luck Magnus.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
dick

Post by dick »

More good news.........

Bob Metzger will accompany Perla at her show!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, WoW!!!!!! What a TREAT! Will he be in Gainesville with her on Nov. 6th, too? I've got my ticket.
~ Oscar Wilde
dick

Post by dick »

Those of us who planned on the 11/9 show were disappointed that it had to be cancelled. Fortunately it now sounds like Perla was able to narrowly dodge pneumonia, and is recovering fine.

The show has been rescheduled for January 8. The venue has not yet determined whether or not it will again be a 7pm show. We are hoping it is not a later show as we need to return to New Jersey after the show. Check the DROM website, and post the time here when it becomes available.
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

Hi Dick,
I am coming to NYC in January so will be watching this thread for news. Would be wonderful if I could see Perla and Bob Metzger perform while there.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I saw Perla perfomr in Gainesville, FL, on Thursday, November 6, when she first became ill and just prior to her necessary cancellation of her NYC performance. She had caught something on the flight whilst coming to Gainesville. She was still in the beginning stages of illness, though, so was fortunately [for her and us!] able to rally enough to go on. I copied & pasted into the Related Artists section here the comments I made on her Facebook page in the early morning hours after seeing her. She did NOT feel well... and, yet, she was wonderful! Be sure to go see her in NYC on January 8th! Below is the link to my comments in the Related Artists section:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=35633

~ Lizzie
~ Oscar Wilde
dick

Post by dick »

Another great event. In addition to her concert Friday night, Sharon Robinson will conduct a book signing in SoHo--1-4pm, Saturday the 13th. Gallery at the Morrison Hotel. See her there if you can!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Would LOVE to see Sharon perform solo sometime.
~ Oscar Wilde
uncleerwinone

Post by uncleerwinone »

Do we have a night owl in our mids who went to the event and would like to report on it? Would very much appreciate it. Thanks
ddanyc

Post by ddanyc »

I don’t know if it was the intimate venue or not being used to performing solo, but Sharon was remarkably nervous, misplacing her set list, stumbling on the lyrics to Boogie Street and repeating a lyric on Everybody Knows. She even said between songs at one point “wow, you guys are making me nervous”. Somehow this was all very charming.

She sang 4 songs from her new album “Caffeine”, one song (The High Road) from her previous album and, of course, Boogie Street, Everybody Knows, Secret Life, 1000 Kisses and Alexandra Leaving. She was accompanied by her son on guitar and acoustic piano and by a rather superfluous trumpet on a couple of the new songs.

Needless to say, Sharon’s voice was a delight, and it was a treat to see her from 20 feet away. The new album sounds quite promising.
uncleerwinone

Post by uncleerwinone »

Thanks ddanyc for the quick response. Singing in front of 5000 people or more might be easier than to sing in front of a small gathering were one is more exposed to the audience. It seems you had a great time anyway. Good for you and thanks again.
dick

Post by dick »

Really sorry we couldn't make it to Sharon's show or book signing. It appears both went well!

On another front, Drom now confirms Perla show for January 8. Part of three acts, with Perla in the middle at 8pm.

Linda and I expect to be there and hope we see many old friends and fans!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What privileged physical proximity you had, ddanyc. It had to have been wonderful, and I've no doubt that she was charming in her nervousness.
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “News”