Live in Dublin Sound

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
Bennyboy

Re: Live in Dublin Sound

Post by Bennyboy »

I am listening as I type, and through these headphones it sounds superb - rich and atmospheric and nuanced. Don't know what you're moaning about.
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

I'm having my first listen to the CD's and like the DVD, the sound is amazing.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

I've listened to the digital release properly now and have largely been won over by it. I still prefer the SFTR mix a tad but overall this is working just fine for me and my earlier fears based on those flawed preview versions have been pretty much erased. Between this and PP, it's been a great year for Leonard fans.
susanne30072009

Post by susanne30072009 »

I really think this is a much better Quality than "Live in Lindon"... but now I "compare" the "Live in Dublin"-DVD with the BLUERAY "one to one"... and the difference of the Quality is realy great! I mean, the DVD is very good, really. But with the BLUERAY-Disc you will have the "closest thing to the reality". I could not believe it in the beginning, but it is just great, what the new technique can do! And for the same Price for once... well done! It is "sharp" like a "razor-blade".... I love this disc! Even the colours are just better in a way.... it blows me away. Great, a Must have, really!
LenMaster

Post by LenMaster »

The sound on the dvd is amazing, stellar. I am impressed.
astranger

Post by astranger »

Still waiting for my physical copy to be delivered, but listening to it on my phone via Spotify and it sounds superb!
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
amcgee

Post by amcgee »

Hi

I have all his Live albums and have always being a bigger fan of live records more than his studio albums. I bought the live in Dublin album last friday and in my opinion it is the worst produced album i have ever heard. I am no music producer opr expert, but compared to the live in london and others, it is appalling, first album i could honestly say that i am tempted to bring back. I listened to a good view clips from youtube for those concerts and they sound better
Maybe the dvd are better, but the sound and the way it was produced just not to my liking.
Just my opinion. I really enjoyed his last studio album, popular problems, so 1 out of two aint too bad. but i think Cohen needs to stop releasing live albums which in reality are the same as before, i remember saying the same thing for live in london. But live in London is one of my favourite albums. Live in Dublin unfortunately will be gathering dust
one unhappy Cohen fan
songwriter

Post by songwriter »

amcgee wrote:Hi

I have all his Live albums and have always being a bigger fan of live records more than his studio albums. I bought the live in Dublin album last friday and in my opinion it is the worst produced album i have ever heard. I am no music producer opr expert, but compared to the live in london and others, it is appalling, first album i could honestly say that i am tempted to bring back. I listened to a good view clips from youtube for those concerts and they sound better
Maybe the dvd are better, but the sound and the way it was produced just not to my liking.
Just my opinion. I really enjoyed his last studio album, popular problems, so 1 out of two aint too bad. but i think Cohen needs to stop releasing live albums which in reality are the same as before, i remember saying the same thing for live in london. But live in London is one of my favourite albums. Live in Dublin unfortunately will be gathering dust
one unhappy Cohen fan

I agree.

the live in london album is superior in every way, which is a shame as I much preferred the songs without dino when I saw the tours live.

Bitterly disappointing.
Franks

Post by Franks »

I agree. The Live in Dublin album is a poor mix that does not compare to Live in London. It lacks depth and dynamics.
Frank.
beatingthelilies

Post by beatingthelilies »

I'm rather enjoying this release. For those of you with surround sound capabilities, check out your rear speakers while the video is played in surround sound. It sounds almost (almost) like a completely different concert to me. Maybe like an audience recording has been mixed in with the official soundboard.

Edit: How amazing is Alexandra Leaving with Sharon Robinson on vocals?! This is one of my favorite LC songs and she has truly made it her own. They really do make a great team. Here's to another pairing of the 2 in the studio someday soon :-)
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I received my discs yesterday and have watched the concert twice. I think it is really wonderful, both visuals and sound are perfect. I have always loved Live in London, but now am torn to say which one is better.

It is Leonard at his best. I just wish there had been a Live concert made for each year of this past tour.
Thank you Leonard for this very fine concert. 8) :D
Last edited by Cheshire gal on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
songwriter

Post by songwriter »

Cheshire gal wrote:
It is Leonard at his best.

That's really interesting. I always think Leonard around the time of Live in Isle of Wight is him at this best. I love the current Leonard, but I do believe his absolute peak was many decades ago.

Just my humble opinion of course.
Mooch

Post by Mooch »

Add me to the list of dissenters. However for me it isn't necessarily a mix thing but I find the vocals flat and raspy and the band sounds tired. I have seen every tour of the last few years and was at Brighton a few days before the Dublin recording. There Leonard's voice was mellifluous and strong the band were as sharp as cold razor blades. I am afraid this is one off night, at times almost Karaoke. Not worth documenting . I would much prefer a 'Songs of the road' approach culling the best performances across the board. But can't see that happening. Sorry
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

Bennyboy wrote:I am listening as I type, and through these headphones it sounds superb - rich and atmospheric and nuanced. Don't know what you're moaning about.
Well said, Bennyboy.
There will always be a few who like to claim superior technical knowledge and will complain about ANYTHING released.
Fine. They are entitled to their opinion.
My opinion is that this is excellent.

I have spent two blissful evenings watching the DVD, one on an old TV and DVD player, the other on a modern combo.
Both made me very happy. (Better sound on the first, better picture on the second - of course it will vary depending on the equipment on which you play it. )

Nothing can ever equal the bliss of actually being there that night, ( the joyful audience participation in the encores is not audible on the DVD , which will please some! ) but this comes as close as possible. With a bonus - then there was the feeling that this is wonderful but it is passing, now here it is preserved on disc to be enjoyed again and again! We are so lucky.

Thank you to all involved.
Ring the bells that still can ring...
songwriter

Post by songwriter »

Mooch wrote:Add me to the list of dissenters. However for me it isn't necessarily a mix thing but I find the vocals flat and raspy and the band sounds tired. I have seen every tour of the last few years and was at Brighton a few days before the Dublin recording. There Leonard's voice was mellifluous and strong the band were as sharp as cold razor blades. I am afraid this is one off night, at times almost Karaoke. Not worth documenting . I would much prefer a 'Songs of the road' approach culling the best performances across the board. But can't see that happening. Sorry

I am not sure about this sir. Many people from this forum attended this very gig and certainly did not report an off night.

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”