Live in Dublin Sound

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
JudasPriest

Re: Live in Dublin Sound

Post by JudasPriest »

The drums and violins sound so compressed...so tinny and screechy...it's distressing. We have to collectively protest on this one in the name of Leonard's art. Ed's assurances don't placate me as what presumably is the final product vis a vis 2 tracks are already for sale. I can only imagine Leonard or any of the band members putting on a pair of headphones to listen to this ITunes release and squirming...
LenMaster

Post by LenMaster »

JudasPriest wrote:The drums and violins sound so compressed...so tinny and screechy...it's distressing. We have to collectively protest on this one in the name of Leonard's art. Ed's assurances don't placate me as what presumably is the final product vis a vis 2 tracks are already for sale. I can only imagine Leonard or any of the band members putting on a pair of headphones to listen to this ITunes release and squirming...
I am all for a collective protest. I think a simple poll on this forum would already send a clear message. I find it amazing that those two songs made it through quality control.
beatingthelilies

Post by beatingthelilies »

With all due respect to those involved with this release, the audio of the clips I've listened to does sound a bit restrained as though they were recorded in mono. All sounds are pretty much equalized with one another. There seems to be no ambiance either. The sound in the Live in London and Songs From The Road releases were spot on to my ears. I'm still looking forward to this release but hopefully the audio can be tweeked.

Post by guest »

Comparing the iTunes clips available for Everybody Knows on Live In London with the new one on Live In Dublin, the Dublin version certainly sounds very flat with little ambience. Let's hope it's not a true reflection of the sound but there's no reason to think it's not.

I recall some people who were at the Dublin concerts writing that there was a lot of audience 'interaction'. I wonder if this very close flat sound was the only way of excluding some of that ambient noise if it was too distracting.
hansr

Post by hansr »

And how do you like this?

http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20141118_01381906

Greetings from Holland,

Hans
2008 Rotterdam
2009 Antwerp, Colmar, Barcelona
2010 Malmo, Ghent (3x), Strassbourg, Lille
2012 Ghent (2x), Amsterdam (2x), London, Dublin, Paris, Lisbon
2013 Antwerp, Brussels, Lucca, Vienna, Oslo, Manchester, London, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
anny

Post by anny »

Thks Hans, that sounds great !!!

Bol.com : Short fragments of every song from the cd . Sounds great too. Except- Everybody Knows -the sync.music-lyrics (could be in my ears only ) ;-)
Last edited by anny on Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilia

Post by ilia »

Anny, would you please to send a link to the Bol.com previews? I don't see it. Thank you
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Geoff wrote:Comparing the iTunes clips available for Everybody Knows on Live In London with the new one on Live In Dublin, the Dublin version certainly sounds very flat with little ambience. Let's hope it's not a true reflection of the sound but there's no reason to think it's not.

I recall some people who were at the Dublin concerts writing that there was a lot of audience 'interaction'. I wonder if this very close flat sound was the only way of excluding some of that ambient noise if it was too distracting.
I don't want to prejudge the DVD but I did watch the So Long Marianne clip from the link hansr posted. I was astonished - I couldn't hear ANY audience singing at all and I know FOR A FACT that the audience were singing at the top of the voices. I think you may be right Geoff as the audience appears to have been cut out completely. A great shame, if true, because that's what makes the atmosphere on a great night and it goes to the very heart of why Leonard loves performing in Dublin so much.

Not long to wait now till we find out for sure.

Wendy
anny

Post by anny »

FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD »

Mabeanie1 wrote:. I was astonished - I couldn't hear ANY audience singing at all and I know FOR A FACT that the audience were singing at the top of the voices. I think you may be right Geoff as the audience appears to have been cut out completely. A great shame, if true, because that's what makes the atmosphere on a great night and it goes to the very heart of why Leonard loves performing in Dublin so much.

Not long to wait now till we find out for sure.

Wendy
I agree with Wendy . I choose to play the audience recordings because you re-live the atmosphere of the night. I have travelled to Ireland to experience the special atmosphere of the concerts there. In "So Long Marianne" Leonard would often just stand and hold his hat whist listening to the crowd singing the chorus.

Hopefully - rather than a director's commentary , there will be an option of "Full audience experience" on the dvd ! (Although I doubt it)
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

So Long M does sound a lot better than what we've heard to date thankfully - and the synching issue is resolved - but as others have noted a real shame there isn't a flavour of the audience singalong to really document the night authentically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

More good news- I just opened my crappy ITunes Everybody Knows and instead of playing it downloaded again and sounds distinctly better than before. It seems we may have been listened to...

JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

I still prefer the mix employed in Songs From The Road but at least this is now listenable

musicmania

Post by musicmania »

It sounded so weird watching that performance of So Long Marianne without the audience interaction, especially when Leonard says "You sing so pretty". Such a shame if that will be the same for the entire DVD. But it is good to see that the syncing issues on the other videos aren't apparent on this track.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Just compared Closing Time off Songs From The Road to the newly "fixed" Everybody Knows from Live in Dublin. The former still kills the latter in terms of mix due to a large extent to the audience presence being felt in a material way without being intrusive. The recording is allowed to breathe as a result. Still, I won't complain too much as the repair to Everybody Knows has definitely improved things

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”