Esther Cohen

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
UKsylvie

Re: Esther Cohen

Post by UKsylvie »

I am deeply sorry to hear the news that Esther Cohen, Leonard's beloved big sister, has passed away. Idid not know her well but, thanks to Dick and Jarkko and various events I did in New York, I met her several times - as charming, vivacious and generous a spirit as you could hope to meet. And that smile! It could light up a room. In fact I saw it do just that in the dark little NYC basement rock club Chez Andre where she came and saw Fred Nicolaus and I sing her brother's songs (and was sweet enough to come up afterwards and warmly compliment us on our performance). She will be sorely missed by so many people, not least Leonard. My sincere condolences for his loss of a sister and so many people's loss of a dear friend.
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

Sad news. Rest gently, Esther.
Steven

Post by Steven »

My condolences to Leonard Cohen. May he and others who are most affected by the loss find comfort.
A traditional Jewish saying includes these words: "May her memory be for a blessing." -- Amen.
rike

Post by rike »

Heartfelt Condolences!
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
lightning

Post by lightning »

Named for a biblical queen and heroine of the "Book of Esther," Esther Cohen was a fine daughter of the source of her name. She was a beautiful and gracious lady. My condolences to Leonard and the rest of her family.
Attachments
esther2.jpg
esther.JPG
Last edited by lightning on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Such a terrible loss. My prayers and deepest sympathy to Mr. Cohen, her family and all her many friends. May she rest in peace.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, dear... when I saw Esther's full name in the News section, it was with dread that I opened this thread... knowing...
My heart is with Leonard, his children, and grandchildren, as she had to have been a beloved aunt and great aunt... and with all of Esther's other many loved ones and friends... and with you, Dick and Linda. I know the close friendship and bond the three of you forged and shared through to the end.
Seeing Esther on any occasion was like seeing the brightness of a shining star... she always shone with love for Leonard and all of us.
Always happy, always accepting, always graceful. Always generous with her time and conversation. A vibrantly beautiful woman and spirit.
I've only the best, most positive memories of her and am grateful to have known her.
Esther's passing is a huge loss to many.
May you rest in peace, dear Esther.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lightning

Post by lightning »

This is a photo of Dick Straub and Esther at Sylvie Simmons' Leonard Cohen concert at Chez Andre in New York City, 4/14/13.
Attachments
esther&dick.JPG
B4real

Post by B4real »

I felt her warmth and generosity of spirit from across the other side of the world. May she rest in peace.
To Leonard and all the Cohen family, my very heartfelt condolences and may the memories be a blessing.

Bev
Last edited by B4real on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
basecamp

Post by basecamp »

Sad news indeed.
My sincere condolences to Leonard and family.
- Hans
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu »

Condolences to her family. A beautiful, elegant spirit who loved life and lived it well.
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
Wimmer

Post by Wimmer »

So sorry to hear this bad news. My sincerest condolences to Leonard, the rest of their family and all her friends.
Marina
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Condolences to everyone personally affected by this loss,
Especially to Leonard . A slightly older sister and a great spirit from all i have read .She has been there every day of his life , but now only in memory.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Gentle Reader

Post by Gentle Reader »

My condolences to Leonard's family and to everyone who knew Esther. A huge loss, especially for Leonard, my prayers are for the support they all need now.
Linda
astranger

Post by astranger »

Very sad news. Condolences to Leonard and family.
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12

Return to “News”