Leonard 80 years: Fund Raising for our Hydra Bench

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
maphoner

Re: Leonard 80 years: Fund Raising for our Hydra Bench

Post by maphoner »

Contribution sent via PayPal.

Thanks again to all involved with this project. :)

Tom
of course you say you can't complain
Inge

Post by Inge »

Money sent and confirmation from PayPal received. I want to thank the people who made this wonderful birthday present for Leonard Cohen possible.
Inge
BlizzardofIce

Post by BlizzardofIce »

Money sent.

Will contribute more if goal is not reached in the first round.
There are many ways a man can serve his time
ilion

Post by ilion »

Money sent! Hope to visit the bench some day!
Doris

Post by Doris »

First I had problems with the transfer too. In online banking I got an error message about too much text in the adress line. Paypal told me that charges may apply for transfers to Ireland. Then I did it personally at my bank and the clerk fixed it for me. Now the amount is debited from my account, so I assume that it has worked now.
It makes me very happy to involve myself with my small contribution in the project. Many thanks to all involved for your great work.
And all I´ve said
was just instead of
Coming back to you.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Greetings from Dublin! We received several contributions to our bench project also at the Event. Next I have to concentrate on my professional duties for a few days, but I will compile the promised interim report later this week, after I have had time to enter all payments through different channels in the books.

I can already say that it looks very promising, and, thanks to the generosity of many members and other fans, it looks like we will get our bench erected on Hydra!
Meanwhile all who plan to participate (those who pledged and those who didn't), please go ahead!

Jarkko
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
maroo

Post by maroo »

Hi,
thanks for this opportunity.
Money sent using PAYPAL.

regards
Piero

P.S. looking forward for the update of this project!!!
Dublin 14/15th September 2012
Olwen

Post by Olwen »

Donated at the Dublin event . Look forward to seeing the completed bench- brilliant idea- well done to all involved. :)
Olwen
Plymouth 1976, Kilmainham Dublin 2008, 02 Dublin 2009, Lissadel Sligo 2010,
Kilmainham, Dublin 2012, 02 Dublin 2013, Leonard Cohen Dublin Event 2014.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

We promised to let you know how our Bench Project is proceeding. A summary of all payments received so far through all the channels is ready, and here is our progress report:

We are thrilled to report that not only have we achieved our goal of 10,000 EUR to construct the bench on Hydra in honour of Leonard, we have surpassed the goal! As of today, we have raised 12,183 EUR.

To everyone who contributed, a heartfelt thank you. Congratulations to all of us who have contributed ideas and encouragement, who helped to spread the word, who worked behind the scenes and who gave of their time and money. Let us all take a moment to appreciate the level of love that is being expressed for Leonard. People opened their hearts unconditionally to honor him. So, thank you and a pat on the back to everyone.

But...we aren't done yet. First, the fund raising effort stays open until September 21 to make certain everyone who wants to contribute and be a part of this birthday surprise for Leonard can still do so.

Next, what do we do with the surplus funds? We would like to put some money aside for the maintenance of the bench and the area around it in the years to come. We always want it to be as beautiful, as shady, and as well kept as the day it was constructed. Beyond this however, we will still have some funds left over.

At one point there was a discussion on the Forum about donating money to fund a writing award with The Canada Council of the Arts. This would be a possibility. However, we would need substantially more funds for an endowment or a reoccurring, yearly award. Likely, our writing award would be a one-time prize.

Alternatively, we could donate the excess funds to Leonard's foundation, The Fund for Reconciliation, Tolerance and Peace, or we could ask Leonard for his preferred charity.

In recent days in a private conversation with one of our members, it was suggested that Hydra is without some important medical equipment and perhaps our surplus donations could be used to purchase such equipment to donate to the people of Hydra in an effort to further benefit their community.

So, these are the options. Please discuss them so we can come to some consensus.

Again, the fund raising continues until September 21. Thank you all so much for your contributions.

Jarkko and Marie

PS: Email confirmation has been sent to all our contributors whose email addresses we have got or found. It was a group email (with addresses hidden) without any individual comments. Any questions will be (and have been) answered in separate emails.

Seven of those more than 230 emails sent out were not delivered because the email address given with the payment was not correct, or "Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain". Also, three contributors did not give email address at all, and we have not found those from the archives.

If you didn't get the confirmation, you may email Jarkko to confirm your email address. Before doing it, please check your spam/junk mail folder - sometimes emails like this go there!
Included in this posting were all payments received before 10 am UTC/GMT today. We get information on PayPal payments immediatelly while bank payments and checks will take a few days.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Ria Bellen

Post by Ria Bellen »

Wonderful news !!
Best ideas :
1. Put some money aside for the maintenance of the bench.
2. Ask Leonard for his preferred charity.
Henning

Post by Henning »

Hi Jarkko - this would be my preferred option:
jarkko wrote:In recent days in a private conversation with one of our members, it was suggested that Hydra is without some important medical equipment and perhaps our surplus donations could be used to purchase such equipment to donate to the people of Hydra in an effort to further benefit their community.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Wonderful news, Jarkko!
I agree with Henning re: the medical equipment for Hydra
newfoundland--understand?
Diane

Post by Diane »

Thanks for all the work that's gone into this, Jarkko and others!
jarkko wrote: we could donate the excess funds to Leonard's foundation, The Fund for Reconciliation, Tolerance and Peace.
Must say, my preference is for that idea.
maroo

Post by maroo »

I Also like this idea.
Henning wrote:Hi Jarkko - this would be my preferred option:
jarkko wrote:In recent days in a private conversation with one of our members, it was suggested that Hydra is without some important medical equipment and perhaps our surplus donations could be used to purchase such equipment to donate to the people of Hydra in an effort to further benefit their community.
Dublin 14/15th September 2012
Anne R

Post by Anne R »

I support the medical equipement for Hydra. I support anything that benefits the Hydra community.
1976 Oslo | 1979 Oslo | 1985 Oslo x 2 | 1988 Oslo | 1993 Oslo | 2008 Manchester, Oslo, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Helsinki | 2009 New York, Langesund, Barcelona | 2010 Oslo, Helsinki, Las Vegas x2 |2012 Helsinki, (Verona)| 2013 Oslo

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”