How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
fusional

Re: How to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday

Post by fusional »

Love this idea.

Happy to contribute. 'Came so far For Beauty' is a good option. There's tonnes of possibilities in his work - but going to obscure may be unhelpful.
basecamp

Post by basecamp »

Sophia wrote:I contacted Mr. Lakis Christidis today and I'm glad to say that he really likes and will fully support our bench project. After contacting with the mayor of Hydra he called me again and said he is also very supportive and positive; the only problem we face now is getting the permission of the Archaeological Service (what I was afraid initially). The whole island of Hydra has been characterised as "archaelogical site" (since 1996), so for even small projects, things can be difficult. Mr. Christidis arranged to meet tomorrow a civil engineer (who is friend of his and knows well what is required in similar cases), so we can have a drawing design of the bench, as the mayor (who is also an architect) said we need to have it to present in all details our bench project; we talked about a simple stone bench (I mentioned the idea of "Came so far for beauty" inscription, that he really liked), located on the way to Kamini perhaps near Avlaki area. Mr. Christidis is so kind and helpful, let's hope everything goes well with required permission - in that case he said we could have a nice presentation supported by municipality of Hydra in September.
I'll keep you updated :-)

Sophia
Such wonderful news, Sophia! Thanks so much to you and Mr Christidis! Fingers crossed that your efforts are successful.
Cheers!
Hans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
Annick

Post by Annick »

It is a great and beautiful idea.
I'll be glad to contribute.
Silence
and a deeper silence
when the crickets
hesitate

06/1976 Nancy - 07/2008 Bruges - 10/2008 Bruxelles - 08/2009 Colmar - 08/2012 Ghent - 06/2013 Bruxelles
reneny3

Post by reneny3 »

What a wonderful idea!
I too will be happy to contribute.
Last edited by reneny3 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in.
BlizzardofIce

Post by BlizzardofIce »

Great idea.
Will contribute, too.
There are many ways a man can serve his time
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm a hundred very sures that there are many who will be happy to contribute even if they're not commenting that they will... and even if they're not yet aware that this project will be happening. Glad to see people commenting. There used to be an algorithm [correct word?] that every letter to the editor that got written to publication represented 200 people who didn't write, but who agree. By now, that represented number may be even larger.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
regensburg

Post by regensburg »

Very good news, let us hope all goes well. Thank you Sophia for all your efforts to get this project under way.
regensburg

Post by regensburg »

Are we inscribing Leonard's Name under " I came so far for beauty"?
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Also very :D happy to contribute

Came so far for beauty seems very apt as a simple inscription
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Janetld

Post by Janetld »

I am also very happy to contribute, a lovely idea.
Alethea

Post by Alethea »

I am delighted to contribute. Please don't leave off the "I" at the beginning of the line of poetry, even though it isn't in the title. Leonard is so meticulous about his writing, and to me the "I" refers not only to the poet and the singer, but also to the reader or listener. It is truly universal, and will let each person who reads the inscription feel that it has meaning for her/him personally. We are doing this for generations not yet born, who may not have the pleasure of seeing/hearing Leonard himself.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, GREAT clarifying thoughts, Alethea. Beginning with being true to Leonard's words and carrying right through to all the possibilities for people's own interpretations... not only now around the world, but in the many years wherein the bench will last.
~ Oscar Wilde
ursula48

Post by ursula48 »

:?: :D When I stayed in Aalborg, Denmark for Leonard's concert (26 August 2012) I visited the beautiful City Park with its trees of music. Since 1987 major celebrities have left reminders of their visits by planting a tree in Kildenparken . Visitors can press a button and listen to the musician's music. I was astonished that Leonard didn't plant a tree. I believe they didn't have time .
What about planting a tree together with a device to listen to one of Leonard's songs in a beautiful park in Montreal?
ursula48
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi ursula ~

Do have that same kind of arrangement in Montreal? Someone has to maintain those devices, so I'm thinking it's a municipality of some sort. If there were such a thing in Montreal, and the cost were such that we might be able to do such a thing with any funds left over from the bench, it sounds like a great idea. However, it seems that giving one 'large' gift is preferred for a milestone birthday, and the bench seems to be working its way through the approval channels. If it doesn't gain approval, however, and Montreal had such arrangements... :D

~ Lizzie
~ Oscar Wilde
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

...placing memorial plaques on park benches in memory of loved ones is a very common practice here in the UK...that's why i hope that whatever is decided that the bench will emphasise the fact that it has been placed there to celebrate leonard's 80th. birthday and not to have the look or feel of a memorial...

...obviously not appropriate for leonard's proposed bench on hydra but still my favourite park bench inscription by a country mile...ta ken

nm.JPG
Last edited by liverpoolken on Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”