Where do you go to my lovely ?

This section is for all other music-related topics
Kush

Where do you go to my lovely ?

Post by Kush »

I'd heard this song just once on the radio a long time ago , probably early 80s but did not know who was the singer until a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mulVTYSKHuE
Steven

Re: Where do you go to my lovely ?

Post by Steven »

Hi Kush,

A very nice song. Like you, I heard it on the radio a long time ago. Stayed somewhere in the recesses of
my memory till hearing the linked clip. Years ago, on to the radio, sometime in the wee small hours of the morning, I heard a DJ play a Townes Van Zandt song. I was more asleep than not. That was the first time I heard anything from or about Townes. Can't remember which song, though If I had to guess, I'd probably be able to narrow it down to it being one of four Townes songs. Townes name and the emotional thrust of the song I heard stayed with me through the years. Wasn't till many years later that I heard more of his music. First impressions can be lasting impressions. The images that accompany the link to "Where do you go to my lovely?" are well chosen. The song has a "visual" quality that reminds me of Leonard Cohen's "Take This Waltz": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8VwvO0e ... re=related.
Kush

Post by Kush »

Hi Steven,

I agree the visual images that accompanied the clip were terrific - they enhance the experience. I did not catch either the name of the singer or the song when I heard it the first time but in this era of information highway and junkway a few keywords and clicks was all it took. I am amazed I did not search for it earlier because the song had stayed with me.
Yes Take this Waltz has some great visuals - floating hyacinth as a rivers disguise (and worn by the dancer on his shoulder) and pools of water on cupped hands held by wrists are ones that come to mind right away. Last summer I was doing the Euro road trip thing and was in Hungary looking for Hungarian lanterns but I could not find any. Only Hungarian Goulash. Lots of goulash. The original plan was to then drive to Vienna to look for the Gallery of Frost but we ran out of time. But I will surely be back. :)
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Thanks for the reminder of this '60s gem. It really is a wonderful time to search for, and find, music!

And, indeed, there seem to quite a few different versions of this song recorded and released by Peter Sarstedt - a name that can become better known thanks to the internet.
"Why music?" "Why breathing?"
Kush

Epistle to Derroll & Jason

Post by Kush »

Two other songs I rediscovered this weekend since the early 80s, with a combination of google, youtube and keywords. This must be the Lost and Found section.

Epistle to Derroll (Donovan)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0nRF9tYYqI

Jason (sung by Perry Como)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnCXbH-Zrzo
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

It's interesting to hear that people are still discovering "Where Do You Go To...". In the late Sixties, it was No. 1 for weeks on end. I remember an old guy who worked in my first job saying "Don't tell me that guy singing about the Aga Khan" is stilLtop of the pops! That said, I think it's an all-time classic, and I bought Peter Sarstedt's first album, which included it. This was just before I bought "Songs of Leonard Cohen", and in retrospect I would not be surprised if Sarstedt had listened to Leonard. There seems to be a thread that runs through "Master Song", "Where Do You Go To..." and "Take This Waltz". By the way (Adrian) the album version included an extra verse "You're in between twenty and thirty/A most desirable age/Your body is firm and inviting/But you live on a glittering stage". This was considered a bit risque at the time, and was left off the single.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi,

There's an Old World sensibility to "Where Do You Go To My Lovely?" In the Leonard Cohen catalog, that
sensibility may be most closely mirrored in "Dance Me To The End Of Love," the Garcia Lorca poem based
"Take This Waltz," "The Partisan," and "The Traitor."
Paula

Post by Paula »

A little bit of pop trivia, Eden Kane was Peter Starsted's brother. Probably still is!!!!
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
MarthaG

Post by MarthaG »

I like this Song very much, and there is a nice cover Version by right Said Fred.
http://youtu.be/DBZ9cslyyc0
Kush

Post by Kush »

There's an Old World sensibility to "Where Do You Go To My Lovely?
Hi Steven,

I agree with the old world sensibility of the song. I was also reminded of Townes Van Zandt's song Sad Cinderella - although not quite as worldly or old world but perhaps a more poetic expression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk1XcxqawXM
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi Kush,

I like that you've linked the Sarstedt and Townes songs and agree that there's "perhaps a more poetic
expression" with the Townes song. The Townes song probably reminded you of the Sarstedt song because,
like the Sarstedt song, many varied visual prompts are included in the lyrics.

Return to “Other music”