Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
Citizen_Kane

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Post by Citizen_Kane »

Athnuachan wrote: Apart from anything else, Sharon's splendid "Alexandra Leaving" deserves to be recorded.
But it has already been recorded! (Albeit not on a Leonard Cohen live cd or dvd). Sharon performed Alexandra Leaving on the Leonard Cohen: A Life In Art event. Of this performance a soundboard recording (which is pristine) was made. I took Alexandra Leaving (and other songs performed during the event) from the video soundtrack and Allan has been so kind to publish it on his blog.

Find it here: http://drhguy.com/2012/11/04/photos-mus ... t-30-2012/
2008: Manchester, Brussels (2), Rotterdam - 2009: Lisboa - 2010: Lille, Dortmund - 2012: Ghent (3), Amsterdam (2) - 2013: Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

A recording of a Leonard Cohen concert on his current tour that lacked Sharon's "Alexandra Leaving" would not be a concert recording.
She is integral to his concerts and the lack of her singing this would force a renaming of the finished product, i.e. "Excerpts from Leonard Cohen at [...]."
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Citizen_Kane wrote:
Athnuachan wrote: Apart from anything else, Sharon's splendid "Alexandra Leaving" deserves to be recorded.
But it has already been recorded! (Albeit not on a Leonard Cohen live cd or dvd). Sharon performed Alexandra Leaving on the Leonard Cohen: A Life In Art event. Of this performance a soundboard recording (which is pristine) was made. I took Alexandra Leaving (and other songs performed during the event) from the video soundtrack and Allan has been so kind to publish it on his blog.

Find it here: http://drhguy.com/2012/11/04/photos-mus ... t-30-2012/
The song is also included on Sharon's own CD, Everybody Knows, which is freely available from Amazon and other outlets.

Please buy Sharon's CD and support her work!

Wendy
drsing

Post by drsing »

Mabeanie1 wrote: The song is also included on Sharon's own CD, Everybody Knows
Wendy
True, however the arrangement and vocals on her own CD are clearly different from how the song is performed with the Leonard Cohen band. Imho the current tour version, of which a soundboard recording is mentioned by Citizen_Kane above, is far better and more intense.
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

drsing wrote: the arrangement and vocals on her own CD are clearly different from how the song is performed with the Leonard Cohen band. Imho the current tour version is far better and more intense.
Couldn't agree more, drsing - there is no comparison.

I bought Sharon's cd years ago, as no doubt many of us did (my favourite track on it is "Summertime") but I much prefer now to listen to her current tour version of "Alexandra Leaving", just as I prefer to listen to LC's tour version of "Hallelujah" rather than the original synthesized version on "Various Positions". Artists move on, their style evolves, arrangements change with the times - and best backing of all? A live band!
Ring the bells that still can ring...
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

But the question remains: will there be a new DVD of the Dublin concert or not? I hope so, as I doubt it could be bettered.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Not in the foreseeable future.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu »

Would love to see the start in Canada.
An inclusion of clips showing Leonard happy and dancing.
An inclusion of songs from Old Ideas.
(... Why not also a dvd of Old Ideas live???)
Of course, Sharon's Alexandra Leaving.

... In fact, would love the total tour to be available ...
Can't wait (though am saving) for the next ..
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
rigray

Post by rigray »

Would love to see the Dublin gig on Blu-Ray or DVD, it was a superb concert! :D
Dublin May 1976 /Dublin Dec 1979 / Dublin Jun 1983 / Dublin Mar 1985 / Dublin Jun 1988 / Dublin Jun 2008 / Dublin Jul 2009 / Sligo Jul 2010 / Dublin Sept 2012 / Dublin Sept 2013
holydove

Post by holydove »

Personally, I'd rather have a conglomeration of performances from various concerts, so that more songs that were performed could be included. For instance, Crazy To Love You & Light As The Breeze were performed in Ghent, & then they disappeared. Also, if it's only Dublin, Show Me The Place would not be included, & that would be sad. Also, several other songs from Old Ideas - Banjo, Different Sides, Anyhow - as well as the new song, I've Got A Secret, were not performed in Dublin. Yes, we have these performances on Youtube, but it would be really nice to have professional videos of them, & I think it would be a shame if a new DVD did not include performances of so many wonderful songs, for which we have no professional videos at this point.

Having said that, of course, any new concert DVD is more than welcome!!
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

holydove wrote:
Well said, holydove.
We all have our preferences,of course, but anything we get now is GOOD. And welcome.
Ring the bells that still can ring...
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

holydove wrote:Personally, I'd rather have a conglomeration of performances from various concerts, so that more songs that were performed could be included. For instance, Crazy To Love You & Light As The Breeze were performed in Ghent, & then they disappeared. Also, if it's only Dublin, Show Me The Place would not be included, & that would be sad. Also, several other songs from Old Ideas - Banjo, Different Sides, Anyhow - as well as the new song, I've Got A Secret, were not performed in Dublin. Yes, we have these performances on Youtube, but it would be really nice to have professional videos of them, & I think it would be a shame if a new DVD did not include performances of so many wonderful songs, for which we have no professional videos at this point.

It seems to me that the solution is simple. A DVD set of course. One DVD featuring a whole concert for those like me who like to get in to the atmosphere and flow of a show with a second DVD in the "Songs From the Road" format, featuring all the songs that have been performed which do not feature in the complete show in the same way as SFTR was produced to complement and update the Live in London DVD.

Well, we can all dream, can't we?

Wendy
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

How about a 2 DVD set with Dublin night 2 (30 songs + recitation) on one and all the other songs performed on tour being included on DVD 2?
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
holydove

Post by holydove »

Wendy & jdhayes, I second (or actually, third) either or both of your motions - a DVD set, including a full concert plus additional songs performed, is fine by me! So now that that's settled, nothing left to do but wait for the miracle. . .

Atnuachan, thanks for your comments, & yes, no harm in voicing our various preferences, but I think anything, in whatever format, will be a great gift for which we will all be very grateful.
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

Jarkko got LC to make an unscheduled stop in Dublin during the current tour. He will make this come true too. Let's start a campaign so he can bring it to the right people! A 2 DVD set containing all the songs performed would keep us all happy. But then we might have to wait for a few surprises from Down Under.

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”