Sad news: Arlene Dick has passed away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
j6ppc

Re: Sad news: Arlene Dick has passed away

Post by j6ppc »

I was saddened to read this on Leif's blog today.

Can't really improve on what I posted there:

"Damn… When I saw the headline I just knew what it was going to be.

We’ve dined with Arlene, laughed with her too. I’ve helped her across more than a few streets as well. The moments my wife and I shared with her were relatively few but always cherished. She was a very special person and I’ll miss her. She was a rightous person in the very best sense of the word.

Leif thanks for the words about Arlene- she would have been absolutely over the moon to know that she was featured here.

I’ll lift a glass in her memory tonight."

Psalm 91
You Who dwells in the shelter of the Most High, Who abides in the shadow of the Omnipotent,
I say [to you] of the Lord Who is my refuge and my stronghold, my G-d in Whom I trust,
that He will save you from the ensnaring trap, from the destructive pestilence.
He will cover you with His pinions and you will find refuge under His wings; His truth is a shield and an armor.
You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
the pestilence that prowls in the darkness, nor the destruction that ravages at noon.
A thousand may fall at your [left] side, and ten thousand at your right, but it shall not reach you.
You need only look with your eyes, and you will see the retribution of the wicked.
Because you [have said,] "The Lord is my shelter," and you have made the Most High your haven,
no evil will befall you, no plague will come near your tent.
For He will instruct His angels in your behalf, to guard you in all your ways.
They will carry you in their hands, lest you hurt your foot on a rock.
You will tread upon the lion and the viper; you will trample upon the young lion and the serpent.
Because he desires Me, I will deliver him; I will fortify him for he knows My Name.
When he calls on Me, I will answer him; I am with him in distress, I will deliver him and honor him.
I will satisfy him with long life, and show him My deliverance.

-------------------------------

Farewell Arlene- you will dwell in our hearts forever.

Jon
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

It has been a huge shock to hear the sad news, my thoughts are with Arlene's family and her son Leonard. I have had the pleasure to meet Arele for the LC Krakow event and for the 2010 Berlin concert, and I count myself lucky that I have. She has been a great friend to both my mum and me, I have admired her strength, wisdom, kindness and the way she enjoyed herself within the Leonard Cohen community. Then, there is her great "scrapbook" of course. Greg has only known her online, but regards her as a good friend all the same - Arlene has always been interested in how things were going for us and been letting us know she was wishing us well. Arlene, you will be sorely missed, especially around here on the Forum, at the LC concerts and the future meetups. But you will never be forgotten.
It has been a privilege to know Arlene and, above all, to be among her friends.
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
andrea

Post by andrea »

Our deepest condolence to Arlene's family and thank you Sharon for informing us.
We were both really shocked reading this sad news, we have met her first time in 2010 (Marco remembers her well from Cracow, I remember her from Las Vegas) and of course we followed the scrapbook news and photos and she was an active forum member.
She will surely rest in our mind...
R.i.p. Arlene
ciaooooo
Andrea & Marco
1976 june Zürich (both evenings)
2008 july london - july loerrach - july lucca - october berlin - october milan - november london
2009 july koeln - august venice - september barcelona
2010: july salzburg - september florence- - december las vegas
2012: august ghent - september berlin - verona
2013: august pula - august Zürich
CathyM

Post by CathyM »

I felt very sad at this news and feel for Arlene's family and friends. I loved reading Arlene's posts. Her big take on life always shone through.
Cate

Post by Cate »

This is sad news, she seems to have touched many lives in a positive way.

My condolences to all of her friends and family.
edlosi

Post by edlosi »

We are sad that Arlene passed away.
It was in 2010 we met her twice, during the event in Krakow and later in Las Vegas.
She was such a lovely lady. We are grateful that we have met her.

Our condolences to the family
Irmgard & Isolde
hazey

Post by hazey »

Dear Arlene, I've never met you but I loved reading your comments and reviews on this forum and your blog. Not only did I find them informative but also witty and funny. You seemed to unite many of us here, we are already missing you.

My condolences to her family and friends.

Goodbye.
1988 : Madrid / 2008 : London O2 Jul 17 / 2009: Madrid, Bilbao / 2010: Lisboa, Tours / 2012: Paris 2x, Madrid, Lisboa / 2013: Paris, Roma, Brighton
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

My dear Friends,

While I have been untypically unable to finalize & post my own words for Arlene, I want you to know I shared your beautiful and moving words with her family. They were accepted with admiration and deep appreciation, allowing them a glimpse into how loved and meaningful she was for so many in this community.

She'd always have tears in her eyes when people said moving things to her. She was opinionated and feisty, but very sensitive deep inside. Had she been able to read all that has been written here, on FB and on the various LC-related blogs, she'd be crying her eyes out from joy.

She will be laid to rest today, Friday, March 15, 2013, 4th of the Jewish month of Nissan, at 2pm PST at Mount Sinai Simi Valley Cemetery, California.

Arlene loved Shabbat's. As I do, in a non-religious way. She knew Friday late afternoons are my fave time of the week, when unique pre-Shabbat atmosphere descends on the streets here.
No matter how many emails we exchanged in a week, we had a weekly Friday ritual - I'd send her a photo of my lit Shabbat candles with a blessing "Shabbat Shalom from Eretz" (= land in Hebrew, one of the many names of Israel). Her responses often included a wish to return here, hoping it'll be for another LC concert, many times reciprocating with a photo of her own candles a few hours later, always with a little Yiddishkeit side dish that birthed talks about life..
Given the usual 10 hour time difference between Tel Aviv and L.A, I'd often accompany it with a call on my way home from a Shabbat dinner, enjoying making her laugh in reaction to me always opening up by saying something in Hebrew instead of a simple hello.... :-)
This will be the first Shabbat in a long while I won't be sending my pic and I find it very symbolic, and even somewhat comforting, she'll be laid to her final rest just before Shabbat enters.

A memorial service in her hometown of Toronto is planned to take place after the 30 days of Jewish mourning (probably a Sunday in mid-end of April).
I will post details as they become available.

Shabbat Shalom from Eretz to all,
--Sharon
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
vickiwoodyard

Post by vickiwoodyard »

This is my first post to the forum although I have been reading it since I saw Leonard at the Fox Theater in Atlanta in 2009. I was surprised at the depth of my reaction to the news of Arlene's passing. My sadness came not only because she has passed on, but because so many people are diminished by her loss. The depth of community on this forum is obvious and perfectly symbolic of UHTC.

These days we are not only electronically connected but spiritually connected and so I express my sympathies to Arlene's family and to those on the forum who got to know her.
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

This is such sad news - my condolences to her son Leonard, as well as other family members and friends.

I have fond memories of meeting Arlene in Krakow in 2010 and recalling her enthusiasm and conviviality, not to speak of her incredible contribution here in this community and more broadly in the world of Leonard fans.

Andrew
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

All the descriptions of Arlene - determined, feisty, opinionated, with chutzpah, but always with generosity and kindness - are so spot on. She was always most kind in her PMs when responding to something that was written in praise of one of her posts. Her love of both Leonards (and her family and friends) were a constant in her life and as a result gave the rest of us much joy through her posts, PMs, and her blog. Her death diminishes all of us.

My most vivid memory of her was at the after show get together with the band in Las Vegas. I was talking with Chris Bynum when I felt a nudge. It was crowded, I thought someone was passing by and had accidentely bumped into me. Then, another nudge. It was Arlene, telling me in her silent way that my time was up and it was her turn. I couldn't help but smile and move on. That was Arlene's way and she was right - my time was up and give someone else a chance. This memory always brings a smile to my face.

My deepest sympathy to her family and friends. We have lost a great member of this forum. She is gone, but will never be forgotten.

Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
maureenv

Post by maureenv »

I just heard about Arlene's passing and I am greatly saddened. Although I have never met Arlene, I was able to experience all of the LC concerts that Arlene went to (that I did not) by following her YouTube channel. I always looked forward to seeing what Arlene saw! She was a bright spirit and I feel blessed that she shared that brightness with us all.

Sleep well, Arlene. Thank you for the memories.
Oakland, CA - April 14, 2009 / San Jose, CA - November 13, 2009 / Oakland, CA - December 5, 2010 / Oakland, CA - December 6, 2010 / Las Vegas, NV - December 10, 2010 / Las Vegas, NV - December 11, 2010 / San Jose, CA - November 7, 2012 / Oakland, CA - March 2, 2013 / Oakland, CA - March 3, 2013
Nellynolan

Post by Nellynolan »

I'd like to add my condolences, I know that Arlene was loved and respected.
To her family and her friends, I'm sorry for your loss, may she rest in peace.
"Here's to the few who forgive what you do, and the fewer who don't even care"
LC
kristien

Post by kristien »

I only met Arlene once at the first LC concerts in Ghent and she made a lasting impression on me as a warm, interesting and lively person .
Since then I visited her blog almost every day and enjoyed her comments , photo's and video's .She made it possible for me to follow the concerts of LC from a distance and yet be part of it.
I have been playing Klezmermusic the whole day to remember her and she will be in my hart for a long time.

Dear Arlene ,I hope that Leonards' music will accompany you in this new journey to heaven ,

Kristien
John K.

Post by John K. »

I've just read this sad news this afternoon. My deep condolences to Arlene's family.

Arlene and I first communicated just last summer, shortly after she posted a link to my performance of "Going Home" at the Madison Event. I was so happy, surprised and complimented to be included in her blog, so I contacted her to thank her. To my surprise she seemed as complimented by my reaching out as I was by her kind words and encouragement. We last touched base after LC's Toronto show in December, as she was always so interested in following both his tours and the meetups of her FRIENDS. And that capitalization is what I will forever remember her for, how she embraced me and embraced this community of FRIENDS. My sense is that this is how she embraced LIFE and the WORLD.

I felt like I knew Arlene more than I've known people I've actually known. Her sincerity and positivity was inspiring.

Dear Arlene,

Rest in peacefulness and love. Thank you.

Love,

John K.

Return to “News”