Sad news: Arlene Dick has passed away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
burningviolin

Re: Sad news: Arlene Dick has passed away

Post by burningviolin »

Oh gosh I am so very sorry to hear of Arlenes passing. She is, and will be, sorely missed. I never got to actually meet her (though were were both in Las Vegas) but from interacting with her here and elsewhere it was obvious what a plucky and lovely lady she was. I just love that video that she took at the Grammy's ceremony! Condolences to her family and may she rest in peace.
Last edited by burningviolin on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Yes, I too had a PM or two from Arlene, even though we sometimes saw things differently, we both saw there were two sides.

I hope the family know what to play for Arlene.

RIP Arlene
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
LC&LC

Post by LC&LC »

It is a very sad news; I had never met Arlene, but always enjoyed reading her posts and comments...
I feel sad for my friends who will miss her, and would like to extend my sympathy to her relatives
2009: Paris, Nimes, Barcelona, 2010: Caen, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Las Vegas, 2012: Ghent x2, London, Verona, Paris x3, Barcelona, Madrid, NYC, Brooklyn, 2013: NYCx2, Paris, London, Brussels, Rome, Lucca, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Pula, Manchester, London, Amsterdam, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney Opera House
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

arlene,
you will always stay in my mind for being so brave!
met you first in krakow, taking pictures of everybody,
then in ghent we walked together the street from st.pieter to the bar.
i still see you in berlin climbing up the extrem high stairs of the waldbühne...
you gave me the impression: don´t give up, even you could feel desperate.
hello dear arlene + dear arlene good by
ute
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
Henning

Post by Henning »

We met in Krakow first. She said she liked the song I sang at the open mic. I sang it again this morning when I read about her. Goodbye Arlene.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

jarkko wrote:We [...] will always remember her and her mysterious smile!
I think she would like that description.

RIP.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

So sad. Although we have never met, she was a special person to me. Rest in peace, dear Arlene.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Although this sad news was not unexpected, I can't keep the tears from flowing. For as tiny as she was, Arlene was in many ways bigger than life. As each new health problem surfaced, she seemed to become even more determined to not let it affect her life. Her travel (all for Leonard) in the past few years, set a pace that few others could match, and she gifted us through her many videos and the creation of Arlene's Blogspot.

Arlene was opinionated, irascible, funny, and had a heart of gold. Personally I will miss her deeply, and am so thankful for a couple of days in Seattle last fall.

She loved her son, Leonard.....and her other Leonard. I'm so glad she had the loving presence of one, and the voice of the other to guide her through the passage.

Sweet sleep Arlene....
Winnaar58

Post by Winnaar58 »

Rest in piece Arlene
"And I thank you for those items that you sent me " (First we take Manhattan. Leonard Cohen.)
I didn´t kill myself when things went wrong
I didn´t turn to drugs or teaching
I tried to sleep, but when I couldn´t sleep
I learned to write.
I learned to write what might be read
on nights like this by one like me.

(Leonard Cohen)
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

I was saddened by this mornings news. She was a lovely lady who I admired.

I first met Arlene before the concert in San Jose and we immediately made a connection. Arlene was a powerhouse of drive and determination and I always admired her energy. It gave me strength when I was feeling weary.
I felt that Arlene was ever present on-line , watching over the LC forum , Facebook and other sources of LC interest and Arlene was nearly always the first to comment with her words of praise and encouragement when I uploaded a video to YouTube.

I will truly miss her.

I like to think that for me Arlene will always be on-line.

My condolences to her family.
RIP Arlene.

Albert
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
Caren

Post by Caren »

Rest in peace, dear Arlene. You will be dearly missed and never forgotten.

Arlene's blog was a joy to read and her enthusiasm contagious. I am grateful for the brief moments we had met in person and the few messages we exchanged. This is very sad.

Thank you Sharon for letting us know.
1990s Berlin 2008:Amsterdam-Berlin-Hamburg-London RAH 2009:Berlin-Barcelona 2010:Odense-Berlin-Gent x3 -Wiesbaden-Marseille-Hannover-Las Vegas x2 2012:Gent x5 -Amsterdam x2 -Berlin-London-Verona-Toulon-Paris x2 -Barcelona 2013:Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

I am so very sad to hear of Arlene's passing. Like others I knew that she was very ill but it is still a shock to think that she has gone. I first met Arlene in Las Vegas in 2009; our paths crossed again in Krakow and later that year in Las Vegas once again.

Arlene was truly one of a kind. I admired her energy, enthusiasm and determination. When I woke this morning and read the news the tears fell but I have been reading some of Arlene's post and watching her videos and can't help but smile. For me the following thread sums up Arlene. She was fearless and her dedication to Leonard was admirable.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20759&hilit=arlene+grammy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8alSKsAA6wY

My sympathies to son Leonard, her precious grandchildren and all her friends throughout the world. I'll miss you, Arlene.

Mary
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

My deepest sympathy to family and friends.

A lady so great and a "companion in Cohen" passing to a better world is something that leaves one to miss and remember her forever, and grateful for having known her.

"You who had the honour of her evening" :

"Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality." - Emily Dickinson

Rest in Peace Arlene Dick.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
rike

Post by rike »

Very sad news this morning. Deep condolences to her family.
As ladydi wrote,
"She loved her son, Leonard.....and her other Leonard. I'm so glad she had the loving presence of one, and the voice of the other to guide her through the passage."
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
regensburg

Post by regensburg »

So sorry to hear that Arlene passed away. My condolences go out to her Family. May she rest in Peace. Thank you for all the beautiful memories you left for us. We will never forget you.

Return to “News”