LC Walking Weekend (2009 - 2017)

Everything about our biennial Walking Weekends in just one record-long thread!
Travelingladiesman

Re: LC Walking Weekend (2009, 2011, 2013)

Post by Travelingladiesman »

Hello Ken,

Speaking of the Roisin Dubh:

I'll be there on Saturday night:
(from the Galway Advertiser 24 Jan)
Martha Wainwright to play Róisín Dubh
Galway Advertiser, January 24, 2013.
MARTHA WAINWRIGHT, the Canadian-American singer-songwriter, daughter of Loudon Wainwright III and Kate McGarrigle, and sister of Rufus, is coming to Galway.
The Montreal born singer-songwriter plays the Róisín Dubh on Saturday February 2 at 8pm. She will perform songs from her fine new album Come Home To Mama - her first collection of original music in four years - as well as from her previous three albums.
Come Home To Mama was inspired by the joys and sorrows which have come Martha’s way in the last four years - she gave birth to her first child Arcangelo in 2009, but the following year, her mother, one of Canada’s most revered folk-singers, passed away from cancer. Kate made her last public appearance, with Rufus and Martha, at London’s Royal Albert Hall, just six weeks before her death.
“This record is a culmination of my life experiences so far,” Martha said. “Everything changed for me a couple of years ago and this record is a representation of that. I’ve made this record as a motherless child and as a mother. Two things I had never been before. For me, it is a new beginning.”
The album was praised by Pitchfork which said: “As an expression of motherhood - whose, it barely matters - it’s hard to imagine anything better.”
Martha’s live performances have also received glowing reviews. Spin.com described her thus: “Slowly strumming her guitar and alone on stage with a powerful voice, she knew she had the crowd wrapped around her finger.”
Tickets are available at www.roisindubh.net, from the Ticket Desk at OMG, Shop Street (formerly Zhivago), and The Róisín Dubh.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

sounds like a goodnight joe but speaking for meself i've had me fill of canadian singer/songwriters for the time being

with you being a much respected and influential pillar of galway society any chance of pullin' a few strings and getting the real mccoy in the form of christy himself up on stage of the roisin dubh while we are there...when he came up for the festival last year you culchies stuck him a leaky tent down by the river with a right load of old drunks...i'm sure it would be nice for christy to be able to play in a proper venue in the city of tribes for a change

if it helps i know that father lyng of st augustines is a big fan of christy so have a word with him

ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Pete wrote:Hi Andrea
I'm in the same league as you so I won't be Billy No Mates.
I class myself as a tall short walker...or I could say a long short walker

Pete
Pete I should be careful when you describe your physical appearance as I used to say to people " I am only little but I'm thick" and I got some very funny looks of sympathy
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
linmag

Post by linmag »

Thanks to Diane for directing me to this thread, I don't think I would have spotted it otherwise. I'm so glad that there are some 'short' walkers going, as I don't think I could keep up with all you real serious folks. I'll have a chat to John before I book us up formally, though I'm sure he realises he has a position to maintain as one of the first eight up that hill the first eight walked up the day before we all went up the one with the railway.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
Diane

Post by Diane »

we look forward to seeing you both on the list Linda! Would you pass on a request for John to bring his hat again as it looks so cool in the pics.
Caren

Post by Caren »

According to the website 77 out of 88 participants have booked already. I am very much looking forward to this and to seeing you all.

Now that the concert in Rotterdam has been announced we will have to change our flights but there seem to be excellent connections. In case anyone else is thinking about going to the concert in Rotterdam the evening before - there are 'Hispeed' trains going from Rotterdam to Schiphol airport/Amsterdam in just 25 minutes.
1990s Berlin 2008:Amsterdam-Berlin-Hamburg-London RAH 2009:Berlin-Barcelona 2010:Odense-Berlin-Gent x3 -Wiesbaden-Marseille-Hannover-Las Vegas x2 2012:Gent x5 -Amsterdam x2 -Berlin-London-Verona-Toulon-Paris x2 -Barcelona 2013:Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

Hi Caren,

We are in the same situation, we will try to take the same plane.
We can mail about this later this week.

Wybe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
Caren

Post by Caren »

Hi Wybe,

that sounds like a very nice idea. Let's do this : )

Take care, Caren
1990s Berlin 2008:Amsterdam-Berlin-Hamburg-London RAH 2009:Berlin-Barcelona 2010:Odense-Berlin-Gent x3 -Wiesbaden-Marseille-Hannover-Las Vegas x2 2012:Gent x5 -Amsterdam x2 -Berlin-London-Verona-Toulon-Paris x2 -Barcelona 2013:Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
Padma

Post by Padma »

Why has this walking weekend been arranged during term-time?
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver »

Hi All,
Flights to Dublin from Liverpool with RyanAir (unfortunately) for the period around the walking weekend are quite cheap at the moment

approximately less than £70 return without any addons.

Knock is slightly more expensive but still less than £80
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Hi everyone
Unfortunately due to my ongoing medical treatment I am afraid we will not be able to make Galway . We are both devastated as you can probably imagine . As soon as T is all behind me we intend to catch up with everybody but for the time being Jean and I would like to send you all love and best wishes and make sure you all enjoy the event
All the best
Jean and Phil
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
margaret

Post by margaret »

So sorry to hear that. I hope all goes well. Very best wishes to you and Jean. One day we will have our mini meet-up in Yorkshire :)

Margaret
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Here is an updated list of our participants.
1. Joe Costello, Ireland
2. Bernadine Lynham, Ireland
3-4. Henning & Elke Franz, Germany
5. Ken Forsyth, UK
6-7. Pirkko & Martti Muller, Finland
8-9. Eija & Jarkko Arjatsalo, Finland
10. Sinikka Hiljanen, Finland
11. Ciaran Dorr, UK
12. Ingrid Pottier, Belgium
13-14. Caren Gutschmidt & Hans Kloss, Germany
15-16. Anne & Joe Way, WI, USA
17-18. Juliana Erkkonen & Peter Akerstrom, Finland
19. Beatriz Sallés, Spain
20. Des Moore, Ireland
21. Diane Williams, UK
22. Margaret Humphries, UK
23. Deirdre Mellon, Ireland
24. Paula Jenkins, UK
25-26. Willy & Wijbe Lageveen, Holland
27. Trish O’Connell, Ireland
28. Dave Everatt, UK
29. Nuala Keeher, Ireland
30. Christopher Franz, Germany
31. Judy Remy, France
32. Sheila O’Mahony, Ireland
33-34. Annemarie & Peadar Ryan, Ireland
35. Paula McCann, Ireland
36. Cliona, Ireland
37-38. Maura and Cecile, Ireland/France
39. Afric Prendergast, Ireland
40-41. Marian Hutchinson & Helen McSweeney, Ireland
42-43. Eddy Massa & Ann Mechiels, Belgium
44-45. Carmela and Hadassah, Israel
46-47. Carys & John Parry, UK
48. Tineke van der Does, Holland
49. Anne Bartels, Germany
50. Liz Valleron, France
51. Murt Forde, Ireland
52. Eddie Higgins, Ireland
53. Caroline Thomas, Ireland
54. Maureen Canavan, Ireland
55. Brid Brophy, Ireland
56. Vincent Browne, Ireland
57-59. Lia, Dick and Inke van Zwietering, Holland
60. Pete Needham, UK
61. Eric Stapleton, Ireland
62. Paul Brown, Ireland
63. Maureen Canavan, Ireland
64. Tuija Varjoranta, Finland
65. Hugo Seale, Ireland
66. Denise Hogan, Ireland
67-68. Tom O'Leary & Bernie McKenna, UK
69-71. Linda & John & Hazel Morris, UK
72. Paul Browne, Ireland
73. Brian Arkins, Ireland
74. John Conway, Ireland
75. Ray Dooley, Ireland
76. Liam Kirrane, Ireland
77-78. Greg & Mary Cotter, Ireland
79. Pauline Ryan, Ireland
80. Denis Browne, Ireland
81. Jimmy Brick, Ireland

Listed on August 29.
FUTURE UPDATES ON PAGE 143 of this thread
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

sorry to hear that phil..... both you and jean will be with us spirit...and put my name down for the yorkshire weekend....preferably it's not going to be in the busy rhubarb harvest season...

....thanks for the update jarkko

...and any word from the organisers about the weekend's itinerary?

ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I continue to update the list of participants for Joe every time we have a new reservation or one of the registrants wants to be removed from the list.

It will be very important for Joe to know the exact number of members coming to Galway. He has to make binding reservations for the busses, restaurants and so on.

So PLEASE everybody now in the list: if you are NOT coming to Galway (are going to Amsterdam instead, or cannot travel at all), let us know as soon as you have made your final decision --- OR if you plan to join us but are not yet listed, it's time to register now (by email to Joe and me)!!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||

Return to “Walking Weekends (2009 - 2023)”