CONCERT REPORT: Québec City, Québec - December 2, 2012

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
LisaLCFan

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Québec City, Québec - December 2, 2012

Post by LisaLCFan »

Thanks, Joy, for the beautiful concert report. It is so wonderful that many people, including those of us who have been privileged to have seen Leonard a few times before, are finding some of these new concerts to be "the best" we've seen! I did not think that Leonard and the band could top what I experienced in 08-10, and yet, they've done it. We are so fortunate!
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Joy, the magic of that night is so powerful that it made its ways in your post, where it is palpable as well. Thank you! :)
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Thank you so much Joy, Tchoco and everyone else-we live vicariously through these reports! From Austin to Chicago, I agree that this has been the best that Leonard and the band has sounded and the whole production of lighting and stage decor increases in beauty.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox »

There is only one thing I would like to add to the other favourable posts on the Quebec concert. It's in regards to the Webb Sister's performance of "If It Be Your Will".

This was my 7th Cohen show since 2008. Suffice it to say music performed live, in real time, is subject to small human imperfections. Even the best musicians know this is inevitable - a slightly misplucked string, an extra key snagged during an organ riff, a cymbal crash that was just a bit light.

Except the Quebec City performance of "If It Be Your Will". Ever guitar note, every pluck of the harp, each vocal phase, every inflection in the voices - was - absolutely - perfect. Not a fret buzz, not a muted harp string, not a hesitation in a voice. I hope this was recorded for a future BluRay.
An Unbelievable Performance after which I briefly believed there may not be a crack in everything afterall. ;-)
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Steve Wilcox wrote:An Unbelievable Performance after which I briefly believed there may not be a crack in everything afterall. ;-)
Love it! And I know exactly what you mean - Mark and I just kept sighing in amazement all evening :D

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Here are three great photos from Sunday evening, kindly sent to me by Steve (birminghamfan):
P1040679.jpg
P1040677.jpg
P1040673.jpg
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

joyezekiel wrote:Here are three great photos from Sunday evening, kindly sent to me by Steve (birminghamfan):
Thanks Joy. Please tell Steve his photos are great, pass along my thanks and please give him my regards.

----Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Wirebird

Post by Wirebird »

85: Oslo 88: Oslo (2x) 93: Oslo 08: Gothenburg 09: Langesund; Bratislava; Prague 10: Malmø; Oslo; Oakland (2x); Las Vegas (2x)
12: Ghent (2x); Halden; Gothenburg; Helsinki; London; Verona; Paris (2x); Lisboa; Montreal (2x); Quebec; NYC; Brooklyn
13: Memphis, New Orleans, Louisville, London (2x), Antwerp, Mannheim, Brussels, Rome, Pula, Stockholm, Odense, Oslo, Bournemouth, Brighton, Birmingham, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Wellington (2x), Auckland.
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Oh Henry! Thank you - you got all the "best" ones (if I dare say that) from that wonderful evening! Bravo!

Joy
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Wonderful, Henry. Thanks! :D
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Fabulous videos Wirebird. Thank you. :D
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
birminghamfan

Post by birminghamfan »

Arlene - thank you ! I hope all is well for you - and hope to meet up again in the USA next year
' somewhere down the road ' as Leonard would say ! In the meantime - take care
Steve
birminghamfan

Post by birminghamfan »

Some more pictures from Quebec City..
P1040669.jpg
P1040670.jpg
casterbridgecohen

Post by casterbridgecohen »

For those of you still following this thread you may be interested in reading an article I wrote that was based on the Leonard Cohen Concert experience and the interaction between Leonard and his fans in general and the concerts in Quebec City and Montreal in particular.

I was writing about the three concerts in Quebec last year as well as my observations at the many concerts I had attended over the last five years.

My article was reproduced in two (or was it three?) music publications and I was both appreciative and a little humbled by the favourable comments it received and
I have now belatedly had the opportunity to make the corrections that were pointed out to me as well as one or two small edits trying to improve on some laboured prose!

If you want to relive those memorable concerts and feelings you can find the article on my website here together with a small selection of the over 5000 images I have taken of Leonard et al in concert in recent years.

http://notesfromanomad.net/2012/12/13/1 ... ec-9-2012/

Like any writer I am always grateful to receive feedback and corrections either here or on my web site!

I apologise for the length but it appears it was well received and struck a chord with most Cohen aficionados.

Michael Bromfield
1970 IOW 2008 Dublin - Manchester - Glastonbury - Berlin - Cardiff - Bournemouth 2009 Vancouver - Victoria - Koln - Nimes - Bratislava - Budapest - Barcelona - L Vegas - San Jose 2010 Salzburg - Basel - Strasbourg - Lille - Victoria - Vancouver - L Vegas(2) 2012 Montreal - Quebec - NYC 2013 London - Amsterdam

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”