CONCERT REPORTS: Montreal, November 28 & 29, 2012

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Montreal,Quebec - November 28th & 29th,2

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by Geneviève Côté - Thanks

Nov 29

Leonard takes the stage at Bell Centre and is greeting with a STANDING OVATION
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b7Yt180-SA
Last edited by sturgess66 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Last edited by sturgess66 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

BEATRIZ SALLES wrote:Looks like this has been a great great concert! So happy for you!

Hope someone had captured the "Show me the place" première on video ;-)
Yes. I have show me the place on video :)
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Last edited by sturgess66 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:31 am, edited 7 times in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

VELOVERMONT wrote:Concert review from " LA PRESSE" in french. Hopefully a GOOGLE translation will appear.

http://www.lapresse.ca/arts/musique/cri ... lement.php
Here it is VELOVERMONT -
2012-11-29 06:44:41.000

Leonard Cohen, Three Hours of Meditation
Leonard Cohen... (Photo Bernard Brault, La Presse)

The scene was a bit surreal: Leonard Cohen recites his deep voice the poem A Thousand Kisses Deep on supporting very discreet synths Neil Larsen on Wednesday night at the Bell Centre. And all around 12,562 spectators quiet, collected, beyond a laugh when Cohen gives the caustic humor and listening to a poem like this is probably not ever produced in a temple of hockey in Montreal.

Since his previous triumphant tour of two and a half years, Leonard Cohen has spent the circuit of theaters in the arenas where its popularity is justified. Including Montreal, his hometown. Wilfrid-Pelletier at the Bell Centre, there is a giant step Cohen and his brilliant musicians and singers have crossed with confidence on Wednesday.

However, here as elsewhere, Cohen does not compromise. On the contrary, arena, his new song Darkness becomes less blues supported on disk, more delicate as in the game of guitarist Mitch Watkins me he appeared when his predecessor Bob Metzger played it at the end the previous tour.

During the first part of the three hours of music, Cohen has focused on listening to the public. He sang classics, Dance Me To The End Of Love to Is not No Cure For Love through Bird on the Wire and Everybody Knows, but there are other songs that made ​​us experience moments of grace the beautiful intro guitarist Javier Mas for Barcelona Who By Fire, the new anthem Come Healing launched by the violin rookie Alexandru Moldovan Bublitchi which combines the rough voice to those of Cohen, angelic, his three backup singers, In My Secret Life warmly applauded for its beautiful vocal harmonies, and moving - and aptly named - Anthem.

After the intermission, Cohen thanked the public for its sound quality by making him some gifts that The Partisan he had not played in Montreal in 2008 and, more than all the other songs in the program has shows the combined wealth of guitars Cohen, Mitch Watkins, Javier Mas and violin Bublitchi. Then, after a few words to the song Alexandra Leaving, he confided to the warm voice of one with whom he wrote, Sharon Robinson. As he was, recall, let Webb Sisters If It Be Your appropriating Will, as enchanting as the first time.

{VIDEO LINK - Dance Me To The End Of Love - http://bit.ly/114Es5Y ]

Otherwise, in addition to songs from new album Old Ideas, well integrated, the directory has not changed. With this different than the violin brings to Cohen's songs, including Suzanne sober, more soul and warmth that could provide them with the electronic lutherie Dino Soldo. Maybe it was there Wednesday night not magic and surprise of unexpected reunion of four years ago, but the music was over, performed by artists more welded.

And he came to see that all is always impressive. While Watkins, and Mas Bublitchi play sitting for most of the evening standing Cohen sings, he kneels down and picks up frequently with a flexibility that would be the envy of those who do not have half of its 78 years. The little man is less talkative than four years ago, but he speaks the truth and self-deprecating mania better than anyone, as when returning from the intermission he thanked the people not to be returned home.

Fortunately they stayed. They would not bite Cohen heard the text of Hallelujah and push his voice in the irresistible So Long Marianne. They would not have smiled upon seeing the actor playing him I'm Your Man and pay the head of the 'lazy bastard living in a suit' for Going Home. And they have not seen dancing during the swarming First We Take Manhattan and exit stage frolicking with the air of saying I could do another hour if it was not already 23:40.

Leonard Cohen is at it again tonight at the Bell Centre and Sunday at the Quebec Coliseum.
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

cohenadmirer wrote:
BEATRIZ SALLES wrote:Looks like this has been a great great concert! So happy for you!

Hope someone had captured the "Show me the place" première on video ;-)
Yes. I have show me the place on video :)

Ha, ha, ha I knew you were going to be our ears and eyes in Montreal!! Thank you David!
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Lots of tweets and texting that Leonard Cohen performed a cover of Georges Dor's "La Manic" at the Montreal second concert.

Here is the link to a post on my Leonard Cohen Scrapbook with some background information about the song.

Leonard Cohen Performs Beloved French-Canadian Song "La Manic" by Georges Dor at Montreal Concert 2, Nov 29.12

http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com/2012 ... rench.html

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Arlene,

Thank you so much for this info AND for the video!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
VELOVERMONT

Post by VELOVERMONT »

If yesterday's concert ( 28) was great, tonight's concert was magic in many ways.

As quoted and detailed in preceeding posts, Leonard had the utmost ELEGANCY, being in his mostly french speaking hometown, to make the exceptional move of singing a song with french lyrics dear to quebecers' heart : La Manic . Exceptional was also the fact ( at my knowledge at least) for Leonard not to sing a song duly his.

In French he announced he would be singing a song he had not composed, and went to introduce " La Manic"

You dont make it more classy. It will surely be on Quebec's set list

The rendition was superb, and deserves an uploading on this site.
montreal 2008; montreal 2012x2
mutti

Post by mutti »

Tonight's concert was even better than last night! I would have to say it is the best I have ever seen! I mean it...sure I would have liked particular songs that weren't sung but this is what makes each concert unique.
I seem to say this a lot as each concert I see is more magical and powerful than the one before. The crowd tonight was totally enthusiastic and Leonard seemed to be enjoying himself. Some of his dance moves to his own words were a delight to watch unfold.
When he sang La Manic the crowds went wild with pride and cheers.
I especially liked standing and dancing for all the encores as again they let the front row go right up to the stage barrier. That was something I only experienced in Sligo but this time no one was pushing for a spot and it was very sweet.
I have so much more to say but have to go to sleep after 2 night's in a row.
THANK YOU AGAIN LEONARD!
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk »

Best Leonard Cohen concert I have ever been to. Two songs in French opened the hearts of a lot of Montrealers. A 3 hour and 40 minute show was much more than could be hoped for.
Jack
Everything being said to you is true; Imagine of what it is true.
foxymona

Post by foxymona »

I am overwhelmed by two nights in a row of bliss. Last night was wonderful and tonight even topped that...an uplifting, sublime night of Leonard.

The joy and energy he showed tonight was so magical, I came home and purchased a ticket for Kingston on the 13th. Lucked out with a front row seat!!

Now I don't feel so bad that the Montreal shows are over.

It was wonderful to meet so many forum members over the last 2 days.

I hope to keep in touch,

To Leonard and to the Cohenites,
Thank you
Mona
Montreal 2008; Fort Lauderdale 2009, Montreal 2012 X 2, Kingston 2012
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

WOW! Must be the magic of performing in his hometown - thank you Leslie and Jack and Mona for your speedy reviews. It is greatly appreciated!

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Something very special happened in Montreal last night. From the outset, Leonard seemed more relaxed with the first show out of the way. To start with, the audience seemed a little quieter than for night one - until Leonard sang La Manic. Then the banks burst. His choice of song was perfect; he could not have given the people of his home town a better gift. The crowd went wild and from that moment onwards, the love in the room was palpable. You could almost reach out and touch it. There will be more great concerts but I doubt if I will experience anything quite as special as that again.

Thank you Montreal for allowing your visitors to share this moment with you.

Wendy
VELOVERMONT

Post by VELOVERMONT »

Here is one rendition of " La Manic".

Soundwise hopefully a better one will appear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcVqPg3K ... e=youtu.be
montreal 2008; montreal 2012x2

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”