CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
musicmania

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin Sept 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Post by musicmania »

I'll report more tomorrow as on mobile now but just want to say about the people walking around really annoyed me and I am Irish! We were beside a walkway so it was a constant irritation. I just about blocked it out for Light as the Breeze and Hallelujah. We have a similar position tonight. Grr. Thankfully we didn't have much talking around us til we moved to the barrier and during FBR this woman started. I told her to shut the fuck up which she did.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Bird off the Wire

Post by Bird off the Wire »

I take it you're also a Springsteen fan - I think invented that phrase -STFU!!!
Joan

Post by Joan »

Thanks for all the feedback on the 1st Dublin show - can't wait for Friday & Saturday......
Mind you I am sitting by a walkway.....hopefully I can mentally block out 'the restless walkers' - that's one of the reasons why I prefer an indoor concert, people aren't inclined to walk around as much - plus you're weather protected indoors.
If the weather forecast can be believed though, it's gonna be milder and dry for the weekend so hopefully Fri & Sat will be more pleasant for both audience and performers.

Am I right to assume that there's no problem bringing in cameras ?
I'm arriving in Dublin around 2.30pm on Friday - what time would you recommend I head to the venue ?

To those of you going tonight - have a terrific night ( and do leave some merchandise for the rest of us at the weekend :) )

Kind Regards, Joan.
annmarie

Post by annmarie »

What a fantastic night, if it weren't for the COLD :!: It was seriously bone chilling even with wooly jumpers etc.
A few people remarked that Leonard was a bit "subdued" in the earlier part of the show, and I think some report here mentions it too. I'm sure the cold got to the band too, Sharon put on a wooly scarf shortly after the start.
Thankfully that's the only negative from me :)
We didn't get to the Brazen Head, but it was nice to meet some forum members. Thank you Gwen for the beautiful name tags :) :)
We were so lucky with our seats, couldn't believe it :!: We expected Row J in Block6 to be many rows from the front. Imagine our delight when it turned out to be front row.......brilliant seats, surrounded by nice fans and very little disruption thanks to a fantastic security man. Perfect place too for the inevitable rush to the front stage for the encore.
I feel sorry for people who had to endure so many interruptions. We're in Block4 tonight, so hope people are better behaved!
I'm looking forward to all the reports, and I'm sure there will be many pages. Very relieved to see that Albert Noonan was on hand :D
Looking forward to tonight, thermals and all! Let's hope we get more of the same magical music, some old and lots of Old Ideas..........and Marianne of course ;-) No problem re cameras, but security people won't allow you to get near the stage during the show.
Anne and Owen
Harriet175

Post by Harriet175 »

Greg Ross wrote: Which segues into the weather … it didn’t rain, but dear God it got COLD: Bone-aching cold. Our fault, we just weren’t prepared and during the second half, we were beyond comfort, just feeling almost ill with the cold. Now I’m 61 and my legs and bones were aching, what really concerns and disturbs me, is having a 78 year old out on stage in those conditions. As much as I want to see Leonard perform, I simply don’t think it was right. By concert’s end, his nose was running and you could feel the cold had sapped him, athough he and the band gave us everything, including comments about the weather.
Thank you for reports and pictures.
love the photo with the rainbow rising above the stage!!! Weather & sky looking benevolent on the pictures – and Leonard stunning with the grey light shawl.
Still, rather lightly dressed for cold weather.

Yes, that’s what i was thinking, it doesn’t feel exactly right especially for Leonard, and also the others, singing and playing with running noses and frozen limbs in the cold...And then nearly four nights in a row. Is a Tour Organiser saving money with outside venues? Outside venues may be easier to book, i guess, and more available timewise. They should have distributed free Irish Wiskey to make up for the cold.

Photo by Greg Ross – Greg, may i post your picture, here? Easier for all to see.
sky anticipating the music and arrival of the UHTC
Dublin 11 Sept by Greg Ross.jpg
...a tune in my soul
and my heart the shape of a begging bowl

2008: 25 jul Lörrach, 29 oct Frankfurt 2009: 1 jul Cologn 2010: 3 sept Wiesbaden, 19 sept Strasbourg, 29 sept Dortmund, 1 oct Stuttgart
2012: 5 sept Berlin 6 sept Mönchengladbach 29+30 sept Paris 2013: 25 jun Oberhausen, 28 jun Mannheim, 14 jul Hamburg, 24 aug Zürich
keanrn5y

Post by keanrn5y »

Just saw the setlist from last night. Looks to have been a fantastic show. Anyone make note of what time he came on stage and what time it was over? Also, since this song has not been played in any shows yet, has Joan of Arc appeared in any of the soundchecks from any of the other shows?
bluebell

Post by bluebell »

I was there last night too.
Fabulous show. Length of time Leonard stays on stage in amazing and much appreciated.
Easy solution to problem of wanderers is to stop selling drinks during the show though I presume a lot of money is made from this.
Other possibility would be for security to only allow people back to their seats at the end of a song.
Dublin 1988, 2008,2009, Belfast 2009, Bratislava 2009, Gent 2010, Dublin 2012
loki17ie

Post by loki17ie »

Leonard was on stage at 7.15 and apart from interval break he was there until 11.
2008 Kilmainham (Dublin), Amsterdam
2009 O2 (Dublin), Nimes
2010 Lissadell (Sligo),
2012 Kilmainham (Dublin)
2013 Bercy (Paris), O2 Dublin
There's a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
loki17ie

Post by loki17ie »

I am sure that at the last concert in Kilmainham that they stopped serving drink once the concert started. Was surprised to see so many people buying drink during show.
2008 Kilmainham (Dublin), Amsterdam
2009 O2 (Dublin), Nimes
2010 Lissadell (Sligo),
2012 Kilmainham (Dublin)
2013 Bercy (Paris), O2 Dublin
There's a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
Deepinthedesert

Post by Deepinthedesert »

Last night (11 Sept) was my fourth leonard concert, and I think the best so far.

Some logistical issues - entry is via the Military Road entrance (the eastern side) and the Kilmainham Gate is closed. It takes about 10 minutes to walk around from the Kilmainham side. The traffic around Kilmainham is dire, so park the car somewhere else (we parked in St James's Hospital).

There is a good choice of food inside, reasonably priced. The seafood paella was pronounced good, although my chicken noodles (€8.50) was more 'chicken little' noodles. Bags are searched on the way in, but I saw some people with their food and drink. A flask with hot beverage would be a good idea as it was really bone chillingly cold. Bring a towel to dry up the seats (there was a heavy rain shower before we arrived), then put a thick newspaper or a cushion on the seat. Sweaters, fleeces, hats, gloves, thermal socks, boots or shoes (no sandals!) are essential and you'll be so cold you won't be able to enjoy the experience. A blanket is recommended as well.

The concert started on the dot of 7.15, and the encores finished 11.00pm. It took ages to get out of the venue so it might be better to hang around for 10 minutes or so to let the crowds out.

Lots of toilets, but the queueing system was abysmal - it improved when someone widened the entrance/exit.

The constant movement of people was annoying. Please don't blame the Irish - there were lots of other nationalities on their feet as well.

But despite all that, it was sublime. I just hope Leonard and the ladies and lads don't get pneumonia and deprive Dublin of their beautiful harmonies over the next few days.
Last edited by Deepinthedesert on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
margaret

Post by margaret »

Let's hope that Leonard and the band are all wearing thermals under their suits for the next shows.

It really is not healthy for them or the audience to bear such cold and discomfort.
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Cameras are fine once they are not professional. I didn't take my usual number of photos as I was to cold plus impossible to take them with all the wanderers. Then during the encores I thought a POD guy was stopping me so I put knit camera away. Turns out he was offering to take a photo off me LOL.

Bird Off The Wire, yes I am a Springseen fan but didn't know that.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Galway

Post by Galway »

Having an outdoor concert at this time of year is not a great idea. Hope poor Leonard and his great band dont get pneumonia. These concerts should be in the O2 everyone would be more comfortable. The bar situation would not be any better, I was at a concert in the O2 recently and people wandered around drinking and talking loudly all night. Bars should close for the duration of concerts. Having said all this, what happened ON stage was excellent. If anyone has a direct line to the promoters, please get West gate open before concert for Friday and Saturday.
Last edited by Galway on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

SEPTEMBER 11TH.

So finally after nearly 4 years of hearing how magical Kilmainham was I got to see what all the fuss was about! and I suppose it was magical really as there was a really nice, chilled out, festival atmosphere with seemingly everyone in good spirits. But of course the cold really took from it. I really don't know how the lady who was sitting next to me managed to survive at all as she had on a light cardigan rather than a coat. (even so she seemed to be really enjoying it.) Somewhat_Nifty and I had to huddle together!!

I didn't think that the first half was that subdued, I thought Dance me, The Future and Everybody Knows were particularly rousing but then I was a complete heretic and I got up as I had to use the facilities (a by product of the cold!!!) and I stood at the back for a while and (gasp) I had a cup of tea, not so much to drink it but to warm up my hands. Apart from the cold and needing to use the facilities I was interested to see what it was like at the back of a LC concert anyway as always the goal has been to get as close to the stage as possible. So having been ront row in Wembley it was really interesting to note that the sound was quite excellent at the back and the atmosphere just as good. LC can still draw you in at a distance! In fairness there were seemingly hordes of people walking around and I think when a few of the new numbers started thats when there started to be 'traffic'. I took a few videos from the back that I will post eventually.

There were lots of highlights to this concert, songs that didn't really grab me before or that I thought I'd gotten bored of jumped out at me again. Not sure if my eyes were watering from the cold or if that might have been a few tears during Hallelujah. Night comes on is a real favourite and I can't forget was probably my top favourite. Quite a few people were singing along (nicely, not shouty drunk) where I was sitting. During Alexandra Leaving there was one drunk lady 4 or 5 seats up from us who was actually hillarious, of course she was probably not so funny for those sitting right next to her if that was your favourite song but she was like the human echo! I couldn't quite figure out if she actually knew the words or not or was playing Simon says with Sharon...

All in all for an outdoor concert in September at which it stayed dry, it was a huge success! Despite the cold the band managed to play, I don't know how they did it. I find it next to impossible to play when my fingers go cold as my hands end up cramping up but well done to them. Also well done to oor Javier, his arch laud (is that the big one, sorry don't know name?) was out of tune at the start of Who By Fire (probably due to the cold) and he had to tune it while playing but he did well to carry on.

One wonders why they chose an outdoor venue at this time of year, it's not nice to see LC having to keep wiping his nose. It would have been a completely different atmosphere if it were indoors but would have cut out/down the wanderers (including me!) and been a lot less stressful.

I thought the venue was well laid out but that the grass will probably get very mushy by the time it gets to Saturday night. I especially loved the flags that were dotted around,they looked like prayer flags, the entrance arch and the big backdrops up by the stage. They could certainly do with way more womens loos and just put the loo paper in the cubicles!!! No need to ration it! I didn't think it took that long to get out of the venue, it is a bit of a long walk into and out of it though for anyone with mobility issues.

Ps. Leonard seemed to be in particularly fine voice. Apart from the emotion he puts into the songs, technically, he was as far as I could hear bang in tune and singing really sweetly! Fair play to him and God bless his energy. Having been to a fair few concerts now at this stage I would have loved to be able to thank him in person for coming back to Ireland but alas, while I did see him walking into his hotel with Sharon Robinson, it would have been wrong to interrupt him.
Last edited by burningviolin on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
minnie

Post by minnie »

Last night was superb. Walking with thousands of others through the beautiful grounds beforehand had the air of a pilgrimage. The clear, cool evening was filled with reverence and hope. As I turned into the concert area I saw the huge domed roof of the stage miraculously mirrored by an intensely beautiful double rainbow.

Leonard Cohen and the band were tremendous. The sound was pure and each utterance crystal clear. His baritone voice plunged into the bowels of the cold earth last night and warmed my heart.

I would only put myself through an outdoor concert for his music. So happy I did; the evening was sublime. So much so that I scoured ticketmaster and booked another ticket for Saturday.

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”