Invitation to the Madison Event

The Madison Event - before and after
Joe Way

Invitation to the Madison Event

Post by Joe Way »

Dear friends,
This is a post inspired by Wybe's slideshow that he made from the recent Haiger walking weekend. Perhaps he can post it here, too.

I just have to post about how great it is to get together with these folks. In 2001, my daughter Emily visited me in my office on campus and I shared how I had registered for the event on Hydra in 2002. She said something to the effect that it was a real "honor" to have parents that were "beautiful losers." There are not many regrets that we have about our life-but our one regret is missing the event in Montreal (and Edmonton). Hydra was a magical time for us. Anne had insisted that we make plans to tour other Greek sites after the event, but by the time we had met our new friends, she wanted to extend our time with them.

Making these friends is what it is all about. Many of us have seen a lot of terrific Leonard Cohen concerts and while they are great, they are very similar to each other. What gets us there is the chance to see all of these new wonderful friends. I am working hard to make the 2012 event very enjoyable and, though, there is nothing I can promise from a performance standpoint (yet)-what I can promise is a wonderful time with new friends.

I read a number of years ago that people rarely make new friends after high school. I am convinced that the Leonard Cohen community is making terrific in-roads against those statistics.

Nothing has changed my life more for the better than the inspiration to click on an email to Jarkko to say that Anne & I were going to attend Hydra. Our friends now are more like family. One of the things I want to emphasize in the 2012 event is to introduce the newcomers so that they don't feel that they are outsiders from those who have attended past events. Look at the pictures from past events and image your self there and look at the new friendships that you have in store for you.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Wybe
Site Admin

Re: Invitation to the Madison Event

Post by Wybe »

That is wonderful that you are inspired by my slide show. Here it is http://www.icantforget.nl/Haiger2011.html

And for more inspiration there are more videos and slide shows from Cohen fan meetup's on my website.

Wybe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
Winnaar58

Post by Winnaar58 »

I wish everyone who is going to be at The Madison Event the best of times and a marvellous week together.
I didn´t kill myself when things went wrong
I didn´t turn to drugs or teaching
I tried to sleep, but when I couldn´t sleep
I learned to write.
I learned to write what might be read
on nights like this by one like me.

(Leonard Cohen)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thank you so much, and I wish you were going to be there!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

It is going to be a lot of fun. I would like to take this opportunity to express my appreciation for the many people who even though they are not going to be able to attend have supported the event in many ways. Your help and friendship is deeply appreciated and we could not have put this on without you.

We wish you were able to join us, and we will raise a glass in thanks to you during the event.

Joe & Anne
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi Joe,

Want to wish you and everyone attending the best of times at the Madison Event. Very much wish I could be
going. Will await wonderful reports here from those attending. Safe and enjoyable travels to you and
the others.
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi Joe,

I wish you and everyone involved in the Madison Event, a successful and most enjoyable event! I can only hazard a guess as to how much hard work you have personally put into this, but I know it would have been your everything.8) Anyway, everyone concerned, but especially yourself, deserves the best out of it :!:

I think the Open Mic should go well with Adam Mamula at the helm - I remember when he performed in this session at Edmonton in 2008. ;-)

I wish I could be there too, but look forward to reading reports and seeing the related photos etc.

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
mutti

Post by mutti »

I also want to wish all of you who are going to the Madison Event a wonderful fun time!
I look forward to hearing the reports.
I will be there in spirit.
Leslie 8) (Mutti)
Last edited by mutti on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Dear Steven, Andrew & Leslie,
Thank you so much for your good wishes. We wish you were going to be here, but know that you will be with us in spirit.

Warm regards,

Joe
Judy

Post by Judy »

Dear Joe and Anne,
Have a wonderful time ... have a wonderful time everyone ... will be thinking of you and wishing I were there
very best wishes,
Judy
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Dear Judy and Winnaar58,
Thank you so much for your good wishes. It is almost upon us now and I think we are all set for a very fun week. Wish you all could join us!

Love,

Joe & Anne
Anne

Post by Anne »

I am thinking of you all too! I really wish I could be with you, but medical things have kept me away, I hate to say. Doctorly types dont like to reschedule for Cohen events. I dont understand why not! Sending love XXX
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Safe journey to all those flying to Madison.
I wish you a great Leonard event, heating engines for the new tour!
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

I wish I could be there.

Will be thinking of you all and look forward to the stories and photos.

Best wishes Joe and Anne

Love Bernadine xx

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Madison 2012”