When are the next dates and places?

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
John Etherington

Re: When are the next dates and places?

Post by John Etherington »

Regarding the possible London venues mentioned above, The Royal Festival Hall is far and away the best. I've seen the Brian Wilson Band there numerous times and have always managed to get great seats (no agencies involved there). Barbican's probably second best, and they also have their own ticketing system. Not so keen on the Albert Hall - though it was great in the old days when I could easily get front seats for Leonard. Union Chapel's probably a no go (imagine how many days early the queque would start!). I saw Springsteen at Arsenal, and thought it was a ghastly venue. Totally inappropriate for Leonard, even if some elements of LC fandom resemble football supporters, these days! Weybridge could be tempting fate...I've already experienced initation by water once! Otherwise, the Brighton Centre worked well, last time.
1970: London RAH, Isle of Wight 1972: London RAH 1974: London RAH 1976: London RAH, New Victoria x 3, 1979: Hammersmith x3 1985: Hammersmith 1988: London RAH x 2 1993: London RAH x2 2008: Manchester, London O2, London RAH, Brighton 2009: Weybridge, Liverpool, 2012: Wembley, 2013: Brighton, London O2.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

But AEG Live confirmed (as Jarkko said) that all dates to Verona are OPEN AIR... If they will add the planned Istanbul, Bucharest (and Belgrade) shows, that will happen so that after Dublin, September 11-12, they fly to Istanbul, and then proceed back to the west so they can reach Verona on September 25. (The mentioned Bucharest date is Sept 22, Istanbul on Sept 19, Belgrade was 23rd). That means the possible date in London is the day or two before (after Mönchengladbach show) or after the Dublin shows. Btw both venues in Istanbul and Bucharest are closed arenas. Verona on 25th is open air. The interesting fact is that between Dublin and Verona there' still two weeks gap in the itinerary.
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

tomsakic wrote:The interesting fact is that between Dublin and Verona there' still two weeks gap in the itinerary.
There is another promising gap (just 1 week though) between Ghent (17 Aug) and Copenhagen (25 Aug). That is, if they won't fill it with 4 more concerts in Ghent :D
Laura

Post by Laura »

tomsakic wrote: Btw both venues in Istanbul and Bucharest are closed arenas.

I don't exactly understand how this figures in your calculations, Tom, but the venue they mention in Bucharest is simply a square, nothing closed (they just spelled its name wrong). Well, open air in Romania has good chances to be somewhat warmer than open air in the UK!

Laura
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

All these outdoor settings until the end of September sounds a bit daring, considering that freezing night on 5 September, 2010 in St. Margarethen which caused Sharon's serious cold and absence from the rest of the tour in Europe. Not that I won't gladly bear any chilly nights for Leonard but I don't want any of them to get ill. Better hope for a long, warm Indian Summer :)
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

majmunka, are you actually positive it was the weather at St. Margarethen that caused Sharon to get a severe cold and to miss all those concerts? Personally I am not sure, having spoken, albeit briefly, with her just before she left for the gig in Caen (it came as quite a surprise to a few of us that she never actually appeared that night) I didn't see any hint of a severe cold. I was told something quite different the next morning from someone very close to her.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

You might be right, Vicomte, of course we would never know for sure. But St. Margarethen was downright chilly and we couldn't wait the encores to finally jump on our feet and dance a bit. We wore a lot of clothes but it wasn't enough and we could see the band was not comfortable either, despite their coats, scarves and gloves.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

I agree though, majmunka that outside concerts in the rain when fairly warm is one thing but outside when it's cold and raining is just miserable and must take it's toll on the band but I think the crowds are quite happy in the fact they are at a Leonard Cohen concert, whatever the weather :lol:
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Tom, there will be no concert in Beograd (Belgrade).
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

jarkko wrote:Tom, there will be no concert in Beograd (Belgrade).
Is there any hope for Budapest? Even tentative hope :D
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Thanks for the Belgrade news, Jarkko. Let's hope all the 2009-10 cities can make it back in 2013:)

I also think it's tempting... As majmunka said, in St Margarethen im Burgenland on September 5, 2010 it was DEADLY cold although I came from Summertime Zagreb 200 miles south, and I freezed to death, as did the band, and from that night on Sharon's health problems started, as far I can recall.

But few days later, it was hot night in Firenza, according to local fans and our members...

So it all depends on country... If there's gonna be long Indian summer, Verona will be great, but Helsinki is a lottery I'd say:) I guess it's like Burgenland, it can be sunny day but zero degrees at 9pm. I guess Jarkko has better experience... In Central Europe even late August is messy month full of rain, so Berlin can be problematic as well. Our event there in early August 2006 was more or less rainy all the time... And on Aug 3 2009 in Venice we had an enormous storm before the show.

Btw I had only sport jacket in Burgenland...
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Laura wrote:
tomsakic wrote: Btw both venues in Istanbul and Bucharest are closed arenas.

I don't exactly understand how this figures in your calculations, Tom, but the venue they mention in Bucharest is simply a square, nothing closed (they just spelled its name wrong). Well, open air in Romania has good chances to be somewhat warmer than open air in the UK!

Laura
My calculation was "not to check the name, probably the same stadium":::)))) I googled only the Istanbul venue. Yes I see now it says in Romanian "The Constitution Square" (that's how much my Latin helps me:)

Let's hope it happens... so you can get your show:)
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

majmunka wrote:
tomsakic wrote:The interesting fact is that between Dublin and Verona there' still two weeks gap in the itinerary.
There is another promising gap (just 1 week though) between Ghent (17 Aug) and Copenhagen (25 Aug). That is, if they won't fill it with 4 more concerts in Ghent :D
Well, in mid-2000s there were some ideas on this forum that LC doesn't need to tour - he could be giving shows regularly in one city (be it LA or nYC or Montreal, or only venues like London RAH and Paris Olympia) and we would gather regularly like some people are going to Rome or Mecca...... :razz: I guess if the whole tour would stay in Ghent, he would attract 500,000 people in few months run!
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

tomsakic wrote:
majmunka wrote:
Well, in mid-2000s there were some ideas on this forum that LC doesn't need to tour - he could be giving shows regularly in one city (be it LA or nYC or Montreal, or only venues like London RAH and Paris Olympia) and we would gather regularly like some people are going to Rome or Mecca...... :razz: I guess if the whole tour would stay in Ghent, he would attract 500,000 people in few months run!
It would be a good idea but could they choose a bit less expensive city to stay? I booked the cheapest possible place with shared bathroom but it will be about 50 €/day :(
But how cool it would be: one town could host a LC month with concerts almost every nights and we would gather up and attend each of them, filling up the between days with a HUGE LC EVENT :D
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

Sounds a good idea majmunka, but somewhat selfish. Nor everybody who loves Leonard has the means or the opportunity to travel across Continents. It does not make them any less keen, just more unfortunate.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”