World tour or not 2012

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Tony Crosbie

Re: World tour or not 2012

Post by Tony Crosbie »

Tickets put up for sale with no seating plan, Old Ideas Album being sold with tickets when most fans already have one or two for that matter, no dates for the UK (although one or some may be announced later), it is said that US and Canadian dates will be announced in the fall and no mention at all of Australia. The headline I am reading is 'Old Ideas World Tour 2012 - I am beginning to wonder how much thought has gone into the planning of this tour.
and the Johnny Walker wisdom running high
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Tony,

The modern way to arrange a tour is make it up as you go along, add dates at random, and keep people guessing (not just here, but elsewhere as well). Okay for those with unlimited time and money, but not if you need to budget and plan ahead. Note that Leonard's so-called "World Tour 2010" (eyes left) didn't include the U.K. either.

Cheers, John E
Diane

Post by Diane »

John Etherington wrote: if you need to budget and plan ahead.
I agree, John. I wish things were clearer. I am going to Dublin and can't easily afford an additional summer LC UK concert. But if one is announced do I buy a ticket just in case he doesn't return later in the year/next year. The tour management want to sell out earlier concerts, before announcing later ones. It all works to their advantage, but not at all to ours...

While I'm here, I add my thanks to Jarkko and team for the sterling job you do for us here!
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hi Diane,

Agree that Jarkko has always done a great job in every respect (but maybe his team could increase the the maximum board usership! :) ).

The main guess seems to be that the one U.K. gig might be Bestival on the Isle of Wight, since there is apparently one major name to be announced and it would fit in with the tour schedule. I personally couldn't make that, and am not attracted to festivals these days as I don't wish to pay high prices to stand for hours, and be surrounded by"fans" waving banners and holding mobiles in my face. If they could guarantee good weather and put Leonard on in the early hours like I.O.W. 1970, i might consider it!

I would advise you never to buy a ticket "just in case" (especially a standing or open-air ticket). That is, unless you're prepared for the risk of losing the money.

All good things, John E
1970: London RAH, Isle of Wight 1972: London RAH 1974: London RAH 1976: London RAH, New Victoria x 3, 1979: Hammersmith x3 1985: Hammersmith 1988: London RAH x 2 1993: London RAH x2 2008: Manchester, London O2, London RAH, Brighton 2009: Weybridge, Liverpool, 2012: Wembley, 2013: Brighton, London O2.
Tony Crosbie

Post by Tony Crosbie »

I read now that a further date has been added to the Kilmainham concerts in Dublin - Friday 14th September with tickets going on sale on the 19th April.
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

I am just assuming there will be no dates at all in the UK, then IF it does happen it will be a bonus.
I don't understand why so far nothing has been arranged, while it seems easy to arrange things with other countries.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
st theresa1

Post by st theresa1 »

Just thinking--if Adam shows up at the Winnipeg Folk Fest in July--wouldn't it be fun if his Dad met up with him there? Hey a girl can dream--especially when she's no longer a girl--just a kid with a crazy dream.
Tony Crosbie

Post by Tony Crosbie »

For your sake I hope so, st theresa1 but I have a feeling he will be otherwise engaged in his preparations for what is now a European Tour but which will hopefully turn into a World Tour for all his fans by the end of the year. Whether or not he will tour the world I still am in awe of him taking to the road again.
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

Well we now know a fleeting visit to The Kent hop Farm is confirmed. I went to see Bob Dylan here and he was only on for 20 mins and the rest of the groups were c***p, so
count me out. Much as I would love to go, an open air venue in September, with just a slot to fit in between someone else, is not really fair when other countries are having more than one concert in the same venues. Plus we were not even considered on his last tour, I would call this a difinite snub. Sorry Leonard and sorry fellow fans, but I think we have been badly let down for supporting Leonard for so long, to now be ignored.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

lightasabreeze wrote:I would call this a difinite snub. Sorry Leonard and sorry fellow fans, but I think we have been badly let down for supporting Leonard for so long, to now be ignored.
I think Rob Hallett, head of AEG in London, made it pretty clear that there will be more concerts in the UK - apparently next year. So no need to feel snubbed.
UK fans hold on tight
only one in 2012 but this will be a long tour! ; )
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=31722&p=301322#p301322
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

lightasabreeze wrote: Much as I would love to go, an open air venue in September, with just a slot to fit in between someone else, is not really fair.
Press coverage suggests that Hop Farm will be a "normal" LC show of 3 hours or so but with support acts. I'm waiting for more details but I'm definitely not going if it's a concert of the standing in a muddy field variety. Won't be able to do that this year even if I wanted to.

Wendy
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Mabeanie1 wrote:I'm waiting for more details but I'm definitely not going if it's a concert of the standing in a muddy field variety. Won't be able to do that this year even if I wanted to.
Info from stereoboard.com:
Leonard Cohen Tickets will go on general sale from 9am on Friday 13th April 2012, priced from £85.00 for seated tickets and £65.00 for standing.
Tony Crosbie

Post by Tony Crosbie »

I get the feeling that the announcement of Leonard Cohen playing at Hop Farm is NOT what his UK fans expected. Of all the concerts he played around the world in recent years the CD/DVD chosen for sale was LIVE IN LONDON. I would love to know what the problem is in arranging a concert or two in the UK. Strange.
Tony Crosbie

Post by Tony Crosbie »

New European concert date announced - Amsterdam August 21st. I do not like the drip feed of these Leonard Cohen concert dates.
Tony Crosbie

Post by Tony Crosbie »

With the pending announcement, later to-day, of what is believed to be dates for a North American Tour, it now looks like this tour is indeed turning into a World Tour.

Return to “Comments & Questions”