Spanish songwriter Joaquin Sabina, adapts (destroys) 'Old Id

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
valentin

Spanish songwriter Joaquin Sabina, adapts (destroys) 'Old Id

Post by valentin »

http://jenesaispop.com/2012/01/10/escuc ... ard-cohen/

http://www.publico.es/416216/joaquin-sa ... nard-cohen

The singer and columnist Joaquín Sabina Public translated into Spanish and adapted the lyrics of the ten songs that make up the new album by Leonard Cohen, Old Ideas, to be released in Spain on January 31.

The album, designed by Cohen himself, will include original scores and a booklet with free adaptations of Sabina, according to Sony Music.

Canadian author adds the label, this new work dedicated to its most spiritual, looking for references near the compassion and decency.

Some of the songs that make the selection and have been heard on the tour that the musician has just ended, and Darkness, which is the second cut which will promote the album after Show me the place.

Along with Cohen's voice are other women like Sharon Robinson, The Webb Sisters, Jennifer Warnes and Dana Glover, says Sony.

“Dime un lugar
donde quieres que vaya tu esclavo,
dime un lugar
puede ser que se me haya olvidado,
dime un lugar
he perdido mi cresta de gallo,
dime un lugar
donde quieres que vaya tu esclavo

Vino un alud
de problemas, salvé como pude
un hilo de luz,
una ola, un rabo de nube
entre cadenas,
me apuré por quererte al dictado,
entre cadenas
te adoré como adora un esclavo”

Mr. Cohen is aware of the destruction to which you are having your work?

Sony can explain the abuse of their songs?
Verde que te quiero verde...
BEATRIZ SALLES

Re: Spanish songwriter Joaquin Sabina, adapts (destroys) 'Ol

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Qué fuerte!
Sorry but I had to say it in Spanish..... Awful "version", never translation, of Show me the place.
I don't think LC knows about this.... It must have been a Sony thing for sure :cry: :cry:
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
Chema

Post by Chema »

In Argentina, papers have published the same information http://www.clarin.com/espectaculos/musi ... 37599.html
fannumberone

Joaquin Sabina

Post by fannumberone »

:shock:

Hola, Valentín. A mí me parece la persona ideal para traducir las canciones de Leonard Cohen. Además que tiene ya una canción con una interpretación libre de Cohen, "En pie de guerra"...y supongo que tendrá los permisos necesarios. Si no soportas a Sabina (como le pasa a mucha gente) lo tiras a la papelera, y resuelto. No serás el único. :lol:
Un saludo. Esperemos que Leonard se pase alguna vez por España ;-) por el Mediterráneo concretamente... :roll:... ;-) Saludos.
fannumberone

Post by fannumberone »

BEATRIZ SALLES wrote:Qué fuerte!
Sorry but I had to say it in Spanish..... Awful "version", never translation, of Show me the place.
I don't think LC knows about this.... It must have been a Sony thing for sure :cry: :cry:
No es una traducción literal, sino más bien una "interpretación" de la letra original (eso sí, muy del estilo de Sabina... :roll: ). Saludos.
valentin

Re: Joaquin Sabina

Post by valentin »

fannumberone wrote::shock:

Hola, Valentín. A mí me parece la persona ideal para traducir las canciones de Leonard Cohen. Además que tiene ya una canción con una interpretación libre de Cohen, "En pie de guerra"...y supongo que tendrá los permisos necesarios. Si no soportas a Sabina (como le pasa a mucha gente) lo tiras a la papelera, y resuelto. No serás el único. :lol:
Un saludo. Esperemos que Leonard se pase alguna vez por España ;-) por el Mediterráneo concretamente... :roll:... ;-) Saludos.
Not going to be needed throw it, and buy the special editions on vinyl and cd on the website of Cohen and I do not need Spanish. Thanks for the advice. It also has the wonderful translations dreamermusic!
fannumberone

Sí.

Post by fannumberone »

Es otra buena opción ;-) Salu2
Meritxell

Post by Meritxell »

Hello Fannúmerouno,

Wouldn´t you better post here in English, would you? just a matter of courtesy, so that everyone here in the forum could undestand your thoughts.
We know this is not a literal translation, we wouldn´t like this neither. We would prefer all the Spanish public being able to find the depht of Cohen´s poetry espressed in our language, Spanish.
What Sabina has done is just a "free" spanish version (I mean it doesn´t show the true meaning of the song). I think that´s what Beatriz and Valentín (and that I subscribe) were trying to express.
Joaquín Sabina is not the right person to translate or interpret Leonard Cohen. Selling the new album with these "versions" altogether will make people think those are the true words, sense and intention of Leonard Cohen. Being a Cohen fan, recognising having been inspired by him through the years, being one of the few Spanish artists who have been spreading Cohen´s work for ages, being a first class poet and singer and being extremely popular in our country 8probably the reason why Sony has chosen him) don´t give Joaquin Sabina the skills to be able to do a serious Spanish aproach to Leonard´s poetry.
I DON´T LIKE, and I will not bother reading his other "versions" because I have already ordered the CD otherwise. I don´t think Leonard Cohen would like it either, we are lucky he doesn´t speak any Spanish. If someone translate it for him I´m sure he would be upset.
And stating that I like and admire Joaquin Sabina, I felt very honnored meeting him at LC 2009 Barcelona concert and offering him a rose.
Best regards,
Meritxell
Thanks Bea for your help with my poor English. Bea, eres un solete (literal translation: Bea, you are my little sun)
1993: Barcelona.2008: Amsterdam.2009: New York, León, Cap Roig, Madrid, Barcelona. 2010: Florence, Marseille, Las Vegas x 2. 2012: Ghent, Amsterdam, Verona, Barcelona. 2013 Lucca, Berlin, Amsterdam
fannumberone

Post by fannumberone »

Hello Meritxel,
Joaquín Sabina is not the right person to translate or interpret Leonard Cohen :roll: ...

Ok, it´s your opinion. 8)
Chema

Post by Chema »

Only in Spain, in this moment no other countries, a famous songwriter has adapted the lyrics of "Old Ideas". Why? I do not know, but it's a good question.
Chema

Post by Chema »

We don't know the Sabina's work yet, but a translation always takes an adaptation. Sabina is a good poet and his work can be surprising for good.
blind

Post by blind »

So many people they could destroy like that...
the spanish verses based on cohen ones are very good.
If you think they can be done better please show them to us.
valentin

Post by valentin »

the debate is not joaquin sabina is a great poet or not, which obviously is not. Lorca, Machado, Ruben, Gil de Biedma, De Cuenca, Villena, Garcia Montero are poets. The debate is over Why invent Cohen's verses? Why not simply translate without contributing anything of yours? That is because they do not respect the words of Leonard Cohen?
Last edited by valentin on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chema

Post by Chema »

Valentín, traducir siempre es adaptar para entender todo un texto. No estás de acuerdo con esto??? Creo que cuando conozcamos todas las adaptaciones de Sabina podremos opinar correctamente. Hasta ahora, solo hemos visto un pequeño trozo de una adaptación.
blind

Post by blind »

Do you suggest that cohen shouldn't have added some images to Lorca's pequeño vals vienes because he is not a poet?¿?

Return to “OLD IDEAS”